Author Topic: Glastonbury  (Read 11128 times)

Re: Glastonbury
« Reply #50 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:04:31 pm »
The Chemical Brothers are on here. Brings back memories of ... err ... 1994 maybe?

border-rider

« Reply #51 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:06:56 pm »
Mrs MV has conceded that Coldplay is noodly bollocks.  I've just got her to turn over to the Chemicals :)

« Reply #52 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:08:42 pm »
The Chemical Brothers rock.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #53 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »
Mrs MV has conceded that Coldplay is noodly bollocks.  I've just got her to turn over the the Chemicals :)

I used to clean with Coldplay. Sorry, Halls of Residence rooms which were horrendous. But I got to meet some lovely people including a gregarious chap called Chris and a shy fellow called Johnny. They had this band which they reckoned were going to be huge but they were not sure if they were going to be called The Cold Play or Coldplay. Needless to say that we told them that the first option sounded a tad wankerish. Anyways, we went to see them and we did not think they were that bad tbh. I saw them a few times and then they went HUGE. I faithfully bought their albums but apart from Album's No 1 and 2 the others were a pile of poo.

It was nice doing karaoke with them though  ;)

border-rider

« Reply #54 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:18:00 pm »
Mrs MV is a bit of a fan, and I can take them or leave them as far as recorded music goes.  It was the Glasto experience I meant - just left me a bit bored I'm afraid.  They do come across as thoroughly nice chaps.

« Reply #55 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:21:21 pm »
+1 for Chemical Bros..Block rockin Beats.

« Reply #56 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:29:51 pm »
There are quite a few head-wobblers in the audience, but I've yet to see any quality gurning

« Reply #57 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:39:08 pm »
Coldplay are soooooooooooooo dull...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #58 on: 26 June, 2011, 12:22:26 am »
Isn't Mark Radcliffe turning into John Peel?

« Reply #59 on: 26 June, 2011, 08:26:07 am »
Isn't Mark Radcliffe turning into John Peel?

When he closes his eyes at night maybe.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #60 on: 26 June, 2011, 10:14:43 am »
I'm not a Coldplay fan but I thought they did a brilliant job last night. Good show well paced and had they audience completely hooked. Blew U2 out of the arena.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #61 on: 26 June, 2011, 10:15:35 am »
Just read about Pulp being on the Park stage - even more gutted now. Although I am seeing them at Wireless in Hyde Park next weekend.

« Reply #62 on: 26 June, 2011, 12:31:54 pm »
Can't believe the BBC haven't got any Pulp or Radiohead footage, especially when the main stage acts are such dross. Apparently the Pulp set was fantastic but they aren't set up to broadcast from there >:(

I was last there in '99 and whilst the music wasn't much better it seemed a bit more freer back then, I suppose some of the other cracking festivals have stepped in to pick up the pieces a bit but it's certainly not what it was.

The Park stage has had Radiohead, Pulp, Wild Beasts, Caribou, The Walkmen, Graham Coxon, Gruff Rhys, John Grant, The Bees and Warpaint to name but a few, all artists I've got albums from and all who I'd have loved to see some coverage of.

« Reply #63 on: 26 June, 2011, 01:09:12 pm »
Yep, think the Beeb missed a trick there!  Radiohead and Pulp particularly.  I'd have loved to have seen some Warpaint too

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #64 on: 26 June, 2011, 01:15:27 pm »
Re Pulp and Radiohead and many others: I expect the audio has been recorded and will be played on 6 Music eventually.  Am I expecting too much?

Personally, I loved Pulp's early music; find their later stuff merely entertaining.  Radiohead, I don't have strong enough antidepressants for.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #65 on: 26 June, 2011, 01:27:26 pm »
Re Pulp and Radiohead and many others: I expect the audio has been recorded and will be played on 6 Music eventually.  Am I expecting too much?

Personally, I loved Pulp's early music; find their later stuff merely entertaining.  Radiohead, I don't have strong enough antidepressants for.

My thoughts originally, and I can't listen toRadioheads recordings, but they are really excellent live. 

I saw them live after giving in to Mrs Aidan ( who likes them)  a couple  of years ago and they were great, the Beeb showed their 1997 Glasto set the other night which has been hailed as the best Glasto set ever, and it was truly excellent.   I still cant listen to their recordings though!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #66 on: 26 June, 2011, 03:50:41 pm »
Can't believe the BBC haven't got any Pulp or Radiohead footage, especially when the main stage acts are such dross. Apparently the Pulp set was fantastic but they aren't set up to broadcast from there >:(

I agree. But I guess more people would watch U2 and Coldplay.

I saw a bit of Warpaint last night btw, I was flicking through the red button on BBC2 & BBC3. There's a lot of stuff on iPlayer which I intend to dig through over the next couple of days.

« Reply #67 on: 26 June, 2011, 04:58:27 pm »
I'm hoping they've at least recorded the audio and that it will turn up on Gideon Coe and Mark Radcliffe shows over the next few weeks.

« Reply #68 on: 26 June, 2011, 07:20:04 pm »
Some of the Pulp audio has been played on 6Music this afternoon.

border-rider

« Reply #69 on: 26 June, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »
Paul Simon played a good set. Decent choice for the Pyramid Stage on a sunny afternoon.  But Don McClean ? A waxwork man playing a Nashvillle version of Buddy Holly on Mogadon.  Now he's doing a slow, depressing version of Vincent, which was never especially fast or cheerful...

border-rider

« Reply #70 on: 26 June, 2011, 08:09:54 pm »
"What's that Sooty ? You want the whole 17 minutes version of American Pie again ? Oh, OK then"

;D

« Reply #71 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:06:51 pm »
Just caught some Vaccines, Noisettes and White Lies. The decent stuff is there you've just got to find it.

« Reply #72 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:17:09 pm »
Mrs Dan is concerned that Pendulum might be a bit over dressed.

border-rider

« Reply #73 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:21:31 pm »
Yeah, that woolly hat must be less than comfortable

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #74 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:55:58 pm »
It's cold here though when you come from Australia  ;D