Author Topic: Glastonbury  (Read 11127 times)

red marley

Re: Glastonbury
« Reply #25 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:10:23 pm »
If this is true Michael Eavis should be ashamed of himself to let the security staff get away with that.

« Reply #26 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:16:36 pm »
Have to agree with this.
The one thing about Glastonbury that get my goat is how it now seems to be hi-jacked by the bbc and radio 1 every year  :hand:

Not when I've been there it hasn't. In fact, there is very little to suggest a tv presence.

Watching it on tv doesn't give you much of an idea of what the festival is like. It isn't really the big stages, it's all the crazy shit going on in the places the cameras can't reach.

Rabbit hole, anyone?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:19:30 pm »
The one thing that annoys me about Glastonbury is how the organiser thinks he has the right to close roads to the public.

We haven't had a Solstice Warty this year, but the last two have ben along roads which have purportedly been closed to stop gatecrashers. They have been manned by young men whose job it is, presumably, to stop people entering the festival site.

That did not stop us form using the roads in question, but we ignored the requests / orders / instructions of the young men in order to access them.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #28 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:23:32 pm »
Have to agree with this.
The one thing about Glastonbury that get my goat is how it now seems to be hi-jacked by the bbc and radio 1 every year  :hand:

Not when I've been there it hasn't. In fact, there is very little to suggest a tv presence.

Watching it on tv doesn't give you much of an idea of what the festival is like. It isn't really the big stages, it's all the crazy shit going on in the places the cameras can't reach.

Rabbit hole, anyone?

I only went once, 1987, I dont think the media would have touched it with a barge pole back then.

« Reply #29 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:29:31 pm »
The whole complexion of the event changed ten years ago when the built the new fence and Mean Fiddler took over security. It's very much a moneyed middle class gig now. The last time of glorious mayhem was probably '99 when there were about 250,000 people on site

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #30 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:42:44 pm »
I thought at first it was live, which would have been fantastic, but I don't think it was

No I don't think it was live either. I quite liked U2 in around 1981-82 but now they seem totally lacking in self-deprecating humour and irony. I baited an aquaintance on facebook who was raving about them with the phrase "god-bothering tax-dodgers" and he replied "they're Irish and we're in the UK so it doesn't affect us"  ::-)

I find it even more annoying that Bono steals bits of other songs (Primal Scream, Joy Division amongst many). Pay your respects with a proper cover, don't appropriate a line or two when it suits you!

If you watch it with the sound down they look like any other Christian rock band.

« Reply #31 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:47:23 pm »
I remember Mary-Anne Hobbs describing U2 as "music for people who don't really like music".

border-rider

« Reply #32 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:51:08 pm »
I find it even more annoying that Bono steals bits of other songs (Primal Scream, Joy Division amongst many). Pay your respects with a proper cover, don't appropriate a line or two when it suits you!

Oh I dunno, I quite liked the Primal Scream bit :)

They're on telly now though and the original's better

« Reply #33 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:49:12 am »
Primal Scream are ace live. One of my favourite bands form my Glastonbury going days.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #34 on: 25 June, 2011, 11:54:04 am »
The whole complexion of the event changed ten years ago when the built the new fence and Mean Fiddler took over security. It's very much a moneyed middle class gig now. The last time of glorious mayhem was probably '99 when there were about 250,000 people on site

Sorry, I read that as 250,000 people on shite, which would have worked pretty much as well!

« Reply #35 on: 25 June, 2011, 12:02:42 pm »

Iirc there was a fence back then (87).
Tbh with all the various itinerate groups that arrived and set up camp outside the main site, as you could then, there was nearly as good a festival to be had for free outside the wall. Happy days.

« Reply #36 on: 25 June, 2011, 12:04:05 pm »
And if it hadn't changed there would be no Glasto now.  They were threatening to close the whole thing down if it security wasn't tightened and numbers controlled.

« Reply #37 on: 25 June, 2011, 12:05:49 pm »
Primal Scream are ace live. One of my favourite bands form my Glastonbury going days.

Just realised that they are doing a  20th anniversary Screamadelica set. Last time I saw them at Glastonbury was 20 years ago. God I feel old all of a sudden.

« Reply #38 on: 25 June, 2011, 12:28:07 pm »
And if it hadn't changed there would be no Glasto now.  They were threatening to close the whole thing down if it security wasn't tightened and numbers controlled.

I blame Thatcher  ;D
It wasnt that bad. Most people turned up in battered Chrysler Avengers and the like and just mucked in. No police on the site back then either.
Its still good today from what I hear people saying, just not as good imo. But it never is as good when you get old  ;)

« Reply #39 on: 25 June, 2011, 12:30:23 pm »
But it never is as good when you get old  ;)

It can be - you just have to take longer over it.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #40 on: 25 June, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »
:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #41 on: 25 June, 2011, 04:08:27 pm »
Ooooo Rumer. I like her.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #42 on: 25 June, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »
I don't know who Jessie James is :-[ but good on her for singing with a broken leg, sitting on a throne.

On Freeview channel 301 now.

ps.  She's spreading mud on her face now :facepalm:

pps.  Now she's got a kid from the audience to join her.  Rubbish music, but a fun show :thumbsup:

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #43 on: 25 June, 2011, 08:54:20 pm »
That kid was fantastic! Obviously a big fan (she knew all the words), and so confident and un-self-conscious. Cheered me up no end.

border-rider

« Reply #44 on: 25 June, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »
Yeah, Jessie James was truly rubbish.  And Paolo Bloody Nutinni ? Please.

The Kills were excellent in my opinion, though.

I enjoyed C Lo Green last night too.  Catproof suit, or what ?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #45 on: 25 June, 2011, 09:12:28 pm »
If you're liking Elbow (BBC Three now), check out Guy Garvey's radio show on Six Music, Sundays 10pm.

« Reply #46 on: 25 June, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »
Quite gutted not to be there this year. Love Elbow...and the atmosphere at Glasto in general. We only met one set of twats last year (drunk teenagers watching Muse). Everyone else was great and it's true, the telly coverage barely scratches the surface.

border-rider

« Reply #47 on: 25 June, 2011, 09:46:48 pm »
Noah & the Whale channelling Jonathan Richman...

border-rider

« Reply #48 on: 25 June, 2011, 10:31:13 pm »
Coldplay <yawns & stretches>

Makes U2 look fresh & exciting

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #49 on: 25 June, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »
I concur. Best thing on now is Anna Calvi - but I've always been a sucker for a girl with a Telecaster and an AC30, and the harmonium reminds me of Ivor Cutler.