Author Topic: Alternative Audax Badges and Challenges  (Read 8674 times)

Re: Alternative Audax Badges and Challenges
« Reply #25 on: 03 January, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »
I thought it was more amusing than resentful, really (I have met Arabella, though she probably won't remember, which is as it should be).  For fitter and faster, I think we can usually read "younger" - probably a lot younger, in my case.

Peter

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 03 January, 2019, 01:53:07 pm »
If you're fit and able to ride fast, then you're inherently playing on 'easy mode', for the reason arabella states: You get more time to rest/digest/deal with mechanicals/etc.

On that basis, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable for there to be a 'difficult mode' to challenge the faster riders.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #27 on: 03 January, 2019, 02:51:21 pm »
On that basis, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable for there to be a 'difficult mode' to challenge the faster riders.

Yes, another way would be to have something similar to the "Vedettes" in PBP... a shorter time frame... say 9 hours for a 200, 18 for a 400 and 27 for a 600, which would be a pretty hard target

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 03 January, 2019, 02:58:17 pm »
The Yanks beat you to it. They piggyback off RUSA results.
http://cyclosmontagnards.org/R80Rules.html
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #29 on: 03 January, 2019, 03:02:44 pm »
The Yanks beat you to it. They piggyback off RUSA results.
http://cyclosmontagnards.org/R80Rules.html

yep... R60 is brutal...  :o

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 03 January, 2019, 03:45:06 pm »
A few more options:

Off-Road 'Dacious Award for Cycling Silliness
Yes, points for comedy off-road!

Over-Weight Dieting Audax Cycling Slimmers
1 point for each complete kilogram bodyweight lost over a season, starting at 2 points for 2kg, obviously.

Other Half enDurance Award for Cycling Support
To recognise riders' non-cycling partners putting up with all this silliness.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 03 January, 2019, 04:59:28 pm »
Most Mediocre. An award for the rider who's nearest to the beating heart of Audax cycling.
This award has the advantage of the possibility of endless debate about its statistical base.

Should it be the mean, median or mode?

Should it be restricted to those who have ridden an event?

The number crunching to arrive at the most representative participant would be a useful survey in itself.

« Reply #32 on: 03 January, 2019, 05:19:02 pm »
Have we got a trophy for the flattest SR* of the season? Fewest meters of climb wins, with some extra compensation for rides that are overall downhill.

* other combinations of distances work just as well.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 03 January, 2019, 05:40:04 pm »
Have we got a trophy for the flattest SR* of the season? Fewest meters of climb wins, with some extra compensation for rides that are overall downhill.

And bonus fear-of-heights points for doing it on a low recumbent?   :D

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #34 on: 03 January, 2019, 06:24:03 pm »
LRRTY - Lanterne Rouge Round The Year. Only for calendar events - and not as easy as it sounds. GPS tracks will be analysed to ensure no more than 5 minutes spent stationary in the last 10 km.

For the DIY by GPS ninjas :

Prime Randonneur - a series of 211, 307, 401 and 601 km. Precisely. No road ridden twice in either direction. Start point = end point

Super Non Randonneur - a series of 199, 299, 399 and 599 km. Rules as above.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 03 January, 2019, 06:31:46 pm »
Most Mediocre. An award for the rider who's nearest to the beating heart of Audax cycling.
This award has the advantage of the possibility of endless debate about its statistical base.

Should it be the mean, median or mode?

Should it be restricted to those who have ridden an event?

The number crunching to arrive at the most representative participant would be a useful survey in itself.
It couldn't be mode. The average audaxer is far from fashionable. On the other hand it also couldn't be mean, as that while that would close to the old school of bread bags on heads, it would rule out those with carbon and titanium bling. So it has to be median, though far from the median strip.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #36 on: 03 January, 2019, 06:32:40 pm »
Super Non Randonneur - a series of 199, 299, 399 and 599 km. Rules as above.
Now there's a challenge I like the sound of!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:07:01 pm »
LRRTY - Lanterne Rouge Round The Year. Only for calendar events - and not as easy as it sounds. GPS tracks will be analysed to ensure no more than 5 minutes spent stationary in the last 10 km.

