Author Topic: Continental usb plug adaptor  (Read 2461 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Continental usb plug adaptor
« on: 12 September, 2023, 08:24:42 am »
I am after a USB adaptor with a continental ie 2 pin plug for the purpose of charging small stuff whilst on hols. Are these available in the UK from reliable sources, or is it much easier to wait till I get to continental land? If the latter any suggestions for good purveyors in NL ideally not too far from HoekvH, would Blokker be our friend?

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Continental usb plug adaptor
« Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:27:13 am »
You want an SKROSS adapter.

Bulky, but they fit any socket in the world (and have universal outlets + USB on some models).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:30:50 am »
Regards,

Joergen

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:43:08 am »
If you have a charger with a figure of 8 mains input, get a cable that has a two pin plug on it. That way you get a bit of length too.

Something like this. (But not this one, it is just the first that came up in a search)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000503811224.html
It is simpler than it looks.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:53:49 am »
Sorry I should have been clearer! I just want continental 2 pin to USB for minimum weight and portability. I already have one of those anywhere in the world adaptors but as said above they are heavy. I suspect it will be easier to get one in NL but means taking a gamble on not transporting anything from the UK.

« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2023, 09:13:06 am »
A search for EU 2 pin USB adaptor will find what you need.  I have one branded Kodak that came with a camera several years ago.  "Pipestation" seems to be a brand sold through Amazon and eBay, or there are fancy high power ones by Samsung on ebay  (again, using that same search only within eBay).

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2023, 09:26:48 am »
The one Jiber links to, you change the pins over and they aren’t really much bulkier than a fixed 2 pin plug.  I have a similar one I’ve just used in Dolomites.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2023, 09:35:41 am »
I bought one from a market stall in Delft last year, still works  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2023, 11:09:11 am »

This sort of thing, a narrow-bodied 2-pin EU plug.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2023, 11:22:04 am »
I use these types which allow me to use the same charger anywhere - they come with various plug stds - there's other cheaper versions so take a look for what suits your needs - I picked this one as it's quite high power output.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Charger-Charging-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B08M3L8BFT/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_4_31/257-7598856-5439743?pd_rd_w=v3XKw&content-id=amzn1.sym.c633ef94-5925-4800-8916-1372f3be4382&pf_rd_p=c633ef94-5925-4800-8916-1372f3be4382&pf_rd_r=XGXHNMWDMXYVCCYBMSS5&pd_rd_wg=1oHL5&pd_rd_r=6119d740-ef39-4306-a03f-9b0ff06fb1aa&pd_rd_i=B08M3L8BFT&psc=1

this makes me realize I have no idea where the 2 pin interface is for mine, did it even survive the house move  ???
I had used it in switzerland, italy and denmark so mine at least wasn't schuko only

« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2023, 12:04:40 pm »
I have used one of these:- https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-3-way-socket-with-2-usb-ports-white-70280993/ with the plug removed and replaced with one of these:-https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2029-ws/european-schuko-plug-side-entry/dp/PL07000

It's very large and probably not what you want.

I bought a couple of cheap USB chargers for American sockets from ebay and they were very dodgy*.

This https://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/p/smahagel-chargeur-usb-1-port-blanc-70538728/ would be good if you can get one. They do a 3 port version, and IKEA don't put their name on stuff unless it's properly made.

*See Big Clive for details of dodgy adaptors.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:19:40 pm »
If you have a charger with a figure of 8 mains input, get a cable that has a two pin plug on it. That way you get a bit of length too.

Something like this. (But not this one, it is just the first that came up in a search)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000503811224.html
Yes, I have an Anker charger that uses a figure of 8 cable. Something like this Anker 543 charger, it is fairly slim. https://www.anker.com/uk/products/a2046
It is a "C7 power cable", so can find one of those with a Euro plug.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:22:37 pm »
I got one from a shop in NL for very little without searching for long.You should be OK  :) it was probably Blokker. It's the same as the one in road runner's post. Also useful because some countries have that diamond shaped nozzle or else an earth pin which prevents some plugs powering larger devices from being inserted.

worth getting one with narrow pins as a lot of places don't have the high current (13A?) sockets

« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:52:03 pm »
Sorry I should have been clearer! I just want continental 2 pin to USB for minimum weight and portability. I already have one of those anywhere in the world adaptors but as said above they are heavy. I suspect it will be easier to get one in NL but means taking a gamble on not transporting anything from the UK.

Get a couple of the ones road-runner posted a picture of. They are very small and light, and fine for charging small things. I've been using them for years, just had to replace one that is no longer 100% reliable, but am just about to cycle in my 42nd country so they have done very well.

Trying to buy once abroad sounds sensible, but in practice can be hit-and-miss.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 13 September, 2023, 08:39:08 am »

NL supermarket'll probably have one, they do here (F). Proper supermarkets, not the mini-mart efforts.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16 on: 13 September, 2023, 05:04:34 pm »

NL supermarket'll probably have one, they do here (F). Proper supermarkets, not the mini-mart efforts.
And having got your "continental" 2 pin USB charger you can use it in the UK in a shaver socket or with a shaver adaptor to go in a "normal" square pin socket! (A shaver adaptor has been our go-to for visiting UK for several decades, one might even pre-date my knowing Mme!)

« Reply #17 on: 13 September, 2023, 05:36:51 pm »
... your "continental" 2 pin USB charger you can use it in the UK in a shaver socket ...

Check the current pull of the USB charger against the maximum current of the shaver socket as shaver sockets are isolated, low current sockets, safe(r) for use in a bathroom.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 13 September, 2023, 06:00:54 pm »
Hmm, 0.2A for a UK shaver socket, apparently (they're current limited by the isolating transformer saturating, as an additional safety feature).  That should be plenty for most USB devices, with the exception of laptops and high-spec power banks.

While looking that up, I discovered that shaver sockets with USB outputs are also A Thing, which seems eminently sensible for toothbrushes and wotnot.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2023, 06:26:27 pm »
Shaver socket accepting a FORRIN two pin adaptor, usb charger for the use of came in handy on the night boat to Cairo Rotterdam last week. I was sharing a cabin with a cycling buddy and we both had devices to charge. The cabin only had a single 230v outlet. Then I spotted the shaver socket in the palatial bathroom.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20 on: 13 September, 2023, 07:09:54 pm »
There's a strange occasional incompatibility between shaver and continental plugs/sockets.

The 2-pin plugs as found on shavers and anbaric mouth-stone cleaners are a bit strange, they have fatter pins which are marginally closer together than normal euro-style plugs.
Shaver sockets seem to have slightly ovalised 'oles to allow for either to be inserted.
But I've come across situations where I've had fatter and differently-spaced pins which could not be made to work.

But for the OP: you'll be able to pick up USB chargers almost anywhere in EU-land, same as you can here.

« Reply #21 on: 13 September, 2023, 07:10:49 pm »
While looking that up, I discovered that shaver sockets with USB outputs are also A Thing, which seems eminently sensible for toothbrushes and wotnot.
We have a shaver socket to USB adaptor which is used to charge our toothbrushes.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2023, 09:08:57 pm »
There's a strange occasional incompatibility between shaver and continental plugs/sockets.

The 2-pin plugs as found on shavers and anbaric mouth-stone cleaners are a bit strange, they have fatter pins which are marginally closer together than normal euro-style plugs.
Shaver sockets seem to have slightly ovalised 'oles to allow for either to be inserted.
But I've come across situations where I've had fatter and differently-spaced pins which could not be made to work.

But for the OP: you'll be able to pick up USB chargers almost anywhere in EU-land, same as you can here.

BS4573 is not Euro Plug
https://plugsocketmuseum.nl/British5.html

I've still found neither the slip on euro plug nor the adapter I'm sure i have that will just take the USAnia prongs

« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2023, 09:54:02 pm »

We have the french peasant attitude to non-compatibility since we regularly (like the majority of "french" peasants - me being only assimilated fp!) push the 2 pin plugs intended for I think a 10A socket into the much larger 16A sockets. No they are not supposed to go together - but they do, along with pile-ups of 3 way adaptors and other typically french mauvais habitudes. Surprising the place hasn't blown up or burnt down!
(I haven't seen the smaller sockets in a long while; they probably are no longer permitted in the modern standards.)

« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2023, 10:22:49 pm »
And having got your "continental" 2 pin USB charger you can use it in the UK in a shaver socket or with a shaver adaptor to go in a "normal" square pin socket! (A shaver adaptor has been our go-to for visiting UK for several decades, one might even pre-date my knowing Mme!)
Shaver sockets have nasty tendency to provide a good bit more than 240 V when there's no load. You may get around 280 V. I found this when trying to be safer when testing some LED lightbulbs, all of which died.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...