Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 103179 times)

Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #25 on: 24 November, 2011, 03:08:34 pm »
If there isn't a control between Seascale and Carnforth there would be nothing to stop you going over Ulpha Fell, then from Dunnerdale to Broughton Mills, then to Lowick Green on the minor roads, and to Greenodd, then a fast ride on the A590. The A590 wouldn't be very nice, but the route from Eskdale to Lowick Green is nice, and it's quiet.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 24 November, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »
We still need more info - it's not yet clear who's gonna have the biggest dick on this ride.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #27 on: 24 November, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »
Exit Stage Left is right (work that one out)!. There is another route between Seascale and Carnforth. However, looking at OS Landranger map 96 (Barrow-in-Furness), the climb over Ulpha Fell looks equally demanding as Hardknott & Wrynose, so I'm not sure it's worth the detour as you'd add a few extra miles on as well. I'm also planning a photographer on Hardknott so there'll be no photo either if you detour. The A590 isn't the nicest road in the world either, although there are some other A-roads to contend with on the event. They include: A59 - Gisburn; A61 - Thirsk; A171 - Whitby; A67 - Darlington; A686 - Alston; A66 - Keswick & A6 - Carnforth.

Andy Corless

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #28 on: 24 November, 2011, 05:10:33 pm »
I've no chance of getting round this, but I may be able to lend a hand at the Seascale control (I live close by) :)

I don't think you would gain too much by going over Ulpha or Corney Fell, both are tough climbs in their own right - although I think Corney fell is a max 20% and Ulpha not much more, and they both add on distance

I've just had a silly thought. My house is at about 430k, that would be a good sleep stop (brain reminds Marcus he is in not fit state to attempt a hilly 600)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Andy Corless

« Reply #29 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:28:09 pm »
Some route photos for the Pendle 600:

Sutton Bank, North Yorkshire

Rosedale Chimney, North Yorkshire

Hartside Pass, Cumbria

View from Whinlatter Pass, Cumbria

Hardknott Pass, Cumbria

Wrynose Pass, with Hardknott Pass in the background, Cumbria

Trough of Bowland, Lancashire

Andy Corless

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:33:24 pm »
This could be next year's walking weekend!
(I sincerely hope it's not BRM only)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #31 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »
This could be next year's walking weekend!
My thoughts entirely. At least the sun seems to be out...
Mojo is being awakened.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »
And all day Monday AND tuesday to recover thanks to lizzie.

I've cycled a little in trough of bowland in my youth, but would love to have been available for this one, looks amazing! Please offer it as a perm at some point Andy.

Really great photos as well!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #33 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:42:47 pm »
I have been looking at possible routes and am wondering how Rosedale Chimney is climbed. The climb is done in a south westerly direction and I think it must be on the Ripon to Robin Hood's Bay section - which is mainly north easterly.
 ???
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #34 on: 25 November, 2011, 12:49:19 pm »
Andy, will there be a control in Robin Hoods Bay?
Nobody really talks about  that road from the seaside to the car park. I have never cycled up it, as I have only visited Robin Hoods Bay by car. Walking up is bad enough, I doubt I could get up there on a bike without walking.

Andy Corless

« Reply #35 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:44:45 pm »
Robin Hood's Bay

There is a control here!

Andy Corless

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »
Is it waaaaaay over on the LH edge of the photo - at the top of the hill?  :D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #37 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:54:56 pm »
Andy, will there be a control in Robin Hoods Bay?
Nobody really talks about  that road from the seaside to the car park. I have never cycled up it, as I have only visited Robin Hoods Bay by car. Walking up is bad enough, I doubt I could get up there on a bike without walking.

You mean this one here?

"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #38 on: 25 November, 2011, 10:32:19 pm »
Yes thats the one.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #39 on: 07 January, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »
Just booked Blackburn TL for the Sunday after the ride. £19 - good deal.

Am I correct in assuming that the A2 will be Friday and Saturday night? Sleeping bag in hall type facilities on the Friday and what ever happens on Saturday.

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #40 on: 08 January, 2012, 08:20:49 pm »
Having read this thread, I've made a mental note about this ride as it sounds like it could be legendary, and for me the fact it's on a Bank Holiday weekend is very useful. Defiantly a ride to do on the geared bike.

I don't think you would gain too much by going over Ulpha or Corney Fell, both are tough climbs in their own right - although I think Corney fell is a max 20% and Ulpha not much more, and they both add on distance

If riding Seascale > Carnforth by choice then I'd opt to go over Corney Fell (assuming it's not Sellafield o'clock) over Hardknott & Wynrose. Corney is long, but it's not overly step, although there's a number of decent climbs one would have to do after Corney. However, I'll just do what I'm told / forced into by info controls.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #41 on: 30 March, 2012, 10:30:58 pm »
Well I'm entered, however I am sure this will NOT be an easy ride, but certainly one to remember by the fire, (with my pipe  ??? and slippers  ::-)...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Re: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #42 on: 01 April, 2012, 04:10:29 pm »
Dammit Andy, you've got me tempted.  This is not good for my new year's resolution to do less audax!

You can call in on me mam in Darlo for tea and sarnies.

I'm wondering how it goes up Rosedale Chimney, too - you'd need a couple of extra controls.

Looks like a cracking route, through some of my favourite places. Well done, Andy.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #43 on: 22 April, 2012, 08:18:00 pm »
I'd thought about doing this ride, but something else has come up. However, I'd already booked a family room in the Burnely Travelodge for the Friday night, which is about 13 km from Pendleton. The room cost me £19. Does anyone want it for, say, a tenner?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #44 on: 22 April, 2012, 09:15:51 pm »
I'd thought about doing this ride, but something else has come up. However, I'd already booked a family room in the Burnely Travelodge for the Friday night, which is about 13 km from Pendleton. The room cost me £19. Does anyone want it for, say, a tenner?
I'll take it.

What type of room is it? If there is another rider wanting to share I am up for what my children call "stranger danger".

αdαmsκι

« Reply #45 on: 22 April, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »
What type of room is it? If there is another rider wanting to share I am up for what my children call "stranger danger".

Cool. Tis a family room, whatever that means. I'll PM you details.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #46 on: 23 April, 2012, 07:07:38 am »
I'll take it.

Ridehard and I would love to join you if the room is still available?

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #47 on: 23 April, 2012, 02:25:58 pm »
In like Sin, looks like fun. Now ot convince the OH that I am allowed travel accross the water twice in one month.

« Reply #48 on: 28 April, 2012, 11:18:25 pm »

If not, then I've got a room booked for Sunday and Monday in the Blackburn Travelodge.
It's handy being on a 4 day weekend. Anyone up for some touring on the Monday and Tuesday?
I'll be on my fixed. I'm not sure it's worth gearing down. I'd need such a low gear to get up those hills I'd be spinning at 200rpm on the flat.
Or maybe I should use my mountain bike, with very low gears and hydraulic disk brakes...?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #49 on: 29 April, 2012, 01:29:02 pm »

If not, then I've got a room booked for Sunday and Monday in the Blackburn Travelodge.
It's handy being on a 4 day weekend. Anyone up for some touring on the Monday and Tuesday?
I'll be on my fixed. I'm not sure it's worth gearing down. I'd need such a low gear to get up those hills I'd be spinning at 200rpm on the flat.
Or maybe I should use my mountain bike, with very low gears and hydraulic disk brakes...?
I have booked the Blackburn TL on Sunday as well. Never know might end up in the pub  :thumbsup: