Author Topic: What is the worst film you have watched?  (Read 15974 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: What is the worst film you have watched?
« Reply #50 on: 04 January, 2013, 04:38:38 pm »
In recent years, Avatar springs to mind.

Oh, yes. I'd forgotten that horror.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #51 on: 04 January, 2013, 04:50:24 pm »
Most of the films listed are films you've hated whilst others have raved about them.
I offer Lost in translation.  I loathed that film on so many levels.

Yes, not being able to appreciate the 'moving melancholia', I found LinT packed with deathly tedium.  Definitely high up there in my should not have bothered list.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #52 on: 04 January, 2013, 04:57:03 pm »
Lair of the White Worm was not a high point of the cinematographer's art.

I quite liked that

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #53 on: 04 January, 2013, 04:58:16 pm »
I normally quite like Coen brother films, but I totally did not get No Country for Old Men

??  it's fabulous!

The guy with the gun is great.  You are just jealous coz the actor married Penelope Cruz :D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #54 on: 04 January, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »
Three Kings.  We didn't even make it to halfway.

Three Kings is good, in a bad way.  I think this thread is showing a slight difference in people's idea of what is good and bad when it comes to films (apart from SST which seems to be nearly universally derided).

I quite liked...this is getting silly

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #55 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:03:05 pm »
ok the worst couple of films I remember the title of are

Inception

and

Burlington Row

Inception is poorly constructed and badly acted but is trying to say "ha! it's so clever you don't get it".  I do get it, it's just piss poor

Burlington Row is a crap "thriller" for USA people substituting tedious concepts of urban safety and patriotism for tension and plot

There's probably some other films that I watched but my brain hasn't even remembered anything about them :)

John Henry

« Reply #56 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:04:53 pm »
Titanic

Three hours to watch a ship sink!

Oh! You've spoilt the ending!

Titanic for me too.

But not for the reason my mum's colleague hated it. Apparently she found it 'too far-fetched'.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »
Fight Club.
Getting there...

« Reply #58 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:07:19 pm »

Inception

and

Burlington Row

Inception is poorly constructed and badly acted but is trying to say "ha! it's so clever you don't get it".  I do get it, it's just piss poor

Burlington Row is a crap "thriller" for USA people substituting tedious concepts of urban safety and patriotism for tension and plot

There's probably some other films that I watched but my brain hasn't even remembered anything about them :)

I quite liked Inception...  ;)   (Though the first time, I tried to watch the DVD when I was tired, which was a mistake.)

Arlington Road?  Quite liked that too...  :P

ian

« Reply #59 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:14:06 pm »
Fight Club.

Nah, Fight Club is one of the best.

Lost in Translation. That was unmemorable shit to be sure. The kind of movie where you want to press pause, step into the frame, grab the actors and yank them out, and then re-insert them with nothing more than two pairs of inflatable armbands into Jaws: The Revenge before telling them to swim.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #60 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:21:00 pm »
Fight Club is one of the posiest.  But, ultimately, it's just a nothing wrapped up in it's own sense of self-importance.
Getting there...

« Reply #61 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:28:06 pm »
yep, Fight Club was crap, as was Inception.

Ah, nearly forgot the Matrix. Horrific.

I couldn't stand the Lord of the Rings film. . . the first one. Didn't see the rest.

« Reply #62 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:31:56 pm »
Add to that the recent Total Recall remake. I didn't last more than 20 minutes. Soulless, humourless, sterile garbage.

« Reply #63 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:54:28 pm »
yep, Fight Club was crap, as was Inception.

Ah, nearly forgot the Matrix. Horrific.

I couldn't stand the Lord of the Rings film. . . the first one. Didn't see the rest.

I enjoyed the Matrix, but the sequels were decidedly meh...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #64 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:09:54 pm »
I loved Lost in Translation and you are all philistines.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #65 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:23:12 pm »
Fight Club is one of the posiest.  But, ultimately, it's just a nothing wrapped up in it's own sense of self-importance.

Ohh the irony  :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon:

« Reply #66 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:26:20 pm »
Lost in Translation. That was unmemorable shit to be sure. The kind of movie where you want to press pause, step into the frame, grab the actors and yank them out, and then re-insert them with nothing more than two pairs of inflatable armbands into Jaws: The Revenge before telling them to swim.

Hmmmm...I would probably be with you, if I hadn't seen it after a solo trip to Japan 7 years ago. 

When I got back, I was talking to a colleague who had also been to Japan.  He asked me if I'd seen 'Lost in Translation', and on hearing that I had not, promptly brought it in the very next day.

It was eerily similar to the experience I had, and apparently everyone who goes there.

« Reply #67 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:16:35 pm »
Anyone seen Battlefield Earth..?  ;)  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battlefield_earth/

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #68 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:40:53 am »

Inception

and

Burlington Row

I quite liked Inception...  ;)   (Though the first time, I tried to watch the DVD when I was tired, which was a mistake.)

Arlington Road?  Quite liked that too...  :P

ha, it seems I couldn't remember the name of it.  You are quite right, it's "Arlington Road"

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #69 on: 05 January, 2013, 11:27:59 am »
Anyone seen Battlefield Earth..?  ;)  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battlefield_earth/

Yes, one firmly in the so-bad-it's-good-category for me. I remember Jonathan Ross reviewing it on Film Whateveryearitwas, he had a thesaurus (on screen) and quoted a suitable entry at length...:)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 05 January, 2013, 01:29:13 pm »

I think that's the one that started this thread.

« Reply #71 on: 06 January, 2013, 11:40:57 am »
Fight Club.

I gave up watching Fight Club. Too silly.

Mr B thought Lost in Translation was very clever, in that it was an American film with Japan portrayed as disconcertingly alien, but very Japanese in theme & style. She quite liked it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #72 on: 06 January, 2013, 11:52:24 am »

That was Starship Troopers 3, which I've not seen (or 2).  I actually thought Starship Troopers as a satire, was not bad.  'John Travolta's' Battlefield Earth must almost be worth watching* to see just how bad it is.

* Ok, perhaps the odd Youtube clip instead...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: 06 January, 2013, 12:56:52 pm »

That was Starship Troopers 3, which I've not seen (or 2).

Yeah, but it started over here.

I've only seen the first Starship Troopers, which I didn't particularly enjoy, but wouldn't describe as a bad film - as you say, it's a reasonably well-executed satire.  Battlefield Earth was just terrible (without qualifying for "so bad it's good" status), even if you ignore the Scientology connection.

ian

« Reply #74 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:52:03 am »
Fight Club.

I gave up watching Fight Club. Too silly.

Mr B thought Lost in Translation was very clever, in that it was an American film with Japan portrayed as disconcertingly alien, but very Japanese in theme & style. She quite liked it.

I found the two lead characters dull and rather indulgent, to be honest. I couldn't find much sympathy for their predicament and generally, given the circumstances, I think the film would have been more entertaining with an injection of sharks. Admittedly, many movies would be improved by sharks. Or robots. Or robot sharks. Alien robot sharks, preferably.

OK, it was a film where I saw what they were trying to do (I'm a regular traveller to Japan, and I've stayed in the Park Hyatt – once, till my boss saw the expenses and turned a shade of puce), but it was all a bit laboured. I think the Japanese would have done it better. And the odds of an giant alien robotic shark monster would be far, far higher.

It occurs to me that I've never seen Battleship Earth, which is an astounding omission on my part.

Saw the new version of Total Recall at the weekend. Meh. Probably passed muster as a generic actioner, but seriously, why bother?