Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864091 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #7075 on: 29 September, 2023, 05:42:04 pm »
Although they were apparently good buddies off stage.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7076 on: 29 September, 2023, 06:22:51 pm »
That Lynyrd Skynyrd were actually from Florida. I guess they were just sufficiently with it to realize that "Sweet home Florida-da" wouldn't make a good song!

That song was in riposte to some Neil Young songs referencing Alabama and the South.

In particular “Southern Man” I believe.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7077 on: 30 September, 2023, 01:48:30 pm »
That Donald Trump actually did something good. In 2019 he passed legislation that guaranteed Federal employees furloughed without pay during government shutdowns (occasioned by the Federal budget disagreements, such as the one about to happen) would get their back pay once normal service was resumed. OK they usually had, eventually, in the past, but it was never guaranteed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #7078 on: 30 September, 2023, 09:21:23 pm »
That Donald Trump actually did something good. In 2019 he passed legislation that guaranteed Federal employees furloughed without pay during government shutdowns (occasioned by the Federal budget disagreements, such as the one about to happen) would get their back pay once normal service was resumed. OK they usually had, eventually, in the past, but it was never guaranteed.

The rules are mad and draconian, you can’t even turn a federal government supplied computer on even if it’s in your house.

« Reply #7079 on: 30 September, 2023, 09:26:42 pm »
That the OS Maps app has maps for the USA and New Zealand included

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7080 on: 02 October, 2023, 10:48:00 pm »
That Abercrombie & Fitch is a thing, and furthermore it's not a Scottish law firm.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7081 on: 02 October, 2023, 11:19:37 pm »
Sounds like rhyming slang for some unpleasant ailment.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7082 on: 03 October, 2023, 09:27:54 am »
Sounds like rhyming slang for some unpleasant ailment.
;D

And as for Jack & Wills, you really don't want to get that.

(It's an offshoot of Abercrombie & Fitch, kind of A&F for students from what I see.)

« Reply #7083 on: 03 October, 2023, 11:06:13 am »
That Abercrombie & Fitch is a thing, and furthermore it's not a Scottish law firm.

You must have somehow dodged this earworm:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=70&v=NHuGG_FsC20&feature=youtu.be

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7084 on: 03 October, 2023, 11:43:55 am »

You must have somehow dodged this earworm:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=70&v=NHuGG_FsC20&feature=youtu.be

Barkata:  "What are you sodcasting?  It sounds like the Student Finance England hold music..."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7085 on: 03 October, 2023, 03:14:29 pm »
And I've just learned why Kim has learned that Abercrombie & Fitch is A Thing. But ICBA to read it.

In fact I learned it while reading this, which is far more interesting and I'd have thought more Kim-able too.

Ed: I've just realized there are currently two A&F stories: a silly one, that I'd seen while reading the above, and a nasty one.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7086 on: 06 October, 2023, 05:42:51 pm »
That Americans, or at least Californians, call cairns "ducks". Apparently if you put a little rock on top of a big rock, making a cairn, it looks like a duck. I guess ducks are funny shapes over there.

« Reply #7087 on: 09 October, 2023, 03:31:06 pm »
That the magnetic pole at the south polar region is actually a north magnetic pole (and visa versa).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7088 on: 09 October, 2023, 03:53:32 pm »
That Americans, or at least Californians, call cairns "ducks". Apparently if you put a little rock on top of a big rock, making a cairn, it looks like a duck. I guess ducks are funny shapes over there.

My observation of USAnian ducks (and Horrible Gooses) suggest that many of them differ little from BRITISH ones.  Especially the Horrible Gooses:

Horrible Gooses shouting abuse at the gulls next door by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #7089 on: 09 October, 2023, 04:11:42 pm »
That the magnetic pole at the south polar region is actually a north magnetic pole (and visa versa).

It is, though I think north and south are arbitrary definitions, the nice pictures of magnetic fields that show the lines radiating out of the north and into the south aren't entirely accurate as the force doesn't move, that really relates to the motion of charged particles relative to the field. But that can switch around with the particle charges, so the poles are in a sense arbitrary (they're consistent with special relativity), but there must always be a dipole, north cannot exist without a south and vice versa. Well, there are theoretical monopoles, but they imply significant symmetry violation.

Generally, it's a lot easier on the brain if you just accept that magnetism is just some kind of magic, like electrickery.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7090 on: 09 October, 2023, 04:14:34 pm »

My observation of USAnian ducks (and Horrible Gooses) suggest that many of them differ little from BRITISH ones.  Especially the Horrible Gooses:

Horrible Gooses shouting abuse at the gulls next door by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

De goosetibus non disputandum est.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7091 on: 09 October, 2023, 05:49:12 pm »
Generally, it's a lot easier on the brain if you just accept that magnetism is just some kind of magic, like electrickery.

It's magic, but at right angles.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7092 on: 09 October, 2023, 08:40:31 pm »

Goose trifle! Nom!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7093 on: 09 October, 2023, 10:49:12 pm »

Goose trifle! Nom!
Queensland special!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7094 on: 10 October, 2023, 10:25:32 am »

It's magic, but at right angles.

;D

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7095 on: 11 October, 2023, 11:00:30 pm »
Canadian thanksgiving is older than American thanksgiving, and it all derived from harvest festival. Since I was a kid, harvest festival was always the festival of donating tins to the food bank to the tune of all things bright and beautiful, now they sing about fluffy cauliflowers while donating bags of dried pasta and cartons of passata.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7096 on: 12 October, 2023, 12:10:11 am »
I'm not sure where the tins we collected for harvest festival went.  Something about 'old people in the village'. (I suppose this makes me old enough to remember when old people weren't the ones with all the money).  Songs about Jesus and vegetables were perennial, as befits a nominally-CofE primary school.

I do remember thinking that the lack of agricultural content seemed amiss.

« Reply #7097 on: 12 October, 2023, 10:11:29 am »
I remember one harvest festival when my younger son was still in junior school (so about 1996 ish) and he was the only one of two pupils who had brought in (home grown) produce; tomatoes and a pumpkin.  The visiting vicar specifically commented on the fact.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7098 on: 13 October, 2023, 01:30:37 pm »
I never knew the Isley Brothers were black :facepalm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67098878
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7099 on: 16 October, 2023, 07:05:19 pm »
there must always be a dipole, north cannot exist without a south and vice versa. Well, there are theoretical monopoles, but they imply significant symmetry violation.

Aha! You mean Div B = 0.  Thanks Dr Gauss!