Author Topic: It's a learning experience  (Read 1532 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
It's a learning experience
« on: 26 December, 2010, 10:39:58 am »
Just when I think I've got the hang of it, my trike teaches me new lessons.

For the first few days last week I took the trike to work, even when the roads were getting clear I thought there was a high enough chance of ice in the evenings that the trike would be safer/more fun - but it was on a clear dry road the I nearly added to my scar collection.

On my way to work on Tuesday morning I was crossing over Battersea Bridge, overtaking most of the traffic which was nearly stationary. Running down the other side of the bridge I was getting ready to turn right, the traffic was moving now as the lights had changed and as I approached the lights there was a lorry in front of me also turning right. The right turn filter light was green, and as there's a lot of camber on the turn (because the slope of the bridge runs across the road) I got ready for the turn, getting off the saddle and leaning out to the right, quite a lot of leaning out as I was rolling fast down the slope.

The the lorry braked, so I grabbed a handful of brake on the lever nearest me (I was hanging out far enough that that was the only one I could reach).

In retrospect, I understand why that was the wrong action but at the time it seemed better than eating number plate because when I grabbed the brake all of a sudden the distance between my face and the road reduced, alarmingly. The road did rise up as if to smite me. Fortunately letting go of the stoppenlever and turning the bars to the right restored the horizon to its original setting.

I laughed afterwards, but when I got to work I did check that there were no damp patches on the saddle.

Going home was a ball though, I came onto the path along the river at Albert Bridge and from there to Wandsworth Bridge was wet, very slippery, ice. In a straight line I could spin both back wheels in pretty much any gear that I could pedal in, and once I had some forward motion a flick of the bars was enough to get all three wheels sliding. I think I covered most of that distance fishtailing and giggling.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Re: It's a learning experience
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2010, 02:35:47 pm »
Now try it on a one wheel drive.  A totally different experience, even just trying to keep traction.  Mine does not get used much, and I find I've forgotten many of the different skills.
Out on a two wheel drive today and I rolled it for the first time in many years.  Usual sort of thing -  turning slowly into a driveway, across ridge of ice about 6 inches high, without enough momentum to carry me through when inside wheel rides up the ice and stalls.   Splat and I am on my side.

« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:09:55 pm »
Is this unique to a Delta
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:20:03 pm »
Is this unique to a Delta

On an upright one probably  ;D

gordon taylor

« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »
Like the OP, I occasionally get caught out by my upright trike. The last time was just when I was getting on and trying to move off in a hurry - I seemed to push down with all my weight over the pedal (instead of sitting comfortably on the saddle) and the thing just tipped over. Obviously, this was at 1 mph with a crowd of shoppers standing at a pedestrain crossing.

I love my trike, but I wish I could ride it with more zest and confidence.

« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:32:41 pm »
Had a Ken Rogers tandem trike once (for my sins) only rolled it once and that was trying to U turn at walking pace with quite an extreme camber, bloody embarrasing.
                                                :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:40:50 pm »
Bit difficult to smooth over with the stoker, too, I am guessing.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:43:17 pm »
She had the good sense to dismount to go into the LBS while I tried, she could have looked concerned when she came out and saw me instead of bursting out laughing though