Author Topic: What is the worst film you have watched?  (Read 15975 times)

fuzzy

What is the worst film you have watched?
« on: 03 January, 2013, 03:59:08 pm »
Inspired by the current discussion in the 'Last film you watched' thread-

My current offering has got to be 'Starship Troopers 3'

Truly aweful.

Re: What is the worst film you have watched?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:03:13 pm »
Probably the one about the development of the Austin Morris 18/22 series. Although the views of the Yorkshire Dales and the music do redeem it slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN_g-BAeu9M

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »
'Tropic Thunder'
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:05:11 pm »
The only one I ever walked out of the cinema for was "Never Ending Story", it truly did feel like it would never end.

On video, a bad one that had gone so far down the bad scale that it re-appeared on the good end of the scale was "Vampires Whores from Outer Space"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:05:40 pm »
Probably Starship Troopers. Why anyone would want to watch Starship Troopers 2 let alone 3 is beyond me :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:06:42 pm »
On video, a bad one that had gone so far down the bad scale that it re-appeared on the good end of the scale was "Vampires Whores from Outer Space"

Similarly, the classic 'bad' film is Plan 9 From Outer Space, which I have seen.  And quite liked.
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:08:22 pm »

Similarly, the classic 'bad' film is Plan 9 From Outer Space, which I have seen.  And quite liked.

A film so bad/good it had an Operating System named after it! :D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:16:43 pm »
Someone made sequels to Starship Troppers?!? :o  ::-)

I've only ever walked out of one film - Showgirls - which we were seeing for free (friend's friend worked at the cinema).

At one point in my yoof a typical evening with mates consisted of trawling the local video rental shops for bad films, to be 'enjoyed' with a takeaway and some bevvies.  We were rarely disappointed.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:17:55 pm »
Harry and Walter go to New York.

I saw this via patent steam and clockwork projector when I was at sea. We used to get a box containing a handful of crap remaindered films delivered sporadically as we wandered about the globe. The fact that there was such a dearth of entertainment while at sea meant that we were a pretty easy audience to satisfy, and many films were watched over and over again. We watched them forwards, backwards, with recorded dialogue, with improvised dialogue provided by members of the audience and so on. But this was just dire. And I recall, incomprehensible, even when sober – I tried that as well. It’s a real film too. With real actors.

Best avoided.

Toady

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:18:37 pm »
There was a film called Almighty Thor on TV a few months ago.  Because I have an interest in Norse mythology I thought it might be a bit of a giggle.  I wasn't expecting anything resembling the actual myths, I was expecting CGI effects and action. 

But this was a "mockbuster" which was incredibly low budget.  And awful.  To begin with, hilariously awful.  Then just awful awful.  Then eventually hilarious again.  Partly set in modern times - not in order to make some kind of Back to the Future/Terminator type story twists on the subject of time, but because if it's set in modern times you can film it in a back lot in LA which is very cheap.

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:36:33 pm »
One that I can think of is Gerry (2002).

Consists of 2 blokes wondering around lost in some desert, all dialogue: let's go this way, no let's go that. And apparently has a twist ending; I only saw the first 15 min or so.

Either it's a practical joke by the makers trying to make the worst film containing big names or is actually the worst film containing big names.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:45:55 pm »
Probably Starship Troopers. Why anyone would want to watch Starship Troopers 2 let alone 3 is beyond me :D
Yeah, that. Also the Frankenstein with Helena Bonham Carter and maybe Kenneth Branagh. And Anaconda.

But worse than all of those put together was the steaming turd that was Sex and the City 2.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:48:22 pm »
Yeah, that. Also the Frankenstein with Helena Bonham Carter and maybe Kenneth Branagh. And Anaconda.

Odd, I don't remember there being an Anaconda in Frankenstein, maybe I wasn't looking ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »
Lair of the White Worm was not a high point of the cinematographer's art.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:49:05 pm »
Jaws 3D.  Good grief.
Getting there...

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #15 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:49:47 pm »
I normally quite like Coen brother films, but I totally did not get No Country for Old Men

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #16 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:07:57 pm »
The only one I ever walked out of the cinema for was "Never Ending Story", it truly did feel like it would never end.

My sister taped that when it was on TV one Christmas then proceeded to watch it about 10101 times over the following weeks.  I can still remember the theme tune ~20 years later  :hand:
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #17 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:23:09 pm »
Menace II Society.  A "gritty" film about life in da hood written by people who clearly have absolutely no idea what life in da hood would look like except you probably can't get organic hummus there and based on really awful American race stereotypes.  Cringeworthy.

« Reply #18 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:35:09 pm »
I normally quite like Coen brother films, but I totally did not get No Country for Old Men

Neither did I, but I loved the bits with the bolt gun.

Anyhoo, The Hand starring Michael Caine. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this. Caine actually manages to be out-acted by the hand.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #19 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:51:49 pm »
My brain appears to have blanked out memory most of the awful films I've watched. However, Forrest Gump remains.  :sick:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #20 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:31:02 pm »
Differentiating between 'so bad it's good', where one (if so inclined) can play spot the plot hole, guess what's coming next, snigger at the bad acting...and just plain bad....
I'll politely differ about Starship Troopers (the original). Not quite as good as Robocop (same writer, same director, same kind of tone). Giant bugs. Lots of guns. Black humour. Annoying characters killed off. Love it.

For me, the worst candidates try to be worthy, important, significant.....and just end up boring.

The English Patient. As per the lead characters in the Seinfeld episode of the same name, I hated it. Lead characters totally unsympathetic, predictable plot, and yet it won applause by the bucketload. Why?!!! Made a transatlantic trip considerably duller.

Inception. Huge, steaming piles of dialogue consisting of nothing but plot exposition, for no other reason than the basic premise couldn't be explained properly otherwise. It got switched off.

There are probably quite a few others in the same vein but I've managed to not think of them just yet.....

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 04 January, 2013, 12:10:53 am »
Barney and friends
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #22 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:04:45 am »
"We were soldiers". The book is very good, the movie is an abomination.

LindaG

« Reply #23 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:07:51 am »
Oh, yes, The English Patient. Awful.

But most things with Robin Williams are even worse. Jack. What Dreams May Come. Just disgustingly bad.

What is the worst film you have watched?
« Reply #24 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:41:07 am »
Titanic

Three hours to watch a ship sink!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert