Author Topic: Online Banking Problem.  (Read 601 times)

Online Banking Problem.
« on: 16 April, 2024, 11:39:46 pm »
Recently my mother bought a new iMac.   It's in an room with 2 other iMac's , all connected by ethernet to a BT Home Hub. 

When I set it up for her I made sure it was able to connect to her online bank account at Lloyds.  She's been OK with this for a month.

In the last week she's been unable to connect.  She goes to the website, inputs her log on details & the system gives her a one time log on code.  It then calls her landline & she has to input this code via the phone keypad to authenticate.   She gets to this stage & it doesn't work, she gets an error message on screen.

I went around tonight & sat with her while she did this.  It didn't work, and for some reason the home hub appeared to lose connection at the final stage.  We then tried this with another iMac on the same LAN & the same thing happened.

I got my iPhone out, disabled wifi & was able to follow the same procedure , using her ID & passwords & log onto her account.   

Has anyone experienced anything like this before, and if so what was the fix ?   IP address concerned is xxxxx which is BT ADSL.

I can see that I'm going to spend a lot of time trying to locate a suitable droid in Lloyds , while being told as I'm not the account holder they can't help me!   

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Online Banking Problem.
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:46:21 pm »
Is the incoming phone call causing the ADSL to lose sync?

In which case, investigate the filters and wiring...

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:51:41 pm »
The hub starts flashing after the code has been input & accepted on the phone & the call cleared down.

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:23:39 am »
I'd get her to ask Lloyds if there's an alternative 2FA option to the call-back code entry like one of those card reader thingys, or a mobile phone code entry (as switching to FirstDirect, with whom I've had zero issues, probably isn't acceptable).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:33:57 am »
What Kim said.

Does making a phonecall yourself to the same number  and mashing some number buttons also break the internet?

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:38:03 am »
I would not leave her IP address up here in public.

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:28:50 am »
I'd get her to ask Lloyds if there's an alternative 2FA option to the call-back code entry like one of those card reader thingys, or a mobile phone code entry (as switching to FirstDirect, with whom I've had zero issues, probably isn't acceptable).

Yes, that would be a lot better, I'm with First Direct myself & they send a code via SMS.   

Talking to the bank is going to be awkward.  I'm not the account holder, but the account holder is not good on the phone (deaf) and can barely croak at the moment due to a nasty throat infection!   

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:41:10 am »
I had something similar when the HSBC were encouraging a move away from the hand held code generators to mobile phone banking. You can't have both (you only find this out later)  and once signed up for the mobile banking you could not use a manually generated input code, only being able to generate codes on the phone, even when banking on line. Support conversations were tortuous but got there in the end. Sounds like something is being blocked atm at your end possibly due to being flagged as suspicious activity. Also, to add to the frustration, I was having some building works undertaken at the time, contractor payments were being blocked by the bank with no reference to me. Hugely embarrasing and inconvenient. These payments were shown as having been made on the online statement which is totally bonkers.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:11:42 am »
My HorseyBank account doesn’t do any of that Stuffs.  Username, password and three characters from my 8 character memorable wossname.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:06:49 am »
The hub starts flashing after the code has been input & accepted on the phone & the call cleared down.

As others have said, this is the problem.
The incoming phone call is killing the internet connection.

There's no need to call the bank; it's not a bank problem, it's an Internet problem at your end.
The ADSL filtering needs looked at in the first instance.

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 02:52:02 pm »
Check the router logs, see if there is anything relevant at the time it stops working.

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:03:27 pm »
Further hardware tests will have to wait until I'm next there.   Everything has been in situ for ages though.   The rechargeable batteries in the phone handset are knackered as well, so I've ordered some replacements.  I'll have to dig through the box of cables & crap to see if I've still got a spare filter.

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:58:08 pm »
  Everything has been in situ for ages though. 

Hence why some it, like the filter may need replacing.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #13 on: Today at 08:11:15 am »
Can the 2FA landline number be substituted for a mobile number? That way the verification code would not go through the BT hub. It could also be sent as SMS which may be more convenient.

« Reply #14 on: Today at 08:19:12 am »
And now, without any intervention or changes she can log on again…….   She’s done it a couple of times to make sure it was ok.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:35:17 am »
Such is the way of things with marginal ADSL faults.

Could be a marginal intermittent line fault, like something getting wet and then drying out again.
ADSL is remarkably resilient in the face of some line faults which will knock out voice, but not others.
An incoming call shoves a rather high AC voltage onto the line, which could possibly under some fault conditions cause loss of sync.

I don't think you will be able to get anyone to fix it until it becomes a hard fault and the line won't sync at all.