Author Topic: Post-Christmas ACME Group Permanent, Friday 28th December 2018  (Read 9779 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Post-Christmas ACME Group Permanent, Friday 28th December 2018
« Reply #25 on: 23 December, 2018, 05:21:23 pm »
I asked Tomsk if I could miss the out and back to Chatteris, 'cos it would still be over 200km. He wouldn't allow it, he said the Green Welly was the best bit of the ride :o

And in Chatteris you pass the turning to Boadicea Court, an essential part of the experience too.

Another thing to watch for is closure of the A1123 at Earith, due to flooding of the Ouse Washes [you may have noticed the gates and warning signs just before the road dips off the banks on the Old and New Bedford Rivers], but it is possible to return from Chatteris via Sutton and Chain Causeway - there's a footbridge over the Ouse that way.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #26 on: 23 December, 2018, 11:22:24 pm »
Can’t make it out unfortunately folks, hoping to join for epiphany though... Have fun! And Happy Christmas!
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #27 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:59:21 am »
last minute changes notwithstanding, I am up for this - are we going to take a call on the weather on the 26th?

Happy Christmas everyone!

« Reply #28 on: 24 December, 2018, 10:47:19 am »
last minute changes notwithstanding, I am up for this - are we going to take a call on the weather on the 26th?

Happy Christmas everyone!

It all looks benign for the next week, so I think we'll be fine.

Happy Christmas too :-)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #29 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:35:24 am »
Jos and I are planning to ride this one.

Is the plan still to meet at the carpark for an 0800 departure :thumbsup:

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #30 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:38:59 am »
I'm hoping that's the plan! Looking to get out of the house....

« Reply #31 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:39:09 am »

Meet from 07:00 at the Paradise in Dunmow [by the War Memorial in the middle of the town], starting at 08:00 so we'd have until 22:00 to get back on a 14 hour schedule!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:42:02 am »
Everyone seems to have just woken from a post-Christmas snooze!

Post-Christmas ACME Group Permanent proposal, all welcome:

Start in Dunmow with breakfast at the Paradise Cafe [normally opens 07:00 - I'll check holiday opening].

Nice cafes at Buntingford, bakers at Potton or the Coach House hotel for a coffee, late lunch at the Green Welly, the delights of the A14 services, pub stop on the long final leg, with the option of a 'hill-dodger's long-cut' avoiding Royston Lane, Saffron Walden etc [only about 3km further] and the Angel and Harp, Churchend, Dunmow for the arrivee.

...And Paradise are expecting us from 07:00  :thumbsup:

Jos and I are planning to ride this one.

Rec/Dourdan Pavilion opposite our house is the best bet for free car parking, but don't knock on our front door - I'll be up at the Paradise by 07:00 and the rest of the house will most likely be asleep!

rob

« Reply #33 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:51:33 am »
I can't ride but I did drive down the A14 on the way home Sunday night.

It was dark but I'm pretty sure that the bridge over the A14 into Cambridge services was a bit missing.   I'm assuming that this is part of the major works along that stretch but it will be interesting to see how they route you over (under ?) the A14 now.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:16:36 am »
^ Highways England says all A14 work has ceased until 2nd January and no road closures. Nothing on the A14 services website either, so fingers crossed ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:26:17 am »
Just a reminder to bring an entry form if you don't already have a Boudicca 200 brevet. I'll have a few blank ones for those who forget, but having everything pre-filled in and ready to go would help ... and £3 too!

I think we may need to sub-divide the peloton as there are quite a number riding now. I can be a roving controller, but otherwise, don't forget to gather those receipts! If I see you at the finish I will process cards there and then, and upload the results when I get home.

rob

« Reply #36 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:30:01 am »
^ Highways England says all A14 work has ceased until 2nd January and no road closures. Nothing on the A14 services website either, so fingers crossed ...

(It's quiet at work).    Google maps shows a new bridge a bit West of the old one.   It looks like, as you approach the A14 from the North you now turn Right at a roundabout that takes you over the bridge, instead of the old 'left before A14 and cross bridge'.

Hope you all have a good day out.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: 27 December, 2018, 12:20:04 pm »
^ Cheers rob and Merry Christmas to you!

