Author Topic: the tyres chestnut again  (Read 5015 times)

Re: the tyres chestnut again
« Reply #25 on: 05 March, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »
Probably true, yes.  But even more reason to minimise rolling resistance with three wheels.

Serves them right for taking a comfy deck chair for every stop, anyway.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #26 on: 06 March, 2014, 08:17:33 pm »
I'm going to 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) the supremes. I'm currently using the trykers, but I couldn't find any benefit compared to the supremes, and they have less puncture protection.

EDIT: Though they are £7 less per apex vertex.

« Reply #27 on: 07 March, 2014, 12:59:30 am »
I'm currently using the trykers, but I couldn't find any benefit compared to the supremes, and they have less puncture protection.
My take on Trykers is that they have slightly more grip than Supremes but less puncture protection.
I value the extra puncture protection more than the grip.
YMMV.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #28 on: 07 March, 2014, 12:49:25 pm »
Grip on a trike - much over rated. Their primary objective as far as I am concerned: Retain air at all costs.

« Reply #29 on: 07 March, 2014, 04:09:07 pm »
Grip on a trike - much over rated. Their primary objective as far as I am concerned: Retain air at all costs.
I've found that it helps to have a grippy back tyre.
I expect to wearout at least one back tyre due to wheelspin on a 4k mile tour.
Anything that helps to stop a lot of back wheel spin when going uphill is better.
It's just a pity that I think the tryker is a little bit to fragile to use in a back wheel.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 07 March, 2014, 04:14:35 pm »
I note that 12kg of battery on the rear rack does wonders for the grip, if not the cornering stability...   :D

« Reply #31 on: 09 March, 2014, 07:07:10 am »
I've never got on with Marathon Racers (too many punctures). I had some Panaracer Minits Tough last summer And they were very fast but I got 10 punctures in 1000 miles.

On LEL all the velomobiles used Kojaks which was interesting. One guy gave me two kojaks so I'll try them this summer on my trike. My velomobile has trykers on the front, a marathon on the rear nd I'll probably stick with that.

I've got the marathon racers front tyres in the shed: i'll include those when I hand over the V to Peter next weekish.

« Reply #32 on: 30 March, 2014, 07:52:30 am »
I run Duranos on my Mango front wheels and a Big Apple on the rear.....

Also run Marathon Racers on the front in the winter....

My 2011 Vortex is currently on Trykers, which I like....I hated Kojaks as they were just too vulnerable to nicks and cuts.....Aussie car drivers love throwing beer bottles into the shoulder and cycle lanes which are not always easy to avoid with all 3 wheels....

Paul

AlexR

« Reply #33 on: 04 April, 2014, 07:49:23 pm »
I run Marathon + on the from of my Quest,and Marathon Supreme on the rear.Plusses are heavy but not really noticed any major loss in speed,nothing slows you down like a puncture on a velomobile.

Si

« Reply #34 on: 05 April, 2014, 09:58:43 am »
I went from Marathons to big apples - both quicker and more comfortable.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #35 on: 09 April, 2014, 04:12:48 pm »
Looking to replace some older Schwalbe Marathon Racers on my 26" ICE B2.I was thinking of getting another pair but I have seen these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-grand-prix-26-bike-tyre/rp-prod39338

and these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-townride-city-mtb-tyre/rp-prod109875

as I have Conti Grand Prix 4000 on my carbon upright bike, and found them good in summer. I use Schwalbe M/+ in winter depending on the bike but don't want to have to buy multiple sets as I only have one (excluding the mtb) 26 wheel bike.

I'm hoping to audax on the flatter rides on the B2 but will also be commuting on and off so want something lighter but with some puncture protection.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #36 on: 09 April, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »
Dave, I've been using Schwalbe Duranos in 26" flavour on my knock-about mountain bike for the past two winters. Not very exciting but  they seem fine: they roll ok and no visitations...yet.  :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.