Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 103884 times)

Phil W

Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #425 on: 25 June, 2013, 09:02:43 pm »
On my list for 2015 during PBP build up, diary filling up already :-)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #426 on: 25 June, 2013, 09:03:11 pm »
I wouldn't use it as your qualifier 600 though
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #427 on: 25 June, 2013, 09:06:17 pm »

Agreed.  Get an early season banker before tackling this.

Not a normal 600 and has opportunities to really bite you.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Phil W

« Reply #428 on: 25 June, 2013, 09:07:19 pm »
I reckon the BCM 600 can be my qualifier

« Reply #429 on: 25 June, 2013, 09:53:07 pm »

Agreed.  Get an early season banker before tackling this.

Not a normal 600 and has opportunities to really bite you.

It bit me big style.  Just goes to show that you should never take a ride for granted.  I had a 600 under my belt already, I did not prepare well due to work/family, I'd done it before, so I was way too casual.  I thought that I could rock up and ride it.  I found out the hard way that it wasn't going to be that way.  In a way it's a blessing in disguise, as I won't be doing that again!

I'd also say that I enjoyed watching the video upthread.  Hearing about Hartside, which I came down in the light, made me almost glad that I packed!  Instead of doing that, I was safe and sound in my foil bag fast asleep.  That was 200g well worth carrying.  The ones who rode through that night really deserved the tailwind to head East again.  That exposed stretch to Keswick must have been a 'mare.  The shelter of the trees on the Whinlatter must have been a real boon.

« Reply #430 on: 25 June, 2013, 10:00:46 pm »
I've done a 17 minute video. There are a few glitches, and the music comes in too loud at 2 mins 34 seconds, the music will not be to everyone's taste, but the lyric fits. Check out the Pirate Funk video on Youtube.

Fantastic!!! Really enjoyed that!!!  ;D...And just how often do you get to pre-order your pizza on the road to the control?!!  :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #431 on: 25 June, 2013, 10:22:34 pm »
Great video, Damon. Had me laughing and wincing in equal measures. And made me want to have a go in 2015!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #432 on: 25 June, 2013, 10:33:55 pm »
Where can I see more pictures of the Thorn? It's a lovely bike but I never took a closer look :)

« Reply #433 on: 25 June, 2013, 11:02:19 pm »
My intention had been to test equipment and methods for LEL, but also to focus on the ride in Yorkshire, as a prelude to the Tour. But I realised that the early start and the cold weather weren't conducive to survival. So I went home, rested and picked up the ride at Barnard Castle.
It would have been nice to film the final Jubilee and Trough of Bowland climbs, but it was better to film the riders coming into Langwathby, and to help out with that control. Just finding people on the road is an art in itself. I think I'd have been capable of riding the event in about 2001.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #435 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:27:04 am »
Marcus, that's a great write-up.  Once again, congratulations on a superb effort to everyone.  I watched the video (thanks ESL) and was horrified at the conditions you were all experiencing.  I'm full of admiration for all of you and that anyone conquered this ride without walking, and it seems to have been at least a few.  Dr Mekon's masterclass in zig-zagging up either Wrynose or Hardknott was a jaw-dropper.  The road was so wet but he was riding so smoothly there didn't seem to be any possibility of wheel-spin.  Incredibly impressive riding.

Well done all!

Hillbilly

« Reply #436 on: 26 June, 2013, 11:15:57 am »
And a bit of write up

Another fine record. 

Good luck with you adventures on the continent, which the Pendle will have no doubt given you a bit of an insight into.  Hopefully you won't get the same conditions on top of the Pyrenees as on Hartside!  Be sure to write about that adventure, as although I am not minded to do it this year, it is something I suspect I'll try my hand at in the future.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #437 on: 26 June, 2013, 11:20:24 am »
Thanks! The Super Randonees are quite interesting due to the relaxed time limits (50 hours for ones with 10000m of ascent and I get 60 hours to do this one due to the 15000m of climbing) - so it's 3 good hard days in the saddle, but with opportunity to sleep in a hotel each night (I hope!).  So whilst it will be hard, I hope to be able to enjoy some relaxation and eating well. 

Does of course require that they rebuild the roads around Tourmalet after the awful flooding they've had in the past couple of weeks.

It should also be noted that French ascent figures seem different from UK ones - if we take ridebygps as the most accurate, then my ride actually has around 18000m of climbing, whereas bikeroutetoaster has it at 14500m.  Then the actually climbing is different - no 33% knee smashers!
Right! What's next?

Phil W

« Reply #438 on: 26 June, 2013, 12:40:57 pm »
Great account, but you must stop writing them up as they keep encouraging me to ride them, and my list is growing faster than I can ride them  ;D

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #439 on: 26 June, 2013, 12:46:29 pm »
Where can I see more pictures of the Thorn? It's a lovely bike but I never took a closer look :)
Mine? Cheers. It's taken a while, but it's now set up pretty well for me, I think. I'll try to post something in the Members' Bikes thread of the gallery once it's cleaned up.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #440 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:03:26 pm »
I've done a 17 minute video. There are a few glitches, and the music comes in too loud at 2 mins 34 seconds, the music will not be to everyone's taste, but the lyric fits. Check out the Pirate Funk video on Youtube.

http:// www.you tube.com/watch?v=903iZjUCQx4&feature=youtu.be
Really enjoyed that - well done to all the actors!

I liked the rainbow at the start, and the sheep moment at 11:20ish. And everything else of course.

Was the DrMekon tacking shot taken on Wrynose (the 2nd easier climb)? I've only been over there once, things always look different on film. I've never seen tacking filmed so perfectly.

(The music is great. I just think you should look for subjects that suit your musical preference, as this way round really doesn't seem to work for you. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

« Reply #441 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:24:20 pm »
Well done to all who even started this one.

I've never done anything that tough but I can fully appreciate, from experience, that prolonged cold,  rain and wind never made a ride any easier. 

« Reply #442 on: 26 June, 2013, 02:38:32 pm »
Mine? Cheers. It's taken a while, but it's now set up pretty well for me, I think. I'll try to post something in the Members' Bikes thread of the gallery once it's cleaned up.

Ahh it must be, I understand the choice of avatar now as well haha! Separated at birth!
Thanks I'll keep an eye out for it :)

« Reply #443 on: 26 June, 2013, 04:59:04 pm »
I've done some fiddling with the sound on the video. Boosting the levels of the interviews and lowering the level of the music. So it's a better version to link to. As I say, this was a technical rehearsal for LEL.

There would have been two of us if the weather had been good. But the small number of riders make it difficult to predict when anyone will turn up, and standing at the top of windy mountain passes for long periods is guaranteed to put collaborators off.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiZWD7T1HuM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wiZWD7T1HuM&rel=1</a>

« Reply #444 on: 26 June, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »
If The Who's song had been called "My Degeneration" it might have been more appropriate - but luckily most made it!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #445 on: 26 June, 2013, 06:35:09 pm »
I felt both sick, admiration and inspiration watching that video.  Well bloody done, the lot of you.  This one is not on my list until I've lost another 3 stone at least!  I'm not sure I'll ever be capable of getting over the worst of those climbs!
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #446 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:43:53 pm »
Great movie. Well done to all - you're all as hard as nails.

« Reply #447 on: 26 June, 2013, 11:12:24 pm »
...there would have been two of us if the weather had been good. But the small number of riders make it difficult to predict when anyone will turn up, and standing at the top of windy mountain passes for long periods is guaranteed to put collaborators off.
Pretty sure I'll never be up for riding this as a 600 but would be more than happy to do some filming along the route in 2014 and also help out at a control or two. Let me know if you are doing this next year ESL.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #448 on: 27 June, 2013, 12:07:21 am »
...there would have been two of us if the weather had been good. But the small number of riders make it difficult to predict when anyone will turn up, and standing at the top of windy mountain passes for long periods is guaranteed to put collaborators off.
Pretty sure I'll never be up for riding this as a 600 but would be more than happy to do some filming along the route in 2014 and also help out at a control or two. Let me know if you are doing this next year ESL.

It's Andy Corless who's to be thanked for putting the Pendle 600 on. I literally just turned up on the day and did some filming as a rehearsal for the LEL. It works pretty well as a subject because a lot of it is photogenic. I'd be happy to help out at a future running of it

« Reply #449 on: 27 June, 2013, 12:26:51 am »
It's Andy Corless who's to be thanked for putting the Pendle 600 on. I literally just turned up on the day and did some filming as a rehearsal for the LEL. It works pretty well as a subject because a lot of it is photogenic. I'd be happy to help out at a future running of it
It was the filming I was mainly thinking of. The controls would be something extra if Andy Corless wanted any help.

I think I saw you briefly at the Lantern o'er Lune cafe on the GC 200/3C600 (I was doing the GC200). If you want some extra footage on northern events in the future i'd be happy to help if work, family and audax commitments allow  ;)
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller