Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 103975 times)

Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #100 on: 30 May, 2012, 07:04:48 pm »
Good luck to everyone riding this weekend - I appear to have entered ages ago, but as I work for the man and can't get Friday off work to make it financially possible to travel I'm going to be a DNS I'm afraid - this will have to go on the rides for next year list!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #101 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:04:24 pm »
Good luck Revellinho, it will be a completely awesome achievement when you finish!

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #102 on: 01 June, 2012, 09:58:22 pm »
I also am DNSing. Caught late at work and missed the boat, literally.

Hope everyone else enjoys it, good luck.

« Reply #103 on: 01 June, 2012, 10:13:50 pm »
Eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat...

... hexham pizza place phone number in mobile... and rest.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #104 on: 02 June, 2012, 02:13:32 pm »
Pendle 600 latest:

14-riders started from Pendleton at 06:00am this morning. They are:

Steven Abraham
Robert Bialek
Steven Bryce
Steven Ferry
Mark Gray
Simon Grove
Ian Hellawell
John Jackson
Peter Johnson
Justin Jones
Mike Kelly
Paul Revell
Ian Ryall
Peter Turner

I'll be catching up with them at Seascale tomorrow.

Andy Corless
Organiser: Pendle 600

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #105 on: 02 June, 2012, 09:24:23 pm »
I hope all goes well - shame I had to DNS - what news from the field??
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #106 on: 02 June, 2012, 10:17:12 pm »
I've just been speaking to Andy. All 14 starters were still going at Robin Hood's Bay earlier this afternoon, None of the riders are expected in Seascale until at least 6am though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #107 on: 03 June, 2012, 01:00:34 pm »
at 12pm 13 of the 14 riders had passed Seascale (~480km)

« Reply #108 on: 03 June, 2012, 08:29:10 pm »
Finished!  Pendle 600 conquered!

Finished in a group of 3. We were 2nd back in. 37hrs10mins - with no sleep.

In the pub now enjoying a recovery drink (or 2) :)

Excellent ride, but hard as nails.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #109 on: 04 June, 2012, 08:53:27 am »
Got in with about an hour to spare having ridden 649k, due to poor navigation... 'stanhope' and 'staindrop' look awfully similar on a dark night when you're wet, cold, tired and your glasses are covered in mizzle.  That was tough - slept for 8 hrs solid in the back of the car outside the pub after a couple of pints.

« Reply #110 on: 04 June, 2012, 09:49:53 am »
Paul, that's an amazing achievement - I can't remember when I last had 8 hours sleep!

If you can ever be bothered, I'd love to hear about the ride, some time.

Well done!

« Reply #111 on: 04 June, 2012, 10:20:42 am »
Thanks Andy of such a great route. :thumbsup:
 I think we must have climbed every 1:3 and 1:4 in North Yorkshire.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #112 on: 04 June, 2012, 10:35:34 am »
Finished in a group of 3. We were 2nd back in. 37hrs10mins - with no sleep.
Now very glad I didn't attempt this!

Well done all. Sounds epic.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #113 on: 04 June, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »
I've just uploaded my GPX file from the ride into bikehike.  It reports 10150m climbing!

Anyone else got any data?

Eddington: 114 Miles

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #114 on: 04 June, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »
Does that make the Pendle the hilliest 600 on the calendar  ???
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #115 on: 04 June, 2012, 03:38:15 pm »
This was my first ever DNF due to well basically failing. I was quite pleased with how I had ridden up to Seascale. No sleep during the night and had dozzies after the descent from Hartside. Slept for about 20 minutes, rode well to Penrith and then had more dozzies near Keswick when a short snooze at the side of the road was required. Rode well to Seascale and was very pleased with my climbing. When I left Seascale I was up for the Lake District passes then I nearly fell asleep on my bike about 5km from Seascale. Waited around for a short while and felt like I really wanted to go to sleep. Realised there and then the game was up. Rode back to Seascale and discussed options about getting to the start with Andy. Local trains do not run on Sundays and the nearest station was at Windermere so I had to scale the passes. Did this very slowly and walked all the steep sections. Got a train about 5pm to Preston and then cycled the 20 miles to Pendleton and arrived at about the same time as the brave souls who finished.

I managed all the climbs that were below 30%, but none 30% or 33%. If I try this again I will have a triple. My lowest gear of 34/27 was just not low enough.

I really enjoyed the route but this is not a fast ride. Even at my best I think it would have been my slowest ever 600, and when you factor in the fact that I did not have fours hours sleep all that climbing really did slow me down. I think that some of the 33% descents would be very hairy if the roads had been wet.

Unfinished business - hope this runs again.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #116 on: 04 June, 2012, 03:45:55 pm »
That's a shame, but well done on getting that far round. Even more incredible you still conquered Hardknott and Wrynose after packing - chapeau.

