Author Topic: Death by dangerous cycling offense proposed  (Read 5229 times)

Re: Death by dangerous cycling offense proposed
« Reply #25 on: 08 March, 2018, 08:19:42 am »
What if you hit a dopey ped who staggers into your path on a psyclepath?  Shared paths are no safer than pavements.

Did that. I fell off my bike while they stood there laughing.  Another time I was hit by a SMIDsy jogger who also knocked me off while remaining standing.  Was behind a cyclist who struck the side of a moving bus after a jaywalker's hit-and-run.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

Re: Death by dangerous cycling offense proposed
« Reply #26 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:59:35 pm »
It will make a difference to the statistics. If drossall's figure of 3 pedestrians a year killed by cyclists is correct (I'd have guessed it was far lower than that, but I would have been guessing), that will now become 3 cases of "death by dangerous cycling", likely regardless of the circumstances. That might become a stick to beat us with; never mind that it pales into insignificance beside the numbers killed by drivers.

The problem with "regardless of circumstances" is that the attempting to prosecute the wrong offence for the circumstances will just result in a lack of convictions.

No-one has posted the Martin Porter QC interview link yet I see:-

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/3372/cycling-and-the-law-martin-porter-qc-interview

In his opinion even Charlie Alliston would not have been prosecuted under this new law.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."