Author Topic: lightweight mat(s) for two.  (Read 1221 times)

lightweight mat(s) for two.
« on: 28 December, 2023, 10:35:28 pm »
Mrs Morbihan is joining me on her first ultra event this Summer. (the adventure route of Bike Packing around Norway)
We have a tent and blankets squared away, but I only have the one blow up mat.
The event isn't until the Summer so plenty of time to source and test.
What's the feeling out there about a comfortable (on the light side) mat for two people or would one go with two separate single mats?
Thanks Jonah.

often lost.

Re: lightweight mat(s) for two.
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2023, 01:11:31 am »
Most people opt for two separate single mats. The bulk of a rolled up two person mat would make packing it up and fitting it on a bike difficult. I've found the Sea to Summit inflatable mats to be comfortable, quiet and reasonably dependable. They're not the lightest mats out there, and they're not the cheapest, but they're dependable enough to offset those two issues. The lightest mat in the world is just excess weight if it springs a leak on you part way through a trip. If you're truly determined to keep weight to a minimum, the folding closed cell foam pads like the ThermaRest Z-Rest are4 an option, but they're not the cushiest things to sleep on. They are cheaper than any inflatable pad I've seen, though, and they are completely and utterly leakproof.

Are you using sleeping bags or blankets?

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2023, 01:39:36 am »
If you're thinking of the deep inflatable type mats, I'd suggest getting two, otherwise every time one of you moves it'll disturb the other. They work best when only inflated enough to support your weight spread over it, so you sink in, I imagine it'd be a lot harder to get that right for two. With the denser foam type mats that'll be less of an issue.

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2023, 02:14:10 am »
You can get straps to tie two mats next to each other.
eg Thermarest Universal Couple Kit. https://www.thermarest.com/ie/sleeping-pads/sleeping-pad-accessories/universal-couple-kit/05228.html

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2023, 10:14:02 am »
Ask Emily and me what has been an absolute game-changer for us this year and we’d both say double sleeping pads. Although they are inherently big, harder to pack, and heavier than standard sleeping pads, the comfort they offer a couple or two close friends is worth it in our eyes. I’m also of the mind that good sleep is essential for a good bikepacking trip, so if strapping a somewhat bulky double-wide sleeping pad onto a rack is how we achieve that, I say it’s a good move.

Our favourite, the Big Agnes Rapide SL, took a top spot in our 2023 Gear of the Year Awards a few weeks back. It’s their lightest double sleeping pad, with a generous 40″ width, 4.8″ thickness, and 4.8 R-value that’s kept us warm on a number of sub-freezing nights. The Exped Ultra 3R Duo is also an interesting option as it has separate air chambers on each side, allowing each person to dial in the firmness of the pad. We have a few others in for testing as well.
https://bikepacking.com/gear/emily-miles-2023-gear-picks/
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2023, 12:58:48 pm »
My experience of cycle camping to the top of Norway, Nordkapp, was that you'd be lucky to find a bit of flat ground wide enough to take two people.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2023, 01:37:33 pm »
Thats a really useful link Cudz, thanks.
I think we will take a punt and go with the B Agnes double mat. We have the same companies 2/3 person tent and like it.
Weight and bulk won't be top priority for this one. Ive broken the route down into roughly 10 days to keep the distance and elevation do able for my partner. I'll load up my rig with most/all of the gear and will likely take a full pannier set up so room for the mat. Distance/elevation will max out at 120km/2000m pd. The unknown is what type of gravel surfaces and trails will be encountered, though there is a good chunk of regular road to make up time.
Point taken Martin, Im looking specifically at camping in the Rondane park section, hopefully we will come across enough flat ground.

often lost.

« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2024, 05:16:09 pm »
ordered the BAgnes double.
We'll pick it up in France next month and test it on an overnighter.
Its tempting to pack it for RATN a couple of weeks later, but alas that and the tent is too much gubbins.
often lost.