(It is possible to get trains from Whitehaven-Carlisle or further South Barrow-Lancaster on a Sunday but unfortunately there hasn't been a Sunday service in the middle (Whitehaven-Barrow) since Beeching).

I left the Seascale base at about 10am, but if I'd still been there I'd have offered you a lift.

« Reply #117 on: 04 June, 2012, 04:01:15 pm »
This looks like a real teeth grinder of a weekend, I'm envious I wasn't able to start now! 650km on no sleep is impressive, well done to all those competing.

The closest I've got to Audaxing this weekend is about 600 pints on no sleep, and I'm having to use recepits to work out where I have been... I might sleep in a bus stop outside the pub tonight to give it the authentic Audax feel.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #118 on: 04 June, 2012, 04:07:26 pm »
(It is possible to get trains from Whitehaven-Carlisle or further South Barrow-Lancaster on a Sunday

If I had thought of that I would not need my cleats replacing.  :'(
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #119 on: 04 June, 2012, 04:28:55 pm »
As a relatively slow rider, I was inevitably going to find this ride a bit of a struggle. I have the dubious distinction of being the first to pack, at Hexham (338km).

The ride over to Robin Hood's Bay was very tough, but I was pleased to see three other riders just leaving as I arrived. After a restorative full-English breakfast, I left the control with an hour in hand. I made up a bit of time between Stokesley and Barnard Castle, but I found the section between BC and Hexham very tough. The combination of hills, tiredness and poor visibility due to mist and drizzle meant that I made very slow progress. I stopped just before Hexham for a short sleep, and arrived there just out of time, but strangely relieved that the ordeal was now over!

Many thanks to Andy for organising this ride. It took me to some very picturesque places that I had never previously visited, and it allowed me to test and find my limits!

« Reply #120 on: 04 June, 2012, 07:30:37 pm »
What an epic!
Thanks to Andy for putting it on and I hope that he repeats it so that all the disappointed DNS/DNF riders can have another crack at it.
It was my first 600 and also the first time I had to keep an eye on the clock to make sure I would finish inside the time limit (even without any sleep stop) as I seriously under-estimated how slowly I would be riding due to all those hills.
However if PeteJ is right and it has over 10000m of climbing then a more relaxed Super Grimpeur time limit would make it a more realistic option for steadier riders.
Particular thanks to Simon G for keeping me company for most of the ride and apologies to Revellinho for not stopping for a chat as we passed him on the run in to Clitheroe but by then I was focused on finishing and the pint (or 2) that I was going to enjoy at the pub shortly afterwards.
TBH I didn't realise he was also on the ride as I hadn't seen him at any of the controls and assumed he was just out enjoying the stunning scenery in the Trough of Bowland.

Who managed to ride Hardknott & Wrynose after 500km? (I didn't)   
Particular respect to Bianchi Boy for riding/walking Hardknott & Wrynose after he had packed (or had he?).
If you are still on the route and within the time limit aren't you still officially on the ride even if you have packed mentally?

Next up Mille Alba ; should be a doddle by comparison

p.s I hope I don't regret saying that

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #121 on: 04 June, 2012, 08:05:52 pm »
Particular respect to Bianchi Boy for riding/walking Hardknott & Wrynose after he had packed (or had he?).

More walking than cycling.

Well I had ran out of energy and I had no intention of finishing. I just had to get back to Pendleton because that was where my car was. Exhaustion played strange tricks on my mind. When discussing the options for getting back with Andy I had confirmed that there were no local trains and I did not even think that it might be easier to cycle to another station after it had been mentioned that trains were available from Windermere.

If this runs again I will try to make it. Unfinished business.

« Reply #122 on: 04 June, 2012, 11:48:16 pm »
Quick ride report on the reports thread, as there were so few of us on the ride, but obviously quite a few others eyeing it up.  Felt good about finishing as, subject to validation, that is my first 600 and first SR, also done solely with AAA rides for good measure.  Next target is to get a better bike!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #123 on: 05 June, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
Thanks very much Andy for organising an extremeley tough and challenging ride

I enjoyed this ride immensley and will be back next year - If it's running again?

High Points:  a) The dramatic Hexham to Penrith stage - especially the long winding decent to the control - I felt like 'Lord Audax of Hartside' as I forged through the dramatic lanscape entirely on my own and with not sole on the road
b) scaling Hardknot Pass

Low points: a) feeling like I'd ridden the hardest AAA170K of my life at Robin Hood's Bay and then suddenly realising I only annother 450K to go
b) narrowly missing a right royal pasting from two of the biggest and scariest jordies I have ever seen; somewhere between Barnard Castle and Hexham

Special thanks to Bianchi Boy & also to John - see you at the registartion for Mile Alba!

J

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #124 on: 05 June, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »
I've just uploaded my GPX file from the ride into bikehike.  It reports 10150m climbing!
Could you post the data publicly so that us Wannabes can drool over it?
(e.g. load to bikely, or just post the GPX where we can link to it)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles