Author Topic: Facebook dilemma  (Read 1811 times)

simonali

Facebook dilemma
« on: 10 April, 2008, 01:13:57 pm »
Through the wonders of the internet phenomomomnonon wonder that is Facebook I managed to get in touch with a friend who I've not seen for around 20 years. We've since only swapped numbers and had a single conversation on the phone in which he invited me to his house.

All well and good you may think, but the invite included the proviso that I bring my toolkit and do some work for him while I'm there! I can't help but think this is rather cheeky. What do you think (taking into consideration that he lives over 2 hours away by car, too)?

Re: Facebook dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2008, 01:31:49 pm »
is it a bike thing? or is he wanting to save cash on a car mechanic?
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

simonali

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2008, 01:43:13 pm »
No I'm an electrician. Funnily enough he is a qualified car mechanic!

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2008, 03:48:09 pm »
cheeky bastard then. unless you have some car mechanic stuff he can do for you while you do the 'leccy.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2008, 03:49:56 pm »
Tell you can't come because your car has broken down. Invite him over and ask him if he can bring his tools.  ;D

simonali

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2008, 04:55:07 pm »
The main problem is that I'm an industrial sparky and have never done domestic stuff in my life. It'd probably take me all day!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2008, 04:58:02 pm »
Ask him to descibe exactly what the job is.  Be honest.  Explain that you need to know this so that you know what tools to bring (you'd rather not bring everything) and also because you'll have see if it's a large chargable job.
It may be you just need a pair of crimpers for five minutes and he'll buy you a pint in his gratitude.  It may also turn out that he was thinking of taking the piss.  If the later is the case, no harm done.  That's a relationship you can live without and it's better that you find out now.  No loss to you.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rae

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2008, 11:54:44 pm »
The main problem is that I'm an industrial sparky 

Hmmm.   Hook him up to 3-phase and he won't be asking you back in a hurry..