Author Topic: Use by date ?  (Read 3502 times)

Use by date ?
« on: 13 November, 2009, 10:08:54 am »
I've got some Lamb Shanks in the fridge,  use by date 07/11/09,   I've been meaning to cook them all week, but haven't got round to it.   Would you use them ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Use by date ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2009, 10:14:54 am »
Well, I wouldn't. ;)

Happy to help. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2009, 10:16:58 am »
Yes.   And I'd eat them.

So, if you're really not sure about them...   :D

« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2009, 10:24:54 am »
If they smell ok and don't have a green tinge, they will be fine :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2009, 10:41:14 am »
If the fridge is always kept cool  and the door not left open most certainly eat 'em :thumbsup: The eat by date has only just passed.

If they have been in the freezer, expiry dates don't really apply.

If you're not sure smell them and you will quickly know if they are going off and also the colour changes.

I have been using New Zealand cream in a pressure container that was kept in the fridge door for almost one year after the expiry date. No problems at all and cream, as you know with warmth, goes off quicker than anything.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »
If they smell ok and don't have a green tinge, they will be fine :).

Precisely. I'd happily keep red meat in a cool fridge for a couple of weeks. It may even have improved the flavour and texture  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:53:34 pm »
Another vote for yes. Without hesitation.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:20:26 pm »
I eat food until it starts to smell/look off.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:43:46 pm »
Use by dates are calculated based on the known bacterial content at packaging and the known speed of bacterial growth at the recommended temperature.

So basically - your guess is as good as mine - but the odds are that the food now has a higher bacterial content than your stomach might like.

From the Food Standards agency.

What should be considered when deciding whether to apply a "use by" date?
The essential judgement is whether the food is microbiologically highly perishable and in consequence likely, after a short period of time, to pose an immediate danger to human health. It is important to note that both criteria have to be satisfied.

Foods which need labelling with use by dates are those that have to be stored at low temperatures to maintain their safety rather than their quality. They will have a short product life following manufacture, after which their consumption may present a risk of food poisoning. They will be likely to fall into one or both of the following groups:

* foods which at ambient or chill temperatures are capable of supporting the formation of toxins or multiplication of pathogens to a level which could lead to food poisoning if they are not stored correctly;
    * foods intended for consumption either without cooking or after treatment (such as reheating) unlikely to be sufficient to destroy food poisoning organisms which may be present.
Owner of a languishing Langster

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:56:57 pm »
Would you use them ?

Unless the sheepy shanks smell skanky, yes.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »
'Best before' dates confer food quality - past the date it may not taste as good but it should not do you harm (does not apply to eggs, which confusingly have a 'best before' date related to Salmonella risk).

'Use by' date confers food safety; since it is a week past the date, very through cooking (hot casserole for hours, not slow cooker) might be ok, grilling may not be. Common hazards include Clostridium perfringens, Salmonella, enterotoxigenic E.coli, enterotoxigenic Staphylococcus aureus (depends what you do with it during & after cooking).

Is it worth the risk to you?

Marco the Microbiologist.

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2009, 12:15:37 pm »
'Best before' dates confer food quality - past the date it may not taste as good but it should not do you harm (does not apply to eggs, which confusingly have a 'best before' date related to Salmonella risk).

'Use by' date confers food safety; since it is a week past the date, very through cooking (hot casserole for hours, not slow cooker) might be ok, grilling may not be. Common hazards include Clostridium perfringens, Salmonella, enterotoxigenic E.coli, enterotoxigenic Staphylococcus aureus (depends what you do with it during & after cooking).

Is it worth the risk to you?

Marco the Microbiologist.

But, would YOU eat them?   

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2009, 12:22:19 pm »
Personally, I would not eat meat more than several days over or food that won't be cooked again.
Tins, jars and powder-dry foods I will use even if ten years past their date.

Marco Stefano

« Reply #13 on: 14 November, 2009, 12:24:13 pm »
Agreed, hellymedic.

I wouldn't take the risk.