FINALLY! One I actually have a chance at! I've been Lantern rouge on all calendar events, except for 1 (I'm not sure what happened with that one...). I thought I was maybe not Lantern Rouge on the Belgium ice adventure, but the 2 still out on the road when I finished ended up over time.

I think those of us riding in .NL get this by default. A 300 with 696m of ascent (Mostly bridges I think) (Maasland 300). I had a DIY 200 with 86m of ascent.

I am doing them on an upwrong tho, so no total fear of heights award...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #38 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »

And bonus fear-of-heights points for doing it on a low recumbent?   :D
Should be worth at least half a meter climbing on per control :thumbsump:

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:25:26 pm »
If you're fit and able to ride fast, then you're inherently playing on 'easy mode', for the reason arabella states: You get more time to rest/digest/deal with mechanicals/etc.

If the riders are prepared to do the legwork/admin* (i.e. not the event organisers), I guess this is pretty harmless; and there may be an advantage for the "medicore" too:

it might put a brake on the climbing inflation that we are seeing in the UK calendar over recent years.

*I suspect that's how the RUSA scheme works?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:42:30 pm »
1 point for each complete kilogram bodyweight lost over a season, starting at 2 points for 2kg, obviously.

Ooh, 15 points please! Do I get 17 as I put on a couple of kilos again, then lost them again?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:51:54 pm »

Ooh, 15 points please! Do I get 17 as I put on a couple of kilos again, then lost them again?

J
Sorry, no. It's measurements from start to end of season that count. Gotta be strict about these things, otherwise everyone will be making false claims for the amazing prizes!  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:56:44 pm »
The R80/70/60 thing is specifically not a RUSA thing. It is a group that recognises fast results by North Americans in RUSA brevets.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:00:57 pm »

FINALLY! One I actually have a chance at! I've been Lantern rouge on all calendar events, except for 1 (I'm not sure what happened with that one...). I thought I was maybe not Lantern Rouge on the Belgium ice adventure, but the 2 still out on the road when I finished ended up over time.
We'd better keep you in the Netherlands, or else IanN will have too much competition (he's already got me and, the most cunning and determined of the lot, Roger from S. Wales notp).

I think those of us riding in .NL get this by default. A 300 with 696m of ascent (Mostly bridges I think) (Maasland 300). I had a DIY 200 with 86m of ascent.

I am doing them on an upwrong tho, so no total fear of heights award...

J
Those figures are insane! From home to Gloucester on the main road feels dead flat to ride but RWGPS tells me it's 347m climbed for 52km (but it is still a net downhill of 23m so should qualify for something).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:04:00 pm »
The R80/70/60 thing is specifically not a RUSA thing. It is a group that recognises fast results by North Americans in RUSA brevets.
Well it wouldn't happen WITHOUT RUSA, would it?!? :P

[I think if you re-read the relevant posts you will see that we are more-or-less on the same page here ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:37:29 pm »
RUSA specifically does not recognise different categories of finishers and opposed the R80/ 70/ 60 thing but worked out that they couldn't stop others from categorising publicly available results. On the other hand, some French brevet results recognise gold, silver and bronze standards but not BRMs.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #46 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:39:41 pm »

Certainly asking people to cycle slower to make it more challenging is not a proposition many would sign up to.
Is what I was getting at! 
Meanwhile, the missing smilies from my previous post  ;D  :P
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #47 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:55:26 pm »
A challenge that appeals in a sadistic sort of way is a daylight SR. The rules are simple. Delays are as BRM but you can only ride in daytime. Clock on at the start before dawn and you have to wait for daylight. Carrying lights and hi-vis is instant disqualification. Variations on this include the Grand Prix de Formule 1 which requires a special brevet card to be stamped in the hotels of that chain (very difficult and may require going considerably over distance).
Associated with this and somewhat easier (except in december) is the daylight RRTY. Same basic rules.

Something like this already exists in cyclomontagnardes which is the sport catégorie, starting at dawn and finishing at dusk.

« Reply #48 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:00:21 pm »
RUSA specifically does not recognise different categories of finishers and opposed the R80/ 70/ 60 thing but worked out that they couldn't stop others from categorising publicly available results. On the other hand, some French brevet results recognise gold, silver and bronze standards but not BRMs.

I think the gold silver and bronze thing is (or was) an award system in UFOLEP sportives.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »
Yes but also some brevets, calendar and perms.