Author Topic: Heart of England 300, Sat 23rd April  (Read 15794 times)

Re: Heart of England 300, Sat 21st April
« Reply #100 on: 21 April, 2019, 07:05:14 pm »
Neil Flemming is the name your memory needs rebooting with

Ta  :thumbsup:

as a fellow velo' rider I wouldn't like to ride with "alien hood" on in warm weather and especially up hills!

As I chatted to him on the second of the Compton Abdale climbs he did mention something along the lines of it being ever so slightly warm inside...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #101 on: 21 April, 2019, 07:10:17 pm »
Simon-A  hope your ride home was with out incident Rob from Bath
Remember don't eat yellow snow

« Reply #102 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:42:06 pm »
Enjoyable ride - the cold when descending into valley at the start was chilling but after that I was too warm if anything.

Some fantastic, quintessentially English scenery.

Nice controls who served quickly - especially enjoyed the treacle tart and custard at Sturdy Castle.

Finished with over 90 minutes to spare which was quite good (for me).

Thanks to organiser and assistants  :)

« Reply #103 on: 22 April, 2019, 05:51:57 pm »
Thank you to Peter and team for an excellent event.  I finished this year after spectacularly wrecking my rear mech on the  climb out of Daventry last year.
Highlights and excitement:
- Puncture at 30K
- Trying to explain to the chap with many bottles of Heineken lined up on the handrail of the bridge by the ford what the many cyclist who had passed where doing...I don’t think he got it.
- Being chased by dogs after the bit of rough stuff through the farm (two Jack Russell and a German Sheppard) They meant business I thought I was going to get teeth marks in my ankle.  After sprinting hard while uttering "why don’t you go home" (or words to that effect) they eventually desisted.  I could of done without a Hoy type sprint effort at 230ish KM into my ride!!!
- A pint of Bombadier to wash down crisps and a Marsbar at Sturdy's Castle.
- The welcome, rice pud, flapjack and two cups of tea at the arrive that helped me on my way for the final 32 K home
A full value ride for me after a bout of the flu three weeks ago... finished with 45 minutes to spare.  Thanks to Steve from ACB for his company, on and off, for the second half of the ride.     

« Reply #104 on: 22 April, 2019, 06:14:21 pm »
Simon-A  hope your ride home was with out incident Rob from Bath
Yes thanks Rob, home all OK by 0230  :thumbsup:

« Reply #105 on: 20 April, 2022, 03:17:38 pm »
Giving this a bump as I'm riding on Saturday - who's in?

Re: Heart of England 300, Sat 23rd April
« Reply #106 on: 20 April, 2022, 08:17:40 pm »
I'm entered, but given I'm currently in Africa, and will only get home at about midnight on Friday, I'm unlikely to make it.

Re: Heart of England 300, Sat 23rd April
« Reply #107 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:25:50 pm »
Blimey that headwind was hard work! Cracking route though.