Diverting via Fenstanton would be a bit of a pain. With any luck, the new crossing will have a super new cyclepath alongside it like the bridge over the new A14 south of St Ives.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #38 on: 27 December, 2018, 02:30:20 pm »
Sadly we won't be joining you as fhoot is working tomorrow.. Have a great ride and please try to get some good photos - we need a new December ride picture for the website and some nice bright ACME jerseys would be just the thing to brighten up the winter (and you get a mention and link on the home page too)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: 27 December, 2018, 04:12:26 pm »
Sadly we won't be joining you as fhoot is working tomorrow.. Have a great ride and please try to get some good photos - we need a new December ride picture for the website and some nice bright ACME jerseys would be just the thing to brighten up the winter (and you get a mention and link on the home page too)

Sorry you won't be joining us, but we'll try and get some photos.  :thumbsup: Potentially 10 starters ???

« Reply #40 on: 27 December, 2018, 05:00:13 pm »
Still in! :)
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #41 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:22:13 pm »
^ Cheers rob and Merry Christmas to you!

Diverting via Fenstanton would be a bit of a pain. With any luck, the new crossing will have a super new cyclepath alongside it like the bridge over the new A14 south of St Ives.

At some point in the very near future, a bridleway-grade bridge will be installed at the point where the old road bridge crossed, chopping off the new 1km loop and avoiding the exit/entry slips to the new A14(M) section they're building, crossing over by a more direct route than the route for vehicles.  They haven't started work on it yet — we drove through a few hours ago and nothing to see.

For now, turn right at the first roundabout after leaving Swavesey, then SO @ RBT to cross the A14, and then left @ RBT back towards the services — three new roundabouts, plus the old one at the services.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:00:16 pm »
^ Cheers for the local knowledge, and Merry Christmas Wilkyboy and Family!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #43 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:11:47 pm »
HK is bailing from joining you tomorrow as a virus is giving her a bit too much gyp for a longish ride in cold air.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #44 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:44:47 pm »
I did plan to ride the Gavin and Stacey 400km over the Christmas period but my bike needs some maintenance. That said though, I think it can make 200km! So I am in for this. I don't have a printer though, but I do have a pen and £3 to enter, so hopefully Tomsk has some spare forms! Will see you tomorrow in Great Dunmow.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #45 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:57:11 pm »
and Merry Christmas Wilkyboy and Family!

And to you and yours, Tom!  :thumbsup:

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #46 on: 28 December, 2018, 08:11:57 am »
So sorry guys, didn’t hear my alarm and have missed the start. Have a good ride!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #47 on: 28 December, 2018, 10:04:46 pm »
Nice day, so I rode out to meet up with the group somewhere the other side of Papworth Everard.  Passed the A-group, going à tempo in the opposite direction on the short A428 section, then rode with Carl for a bit, before doubling back to the B group with Tomsk leading.  Rode — and chatted — with to St Ives, where I diverged to bag me some post-Christmas squares — it was great to see everyone  :thumbsup:

Missed one — by a mile — but got the rest.  Square, that is.  Upped by one to 18x18.

Rode back to Cambridge with omloopnova, happenstancesnically bumping into him on the Cambridge Busway.

A lovely day to be out on the bike — no weight lost, but still eight months to PBP-day.

Strava + photos here:  https://www.strava.com/activities/2040832388 *

* The photos aren't very good — shot into the low, winter sun on a compact was always going to be a game of luck ... and no ACME shirts on display, either — only in the A group  :facepalm:

« Reply #48 on: 29 December, 2018, 06:22:21 pm »
So sorry guys, didn’t hear my alarm and have missed the start. Have a good ride!

Unlucky, you missed a very good ride. I saw you out today though, heading between Terling and the Walthams. I was driving in the opposite direction.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #49 on: 29 December, 2018, 07:23:07 pm »
Spies everywhere!

Was doing a test ride on the new parts I installed, 75 miles mostly on the Stansted Airport Express route with lunch at Witham Wetherspoons :).

See you all (I hope!) on the Kelvedon Oyster.
ACME - Suffolk Branch