Author Topic: Chris Walker Cycle Challenge - Lake District - 9 July 2011  (Read 3080 times)

Chris Walker Cycle Challenge - Lake District - 9 July 2011
« on: 10 March, 2011, 09:45:26 pm »
http://www.chriswalkercyclechallenge.com/

Strictly speaking this is neither an Audax nor a Sportive.....but the longer route is certainly a challenge !

The routes are signed and there is a broom wagon like a Sportive for the longer route.
The feed stops are more basic - bananas, flapjacks, malt loaf if you're lucky, water - not a gel, or an energy drink in sight.  No corporate sponsors either.

Cost is at Audax levels

All routes start at Keswick
22 Miles is over the Honister, return over Newlands £5.00 (No broomwagon or feed stops )
43 miles is over the Honister, return over Whinlatter £6.00 (1 feed stop at the halfway point included)
85 miles is over the Honister, Hardknott, Wrynose and the Kirkstone    just £7.00 (2 feed stops and broomwagon included)

Last year - the first edition, was a very friendly low-key event, but well-organised all the same IMO.   Heartily to be recommended to all masochists ... but please make sure your brake blocks are in good condition... those descents are scarier than the climbs!

Re: Chris Walker Cycle Challenge - Lake District - 9 July 2011
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »
That's actually quite tempting. 

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:13:35 am »
That's actually quite tempting. 

You'd not be disappointed !

Just remembered... my profile pic is taken on the Honister last year, one of the less steep sections (you can tell, cos I'm pedalling not off and walking). 

« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »
I think I've ridden all of those roads, albeit mostly fully loaded.  It'd make a change not to have to hoik a tent and stove up the Struggle ;D

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:49:05 pm »
Deano. fancy it on fixed?

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2011, 12:40:41 pm »
Wow !
Sunshine all day in the Lakes !

What a fabulous round this is - possibly the best 85 mile loop in England.   Managed to ride the Honister and The Struggle this year, probably need to lose about another stone before next year if I am to avoid walking the Hardknott and the Wrynose again.