« Reply #14 on: 14 November, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »
A microbiologist and a Dr.   Hmmm, I won't argue.  Lamb _chops_ for tea tonight  :P

Marco Stefano

« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2009, 09:12:04 pm »
A microbiologist and a Dr.   Hmmm, I won't argue.  Lamb _chops_ for tea tonight  :P

::-)

Two questions:

1. Were they good. if a little gamey?  :-X
2. How are you feeling? So far...?  ;)

<Unlucky Alf>
"Knowing my luck he'll be absolutely fine and I'll get the collywobbles from toast & marmalade"
<Unlucky Alf> 

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2009, 09:37:25 pm »
He didn't use the out of date shanks - chops are a different cut of the meat.

« Reply #17 on: 15 November, 2009, 09:43:55 pm »
What have you done with those lovely ripe shanks then?   ;)

« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2009, 12:12:38 am »
Bin,  and I really hate doing that  >:(   My own fault for leaving them so long, but I just haven't felt like doing any proper cooking this week.   

« Reply #19 on: 16 November, 2009, 06:56:50 am »
I've had a look at some of our stock.

Petshop
Tinned meat pet foods =2 years
Locally made nuts = 2 years
Imported ditto = 2 years

Human foods
Tinned fish 1. = 6 years
Tinned fish 2. = 3 years
Pork chops (frozen) = 1 month
Pork loin 1 ( from cooler to my fridge) = 3 days
Pork loin 2 ( from cooler to my fridge) = 1 day!
Imported Anchor cream = 9 months

Seems to me that there are some inconsistencies here. All human foods were bought from a decent local Supermarket.

Hence I will continue to use my nose for ultimate reliablity :P

Recently though, I had some sausages in the fridge which I hadn't cooked. They had been there for a few weeks and whilst there was no nasty smell coming from them, they got binned just in case.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #20 on: 18 November, 2009, 12:09:00 pm »
Years ago I spent the summers working on an arable farm. The main crops were spring onions, cabbage, and runner beans. These would be picked from the field, given a quick wash and thrown in the cold store. Leter in the year cabbage would also be dunked into preservative before going into the store as they were coming off the field much faster than they were ordered and could be in store for months. The packing shed would take produce out of the cold store in rotation and pack for the supermarkets, including sealing into bags or film and applying the best before labels.

Depending upon the order levels and time of year, stuff could be going out labelled with widely differing best before* dates (days or even weeks difference in the case of cabbage) even though it came off the fields at roughly the same time. In the height of summer, spring onions would be packed during the day, with the actual order only coming in mid-afternoon. It simply wasn't possible to fulfill the order after it had arrived, so the supervisor would work to an estimate. Any that were packed but not sent out that day would be sent out the next (or a couple of days later if it spanned a weekend) - with an extra day or two on the best before label. Sometimes stuff would have a label removed if too many had been labelled up and subsequently go out with a later date on it.

After this I treated all such labels as, at best, advisory.

*using "best before" as a generic term, maybe it was "use by"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 20 November, 2009, 04:23:05 am »
Dunked in preservative - that's convinced me it is a good idea to remove the outer leaves.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rr

« Reply #22 on: 21 November, 2009, 05:17:23 pm »
just had bacon wraps made with bacon three weeks past the use by date

nomm nomm

« Reply #23 on: 21 November, 2009, 05:43:33 pm »
I got given a jar of Seafood Cocktail* in Sunflower Oil some time back and have been meaning to get round to using it. Last night I got it out of the cupboard and it seems I got given it longer ago than I thought. Best Before Date of nineteenth May this year.

From the definition of Best Before given earlier they won't taste as good as they would have six months ago but I'd be feart of trying them now.

Will they be safe? Because it's seafood I instinctively think no! but plenty of fishy products are kept in oil for a long time aren't they?

*Squid, Octopus, Cuttlefish, Mussels, Prawns and Cockles in variable proportions.

« Reply #24 on: 21 November, 2009, 05:50:27 pm »
Today I found a tin of baked beans that were 3 months passed the best before date, I put  it in the bin just to be on the safe side