Author Topic: Bread Knives  (Read 4178 times)

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
Re: Bread Knives
« Reply #25 on: 05 July, 2019, 06:02:15 pm »
We've had this Kitchen devil for years.   No1. on Amazon* for bread knives  £11

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Devils-Lifestyle-Double-302445/dp/B0044P0MHS/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=kitchen+devil&qid=1561038574&s=kitchen&sr=1-10

*other internet retailers are available... ;)

My wife got a Kitchen Devil bread knife as part of her bounty on the breakup of a shared student house in 1981. We're still using it daily to cut bread and other bread-like objects.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #26 on: 09 July, 2019, 09:27:38 am »
Another update: I bought a couple of sheets of wet and dry(I can't remember the grades but sort of "medium" and "fine").  I used each one in turn wrapped around a piece of 15mm copper tubing.  22mm would have been a better fit in the scallops but I don't have any in the garage.  By wrapping the wet and dry over the pipe and then gripping just the paper in my Workmate it made a good rounded surface on which to sharpen the blade.  It's a bit laborious as there are about 30 scallops along the blades and each one needs quite a few strokes along the paper as the pipe diameter is not quite large enough to fill the whole scallop but in the end the results were excellent.  The knife now cuts easily without tearing the bread at all.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 09 July, 2019, 11:39:40 am »
^ Making tools is   8)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #28 on: 09 July, 2019, 02:02:15 pm »
Make your own bread knife:

Anything else is just underkill.

« Reply #29 on: 14 July, 2019, 06:44:47 am »
Another update: …….. but in the end the results were excellent.  The knife now cuts easily without tearing the bread at all.  :thumbsup:

yay!

« Reply #30 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:52:05 am »
Make your own bread knife:

Anything else is just underkill.

Funny you should mention that. As it happens I have

You may notice several elements here.

The first, it is indeed a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Lovely to look at and hold. The second, looking carefully, is that the ident of the maker does not include and world wide webby or email-y information*. This is your first clue that it dates from the early 90's, you need me to add that it was a gift to me from an attendee at an international "bash" I organised in the Cooks Forum of Compuserve to provide the complete context.

Thing is, apart from being a lovely thing to hold, it's not much good for cutting bread+. Or at least, not much good if you can cut bread. If you can't (which covers a surprisingly large segment of the population) it does help. The blade is very sharp, and a double bevel scallop, I suspect that a single side would be better, but the double will stay sharp longer.

*It would appear that the craftsman involved hasn't survived to the Internet era, the only similar sounding one I've found is this which is California rather than Montana.

+ ETA, I had a loaf to slice for the freezer, so I thought I'd give it another go. Outcome, it is OK, but slow. Use it without any pressure on the blade it cuts well.