Author Topic: Glastonbury  (Read 11130 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Glastonbury
« on: 24 June, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »
Watching BB King.  He looks well; I didn't recognise him at first without the big glasses.

Mozzer is on next, if he doesn't throw a hissy fit.  "First Of The Gang To Die" is a good singalong tune, if he does it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Glastonbury
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2011, 08:45:30 pm »
Awh rats, missed of it. He's playing Embra on Sunday. I tried to persuade pingu to ditch our Kings of Leon tickets in favour of the old dude, but he wouldn't let me :-(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:03:40 pm »
Just watched bits of BB.  Don't know whether it's my poor TV speakers or the lousy sound set-up at the stage but there were big chunks of music where it was difficult to tell if they were all in the same key.  It was certainly one of the biggest collections of unacceptable shirts ever put together (if you don't count Norwich City) and probably the biggest total waistline on a British stage.  But BB will always be one of the greats and I bet some people will have been amazed by just what a singer he is, like Freddie King.

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:14:05 pm »
The sound from Glasto sounds  always a bit crap to me!   I'm off to see BB King at Manchester Apollo tomorrow, and hopefully the shirts will be toned down ( but I doubt it somehow)  still,  he's not doing bad for his age!!!!

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »
Just watched bits of BB.  Don't know whether it's my poor TV speakers or the lousy sound set-up at the stage but there were big chunks of music where it was difficult to tell if they were all in the same key.  It was certainly one of the biggest collections of unacceptable shirts ever put together (if you don't count Norwich City) and probably the biggest total waistline on a British stage.  But BB will always be one of the greats and I bet some people will have been amazed by just what a singer he is, like Freddie King.

"The cast of Live And Let Die" was my first thought about the backing band  ;D  Damn, he's good though.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:45:13 pm »
Heh.  Mozzer has just called David Cameron a "silly twit" for trying to block the circus animals bill in parliament  :thumbsup:

"Meat is Murder" is a bit of dirge though.

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:48:25 pm »
BB king is 85 years old and he can still sing and play. Respect to the old bastard.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »
Moz needs a new guitarist.  Preferably Johnny Marr, but at least *someone* who can play "This Charming Man" properly  ::-)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:01:53 pm »
Glasto lost it about 10 year back when it got near impossable to get for free and all the hippies / travellers and wrong ones stopped going. It's just full of post graduates nowadays n 40+ year olds with children.

Best gig I seen at Glasto was Keano Reeves ? or whatever is name is, he got a band together called Dogstar I  think ? Well they got mud  bombed off stage  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:02:47 pm »
BB king is 85 years old and he can still sing and play. Respect to the old bastard.

If you can avoid arthritis, which, sadly, some don't, there's no reason you shouldn't play well for ever.  It's the voice that usually goes a bit.  The great classical maestro Segovia was still playing concerts in his very late eighties.  One of the last he did was in Rochdale (where I'm exiled).  It's thought this may have been responsible for his subsequent demise.  (He didn't sing a word, though.)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:06:26 pm »
As did the late James Brown. And he still moved lol. Sorry I never neen him live.

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »
Best gig I seen at Glasto was Keano Reeves ? or whatever is name is, he got a band together called Dogstar I  think ? Well they got mud  bombed off stage  :thumbsup:
Daphne and Celeste being bottled off at Reading was one of the greatest moments in 21st century music.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_hnxies4Wtk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_hnxies4Wtk&rel=1</a>

« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:07:33 pm »
Glasto lost it about 10 year back when it got near impossable to get for free and all the hippies / travellers and wrong ones stopped going. It's just full of post graduates nowadays n 40+ year olds with children.

Best gig I seen at Glasto was Keano Reeves ? or whatever is name is, he got a band together called Dogstar I  think ? Well they got mud  bombed off stage  :thumbsup:

John, you are just an uneducated Manc buffoon who is peeved because Glastonbury wouldn't give you the marijuana concession!

PS  How are your plans going for the 5x200?

« Reply #13 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:21:14 pm »

Aye, I went and jumped the fence the last year that was possible ;D

To be fair, it's shite if you watch the main stages (Jimmy Cliff notwithstanding) - all the good mojo is a-happening on the outer stages and wee tents. 

But.  U2.  :sick:

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:25:09 pm »

John, you are just an uneducated Manc buffoon who is peeved because Glastonbury wouldn't give you the marijuana concession!

PS  How are your plans going for the 5x200?
I think 5x200 audax in one week is a little to much for me. It was 7x200. Now it's 3x200 in 5 days. I'm trying to do 3x200 a week at the mo and its going OK/Obsessive.

Who said cycling is healthy ?

Your audax results are getting more unhealthy everytime I see them lol. Are you after a divorce ?

« Reply #15 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:27:00 pm »

Who said cycling is healthy ?

Your audax results are getting more unhealthy everytime I see them lol. Are you after a divorce ?

So far, it's all before the divorce!

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #16 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:28:59 pm »

Aye, I went and jumped the fence the last year that was possible ;D

To be fair, it's shite if you watch the main stages (Jimmy Cliff notwithstanding) - all the good mojo is a-happening on the outer stages and wee tents. 

I thought Bono, Bone no ? was a politicion nowadays with Bob Geldof ? Is Bob Geldof n that Bono bezzy mates ?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #17 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:43:16 pm »
Moz needs a new guitarist.  Preferably Johnny Marr, but at least *someone* who can play "This Charming Man" properly  ::-)

No, he just needs to stop playing it live. The Smiths version is perfection, nobody else could do it justice. It's like trying to draw the Mona Lisa on an Etch-a-Sketch. I quite liked Meat Is Murder though, they are clever enough to interpret it rather than replicate it.

I missed BB King (I was marshalling the club 10), I hope I can catch it on iPlayer or something. I regret not going to see him in Cardiff a couple of years ago, there's only him and Buddy Guy left now of the old bluesmen.

border-rider

« Reply #18 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:48:01 pm »

The ISS link was good though :)

« Reply #19 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:48:43 pm »

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:53:19 pm »
I thought at first it was live, which would have been fantastic, but I don't think it was

red marley

« Reply #21 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:53:42 pm »
I can only stomach a few minutes of Bono up himself. Have I missed the tax dodging protest? Art Uncut were planning something for him, but don't know what.

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:55:31 pm »
Not a big fan either, but my word they do a good show

« Reply #23 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »

The ISS link was good though :)

Was that genuine at all?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #24 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:05:28 pm »
Not a big fan either, but my word they do a good show

Have to agree with this.
The one thing about Glastonbury that get my goat is how it now seems to be hi-jacked by the bbc and radio 1 every year  :hand:
Other than that its brilliant  8)