Author Topic: Frame building pictures  (Read 6417 times)

Frame building pictures
« on: 20 April, 2012, 09:57:07 pm »
Now then people

Here is a link to a blog by Chris Vernon who recently attended one of my framebuilding courses. He has some cracking pics of what he did for those interested in this sort of thing.

http://chrisvernon.co.uk/2012/04/building-a-bicycle-frame-with-dave-yates-day-1/

Mods, if you think this would be better in the sticky topic feel free to shift it.

Cheers

Dave Yates
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Frame building pictures
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2012, 10:11:31 pm »
:thumbsup:

I've added links to this to the stickies on this board.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2012, 10:36:55 pm »
I already have a new frame recently and now I'm jealous.  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2012, 10:38:35 pm »
Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! 8)
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2012, 11:12:36 pm »
I really want to do this one day... no, I really will do this one day!

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2012, 09:37:14 am »
Lovely stuff.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »
I know that if I get to the end of my life without having a stab at making my own bicycle frame, I'll feel incomplete.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »
Harry Quinn course in 1986.  Harry is on the right and his son Peter is on the left.  Course was at Manorbier, Pembrokeshire.  I built a good old fashioned road track frame, ie a track frame with eyes and clearance for mudguards.  Of course frame tubes look skinny compared with the huge tubing popular today, and the round section forks look spindly but it is a thing of understated elegance.  26 years on and you bet I still have it.

I met Dave Yates at York a few years ago.  He was interested to meet somebody who had done the Harry Quinn course.

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2012, 07:42:25 pm »
I have a sneaking suspicion that the elegance of steel frames and classic layouts will make a come back.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2012, 08:37:17 pm »
I don't think they ever went away...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2012, 11:20:42 pm »
I'm very impressed.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:44:38 am »
Dave - Suzi's bike has been built up and in use pretty much daily since about October.... unfortunately she's not managed to dedicate enough time to clean it to her exacting standards in order to get a photo off to you!  In a nutshell, it looks great and works great.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:50:05 am »
Dave - Suzi's bike has been built up and in use pretty much daily since about October.... unfortunately she's not managed to dedicate enough time to clean it to her exacting standards in order to get a photo off to you!  In a nutshell, it looks great and works great.
Your wife built a bike on Dave Yates's course? Or something along those lines? In that case want to see this bike (and your wife too!) at the Grain Barge on Wednesday Thursday whatever day it is we've settled on.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:51:25 am »
Your wife built a bike on Dave Yates's course? Or something along those lines? In that case want to see this bike (and your wife too!) at the Grain Barge on Wednesday Thursday whatever day it is we've settled on.

You may have seen it already but forgotten - on the tasty cheddar audax last year? Pale blue with disc brakes and drop bars.

I'll try and pursuade her to come down for a pie and a pint, but she's mental busy with this teacher training malarky.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:57:52 am »
I remember seeing the two of you outside the Nova Scotia but not sure which were your bikes. I think by the time I arrived you were probably ready to go!

Good luck to her with the teacher training.

« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2012, 07:58:05 pm »
Hello - I'm Chris, the frame in the blog is mine.  Thanks for the interest.

It's with Argos for painting at the moment, handy as I live in Bristol.  As it seems a few other folk do too!  I'll put up another blog as soon as I get it built up.   8)

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2012, 07:50:57 am »

Hi Graham

Glad Suzi's bike is working well. dont worry about "clean" lets have some pics ;D

Dave Yates
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2012, 04:11:06 pm »
Wonderful thread  -  many thanks for posting the blog and pics!

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2012, 04:49:52 pm »
^^ Tom Board ??!! (Hope you're not looking for tips on building frames....!)
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #19 on: 04 June, 2012, 10:31:57 pm »
Finally got around to building up my new frame this weekend, scavenged the Ultegra groupset from my old carbon bike.