Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864377 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #7175 on: 23 November, 2023, 01:17:21 pm »
The media reports suggest that it's a movie with little more than a tenuous connection to historical fact ("inspired by", no doubt), and that when challenged on this, Mr Scott's response might be lightly paraphrased as "So? Have you mistaken me for somebody who gives a fuck?"

Still had decent reviews though, albeit not from historians or the French (WOCAB).

« Reply #7176 on: 23 November, 2023, 05:49:01 pm »
I am looking forward to Ridley’s ‘Nelson’. Huge scope there for fun and games.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7177 on: 23 November, 2023, 08:07:24 pm »
There's a journalist in NL called Wierd Duk. Made me chortle when I saw his name come up on C4News tonight.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7178 on: 23 November, 2023, 08:25:17 pm »
There is a charity called The Lady Garden Foundation    https://www.ladygardenfoundation.com/     There was a piece in the local rag about a fundraiser event.

OK the name has relevance to the cause(s) . . .

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7179 on: 24 November, 2023, 02:25:44 pm »
I think there's a peer in the House of Lords called Lady Garden. This came up in a workshop about words for genitals once and some of us may have had giggling fits.

« Reply #7180 on: 24 November, 2023, 02:40:49 pm »
Back to F104 - the F104 and the U2 share a central section - ie the fuselage and wing roots.
Source - Skunkworks by Ben Rich.

« Reply #7181 on: 24 November, 2023, 06:32:43 pm »
That waste management companies have to clear fly-tipping inside 48 hours after it is reported.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7182 on: 24 November, 2023, 06:42:23 pm »
Today I are mostly learning that Wild West outlaw Big Nose George Parrott, following his lynching by an angry mob of townspeople, had part of his skull turned into an ashtray and some of his skin tanned and made into a pair of shoes worn by the first Governor of Wyoming.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7183 on: 24 November, 2023, 06:44:40 pm »
Today I are mostly learning that Wild West outlaw Big Nose George Parrott, following his lynching by an angry mob of townspeople, had part of his skull turned into an ashtray and some of his skin tanned and made into a pair of shoes worn by the first Governor of Wyoming.
Handy.

« Reply #7184 on: 24 November, 2023, 09:40:59 pm »
Over the last few days I have learnt that old buggers don't bounce as well as they did when they they were younger.

« Reply #7185 on: 25 November, 2023, 05:37:13 pm »
Replacement Stylus for my 40+ year old Ortofon VMS3 MkII cartridge are still available.

I reckon my turntable deserves one!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

sam

« Reply #7186 on: 26 November, 2023, 11:08:03 am »
That I literally cannot stop drying dishes once I start. A precariously balanced cup may trigger me; I'll reckon I can just take care of that one, and let the rest air dry... But no.

God knows why this activity is so moreish – perhaps it's because I used to be a professional dishwasher at a restaurant half a lifetime ago. (Until they promoted me to baker. Frankly I was better at dishes.)

Stock photo of dishes. Our drainer has never been this tidy.

« Reply #7187 on: 27 November, 2023, 09:08:10 pm »
That the founders of the USAAF and the RCAF were first cousins whose ancestral home was Aberdeenshire.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #7188 on: 28 November, 2023, 11:35:19 am »
That the tower you see from the M5 north of Bristol is not the Somerset Monument, it's the Tynedale Monument. Been telling the kids the wrong information with dad-like regularity for years.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7189 on: 01 December, 2023, 06:30:32 pm »
Today I are mostly learning that, according to one scholar* in Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden:

the irish created Islam  in the first place to get the holy lands meaning irish government and nationalists parties are to blame for bringing them here. […] Yip thats right the pope /vatican and catholics created Islam and all the terrorist parties that are the cancer of the world !so save your criticism for your own leaders the true rulers of islam ?!

Whatever she’s on, I want some.

* Lie

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7190 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:22:20 pm »
Today I have learned about "Ghana Must Go" bags. I had no idea that was their name. Or even, one of their many names. They used to be a common sight at Victoria coach station on the Eurolines and other services from and to Eastern Europe, particularly the eastern and southern countries, but I'm not aware of them having been given any particular name. The origins of the name seem a little unpleasant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-67581683
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7191 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:35:58 pm »
I thought they were laundry bags, me.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7192 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:43:08 pm »
Washingt(ton) Must Go!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7193 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:14:39 pm »
Quote from: Mr Larrington
Today I are mostly learning that, according to one scholar* in Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden:

the irish created Islam  in the first place to get the holy lands meaning irish government and nationalists parties are to blame for bringing them here. […] Yip thats right the pope /vatican and catholics created Islam and all the terrorist parties that are the cancer of the world !so save your criticism for your own leaders the true rulers of islam ?!

Whatever she’s on, I want some.

* Lie
Gobsmacked.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #7194 on: 04 December, 2023, 12:16:32 pm »
[Yesterday]

Barilla (Pasta) has a Spotify where each playlist lasts the cooking time of the pasta

Presumably everyone else knew this in January 2021 when they set them up.

As Barilla are vocally homophobic I will use these to time the cooking of other pasta. That'll show them.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7195 on: 04 December, 2023, 01:10:46 pm »
I did not know either of those things. Google suggests Barilla have reformed: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/5/7/18535740/barilla-homophobia-italy-chick-fil-a-comparison but as it's still the same people in charge, you have to wonder.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7196 on: 04 December, 2023, 01:30:53 pm »
Never mind the homophobic CEO, I'm boycotting them for that atrocious cookies policy.

« Reply #7197 on: 04 December, 2023, 03:13:45 pm »
Never mind the homophobic CEO, I'm boycotting them for that atrocious cookies policy.
That wasn't them, that was some god-awful advertisers being self congratulatory 'magazine'. I've swapped the link to a different one, which is differently bad.
I did not know either of those things. Google suggests Barilla have reformed: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/5/7/18535740/barilla-homophobia-italy-chick-fil-a-comparison but as it's still the same people in charge, you have to wonder.
I note neither company suffered financially from their 19301830s CEOs remarks. Which just agrees with other research I've seen about companies' ethical policies and consumer behaviours. We say we care but we still buy the same crap.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7198 on: 04 December, 2023, 04:35:02 pm »
My pasta is either Tesco value or equivalent (probably made by Barilla), or wholewheat, organic, handwoven by fairtrade hobbits (who probably work for Barilla).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7199 on: 04 December, 2023, 05:11:12 pm »
That wasn't them, that was some god-awful advertisers being self congratulatory 'magazine'. I've swapped the link to a different one, which is differently bad.

Which I really ought to have noticed, but there was a massive un-refusable cookies popup demanding my attention...   :facepalm: