Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331168 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1000 on: 18 January, 2014, 09:54:34 am »
The SVEA works really well.  Doesn't niff like a Coleman when just turned off, either.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1001 on: 28 January, 2014, 07:29:38 pm »
a new backpack... it's almost pant-wettingly well made, fits like a glove and I can't wait to get it out on the hills - it's a bright red macpac pursuit. 

« Reply #1002 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »
a new backpack... it's almost pant-wettingly well made, fits like a glove and I can't wait to get it out on the hills - it's a bright red macpac pursuit.

I've had one for a few years - fantastic bit of kit as long as you're not carrying more than about 30-40 Lbs in it. 

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #1003 on: 29 January, 2014, 08:55:15 pm »

I like Macpac, so much so I bought an Ascent, twice.

Bought a new Rab Down Neutrino 400 sleeping bag today. Reduced from £285 to £142 from Tiso in Edinburgh.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #1004 on: 12 February, 2014, 06:43:35 pm »
A fortnight ago I bought a Coleman Pictor X2 from Fleabay for £80 posted. Pretty good value IMO.

http://www.coleman.eu/p-25311-pictor-x2.aspx

A bit heavy at 3.35Kg but it has a large porch and that weight does include the porch groundsheet which is 143g on my kitchen scales.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1005 on: 13 February, 2014, 09:00:10 am »
That's a good price. I would say that the Colmans that the Scouts use have had problems with the zips corroding into a blob of white powder and I don't think the tents have been put away wet.
I would suggest lubricating with some wax.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #1006 on: 13 February, 2014, 11:54:29 am »
That's a good price. I would say that the Colmans that the Scouts use have had problems with the zips corroding into a blob of white powder and I don't think the tents have been put away wet.
I would suggest lubricating with some wax.
This is definitely tent buying season for the frugal: stocks are just about running out now but Sports Direct have a few good deals on quality brands: http://www.sportsdirect.com/camping/tents/2-to-4-man-tents?dsearch=cat

Thanks for the tip re the Coleman zips  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1007 on: 13 February, 2014, 02:41:59 pm »
the Colmans that the Scouts use have had problems with the zips corroding into a blob of white powder and I don't think the tents have been put away wet.
That corrosion would normally be due to salt.
If the tents had been used somewhere coastal, there could have been some wind-blown sea spray. If the zip slider did get salty, drying wouldn't be enough if the tent was subsequently stored somewhere with occasional dampness as salt absorbs dampness from the air. You would have to actually wash to get rid of the salt.

« Reply #1008 on: 13 February, 2014, 04:01:01 pm »
Makes sense. Sounds like pre-spraying with a silicone wax would be a good preventative measure.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1009 on: 14 February, 2014, 02:31:15 pm »
Just had 250 litres of meths delivered. Okay, it's at work but it should keep my stoves running for a while :thumbsup:

Wish I could use IPA, got barrels of it!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Dave_C

« Reply #1010 on: 14 February, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »
Sounds like the zips are aluminum if they turn to white powder when wet?

DaleFTW

« Reply #1011 on: 21 February, 2014, 11:31:23 am »
A new tent.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1012 on: 21 February, 2014, 07:51:48 pm »
A trespass gas burner. As the case was broken only £10  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1013 on: 25 February, 2014, 09:33:11 pm »

A Yeti Early bird 10.0 Thermo matt. It's the 10 cm thick edition  :smug: and not something you bring on your bicycle.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1014 on: 25 February, 2014, 10:05:38 pm »
OS Explorer Map - OL16: Cheviot Hills :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1015 on: 03 March, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »
A Trangia Mini, tea for the brewing of.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1016 on: 03 March, 2014, 01:41:23 pm »
A Peak Oyl Lite Sleeping Pad (reduced on Blacks site by rather a lot) and some feet to fit under a gas canister to stabilise my stove.

I like using a small screw on cooker, so the feet should make everything a bit more stable, and this weekend's adventure has persuaded me that my Vango 3/4 sleeping mat is a bit fiddly for use in colder conditions as you have to arrange other luggage under your legs and feet to keep them off the ground.

« Reply #1017 on: 04 March, 2014, 07:37:43 pm »
Ditto ... bargainous! 4 season too. Well spotted once again 'Shroom old thing. Will see what longevity is like.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

DaleFTW

« Reply #1018 on: 04 March, 2014, 08:05:04 pm »
A Multimat CCF mat from there. 5 season...  ;)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1019 on: 05 March, 2014, 09:46:31 am »
Good news is that the stuff has been dispatched. Bad news is that Blacks use Hermes to deliver :(

« Reply #1020 on: 05 March, 2014, 12:20:34 pm »
...some feet to fit under a gas canister to stabilise my stove.
I like using a small screw on cooker, so the feet should make everything a bit more stable
The best set of feet is the MSR version.
It's got one leg with a spring-loaded clamp, which means it should fit just about any canister. Canisters vary in size enough that the Markill and Primus feet can't be used with some canisters.

« Reply #1021 on: 06 March, 2014, 07:07:17 pm »
Ditto ... bargainous! 4 season too. Well spotted once again 'Shroom old thing. Will see what longevity is like.

I've succumbed too.

« Reply #1022 on: 06 March, 2014, 07:56:26 pm »
Peak Oyl arrived today. Warm to the touch and suspect will be comfy. V Light in comparison to my Alpkit mat.  A tad narrow for me but can live with that.  Extreme rating -18deg C.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruth

« Reply #1023 on: 06 March, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
Peak Oyl arrived today. Warm to the touch and suspect will be comfy. V Light in comparison to my Alpkit mat.  A tad narrow for me but can live with that.  Extreme rating -18deg C.

Ooh, I'll be most interested to hear your verdict on the mat Canardly, I love my downmat but I've lost some trust in it since other people's and my own failed, in various ways  :(

Having said that, the downmat performed admirably in snowy, haily and rainy weather last weekend.  I slept like a big fat snorey baby  :smug:

Dave_C

« Reply #1024 on: 06 March, 2014, 11:31:35 pm »
What Hylite Peak Oyl's are peeps buying?

Blacks appear to have four.  Two MTM (full length) mats at 2.5 & 3.5cm thick and two Petite (122cm long) on thick & thin.

I have two old thermarests thick and thin, but looking to get the petite lite as its very light at 380gms.  My thermarest lite full length packs small but is 900gms!! If I'm to save as much weight as possible then these are a real bargain to boot!

Cheers for the tip btw.