Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 104193 times)

Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #525 on: 19 May, 2015, 05:24:18 pm »
Dare I attempt this on fixed?

I can't get that same thought out of my head - will make my final decision after WCW when I see what time buffer I managed to get then.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #526 on: 21 May, 2015, 01:30:06 pm »
You'll all filling me with confidence chaps!

re riding it on a fixed.... I'm riding it on an ElliptiGO so to even things up I think the rest of field should be made to ride it on fixed  :thumbsup:
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

« Reply #527 on: 21 May, 2015, 05:05:19 pm »
You'll all filling me with confidence chaps!

re riding it on a fixed.... I'm riding it on an ElliptiGO so to even things up I think the rest of field should be made to ride it on fixed  :thumbsup:

I've never seen a fixed ElliptiGo. The cross-trainer at the gym is fixed, so I suppose it makes some sense. Will you be carrying a tent and a sleeping bag?
I can imagine a cross between an ElliptiGo and a snowmobile, so this ride could be a step on the way to a trip to the South Pole on the ElliptiSno.

« Reply #528 on: 23 May, 2015, 03:25:44 pm »
I've plotted the route from this year's route sheet - helped by my track from the 1st 2012 edition of this ride, but I've incorporated the changes for this year.

Strava links for each stage:

Stage 1: https://www.strava.com/routes/2403651
Stage 2: https://www.strava.com/routes/2403653
Stage 3: https://www.strava.com/routes/2403656
Stage 4: https://www.strava.com/routes/2403657
Stage 5: https://www.strava.com/routes/2403660
Stage 6: https://www.strava.com/routes/2403663
Stage 7: https://www.strava.com/routes/2412296
Stage 8: https://www.strava.com/routes/2412371
Stage 9: https://www.strava.com/routes/2412527

You can download gpx from there (premium Strava members only I think?)

or I've put them on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzf_MqHl-vizfjk1a08zRzhVTHZmY2k5cUcxWEZtZEF2akpXNGxNdzJ0ZTktMU43cjFHaHM&usp=sharing

Usual caveats apply, use with your own risk, don't blame me etc, etc - but this is the route I'll be following!

See you in 3 weeks!
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #529 on: 24 May, 2015, 11:31:21 am »
You can download gpx from there (premium Strava members only I think?)

Thanks a lot for doing this - note that anyone can download planned routes from Strava, it's only other people's 'activities' you need to go premium to be able to export.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #530 on: 24 May, 2015, 11:56:13 am »
Thanks PeeJay!!! I downloaded the whole track from elsewhere but because it's so long it wouldn't load the entire route onto my etrex30. You've just saved me hours of frustration on Garmin Basecamp!! Thank you thank you.

Is anyone else riding WCW as their qualifier and treating Pendle as 'just a bit of fun' !?  :facepalm:
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #531 on: 24 May, 2015, 12:02:06 pm »

Will you be carrying a tent and a sleeping bag?
I can imagine a cross between an ElliptiGo and a snowmobile, so this ride could be a step on the way to a trip to the South Pole on the ElliptiSno.

The ElliptiGO weighs 42lbs on its own so I think I'll leave the tent at home. Hoping the constantly climbing will keep me warm :-)  the video from 2013 illustrated the biggest danger/challenge - keeping warm on the long descents. So will be taking loads of layers, full wind and waterproofs (top and bottoms), snowboard gloves (which are brilliant) and double/triple socks!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #532 on: 25 May, 2015, 05:18:23 pm »
Hi Andy. Sorry if this has already been asked or covered elsewhere. Is there sleeping facilities in the Hall the night before ride and/or after? Can't find mention of it which suggests there isn't and thought I'd ask. Thanks

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #533 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:44:51 am »
I suppose I ought to start thinking about this one and not PBP.

My email has been borked for the last few months, so I was wondering whether anyone has a copy of the route sheet and any other necessary information that I could have a copy of ?

The last email I got was in August 2014, maybe there haven't been any more....who knows ?

Thanks.

simonp

« Reply #534 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:54:03 am »
There have been more.

HTH.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #535 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:57:57 am »
"I suppose I ought to start thinking about this one and not PBP.

My email has been borked for the last few months, so I was wondering whether anyone has a copy of the route sheet and any other necessary information that I could have a copy of ?

The last email I got was in August 2014, maybe there haven't been any more....who knows ?

Thanks".

If you entered online you would/should have received your event info' and route-sheet by e-mail a few weeks ago.  The event info' is much the same as that on the event website, www.pendle600audax.com. If you PM or e-mail me your address I'll either e-mail you a copy or send you one through the post. Please use your correct details. I don't see an "Aunt Maud" on the start list!

There's a couple of last minute updates to the route-sheet. The route is exactly the same, just a couple of updates to the instructions between Seascale and the finish. So any GPS track's should be fine.

Entries still open due to high notification of DNS.

Andy Corless

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #536 on: 02 June, 2015, 12:01:41 pm »
Done......thanks.

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #537 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:49:58 pm »
So from the radio silence I presume Andy that the hall can't accommodate us overnight before the ride?

If so I had better find somewhere to sleep in that case...

Cheers

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

simonp

« Reply #538 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:34:36 pm »
I'm looking at Burnley Travelodge.

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #539 on: 03 June, 2015, 07:05:29 am »
I booked the Burnley TL last night. £36 per night so didn't want to hang around and watch it go up. So booked the Friday and Sunday night. Great relief actually as I can now get there early and get some good amount of sleep pre event.

Anyone else riding this and just finished WCW? I'm finding it hard to comprehend TWICE the amount of climbing. Anyone who rode this in previous years did you have time to sleep at Langworthy?

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #540 on: 03 June, 2015, 07:11:24 am »
Anyone who rode this in previous years did you have time to sleep at Langworthy?

In the words of Paul Danials, "Not a lot", but yes, some sleep.

But some riders will have got a pretty decent night's sleep and some got a 10 minute cat nap. Identical to any other ride really. Depends where you are in terms of speed, what your luck is like and all the stuff out of your control.

Rather jealous of those riding this great ride. Tough but rewarding.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #541 on: 04 June, 2015, 08:55:51 pm »
I'm in for The Pendle, having completed the WCW (and The Flatlands). I see The Pendle as the greatest challenge I have attempted and hope the WCW will have been good preparation. Staying at Earby YHA £17.00 per night member rate. I was close to the time limit on WCW so intend very brief controls.

« Reply #542 on: 04 June, 2015, 11:28:12 pm »
I booked the Burnley TL last night. £36 per night so didn't want to hang around and watch it go up. So booked the Friday and Sunday night. Great relief actually as I can now get there early and get some good amount of sleep pre event.

Anyone else riding this and just finished WCW? I'm finding it hard to comprehend TWICE the amount of climbing. Anyone who rode this in previous years did you have time to sleep at Langworthy?

I have to ask, given your profile pic - are you riding on an Elliptigo?

hillbilly

« Reply #543 on: 05 June, 2015, 07:32:40 am »
Based on 2013. This event is quite selecting. It tends to be people confident of their ability to climb well who enter.  This means you have time to sleep at Langsworthy if you would expect to have it on another 600.  But probably less, depending on the weather (we had a westerly, which made the leg out to the coast very fast, but a slower and longer trip to Langsworthy).

Agree with Marcus, a great event.

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #544 on: 05 June, 2015, 09:46:30 pm »

Yep that's the plan Deano. I rather hope that now PBP qualification is out the way that I can really relax into this ride and enjoy it. The suffering will no doubt push me to my limits within the cut off but I like a challenge and this is certainly that! Just analysing the profiles of each stage at the moment. Stage 4 looks like heaven, but stage 6 actually takes you there, and 8 and 9 into the depths of hell. Bring it on!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

« Reply #545 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:10:31 pm »
It's 'Langwathby'.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #546 on: 08 June, 2015, 10:24:17 am »
<tumbleweed> ZZZZZZZZZ! Quiet thread, is this one.</tumbleweed>

« Reply #547 on: 08 June, 2015, 10:52:40 am »
Well not long now, for me I am looking forward to this and with w.c.w done to get me in the French ride, just riding this for fun. ;D

hillbilly

« Reply #548 on: 08 June, 2015, 11:04:58 am »
Audax fun is not ordinary fun.

« Reply #549 on: 08 June, 2015, 11:19:01 am »

Yep that's the plan Deano. I rather hope that now PBP qualification is out the way that I can really relax into this ride and enjoy it. The suffering will no doubt push me to my limits within the cut off but I like a challenge and this is certainly that! Just analysing the profiles of each stage at the moment. Stage 4 looks like heaven, but stage 6 actually takes you there, and 8 and 9 into the depths of hell. Bring it on!

I live in Darlington, and I've never heard the A67 described that way ;)

I wouldn't underestimate it, it's usually straight into the wind, and there's nothing like shelter between Stokesley and Darlo. It's generally a relief to get into the hills and get out of the wind a bit.

Best of luck! I'd wave you all by, but I'll be at a gig that night. My clubmate Dave Atkinson's riding as a qualifier, so wish him luck if you see him. He's ridden it before, he'll be alright.