Author Topic: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4  (Read 26568 times)

AndyK

Re: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4
« Reply #125 on: 21 August, 2012, 08:07:38 am »
I can't help feeling it's lacking something, because every week without fail I forget it's on and end up watching on catch-up.

« Reply #126 on: 21 August, 2012, 09:19:26 am »
I didn't realise Jeff Banks was a cat 1 in his day.

Rob's folder piece was a bit rubbish. He should have a least ranked them rather than just saying "I quite like this one". And mentioned the price. And fold size. And....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

LEE

« Reply #127 on: 21 August, 2012, 09:24:56 am »
I didn't realise Jeff Banks was a cat 1 in his day.

Rob's folder piece was a bit rubbish. He should have a least ranked them rather than just saying "I quite like this one". And mentioned the price. And fold size. And....

Still, at least I now know that a Penny-Farthing is quicker than a Mezzo folder, when you include the time to assemble Mezzo. 
I think it's something we'd all been wondering.

AndyK

Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4
« Reply #128 on: 21 August, 2012, 11:25:18 am »
Moultons are not folders. Seems the assumption is small wheels = folder. Also you don't get out of the saddle on a Moulton.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #129 on: 21 August, 2012, 11:47:11 am »
I honk on my Moulton lots. Riding a Duomatic at PBP03, I wasn't going to get around otherwise. You just need more preload, a stiifer spring and more damping, along with a 'sympathetic' cadence.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

AndyK

« Reply #130 on: 21 August, 2012, 12:35:23 pm »
And constant references to 'fold-up' bikes was really grating on me. What are they, five years old or something? They're folders or folding bikes.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #131 on: 21 August, 2012, 02:04:23 pm »
"No, Jeff, you don't need £6 million to run a Pro women's team. It's only £450,000. How about it?"
If I win Euromillions, I'll be sponsoring women's cycling.  :D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

fuzzy

« Reply #132 on: 21 August, 2012, 02:09:09 pm »
"No, Jeff, you don't need £6 million to run a Pro women's team. It's only £450,000. How about it?"
If I win Euromillions, I'll be sponsoring women's cycling.  :D

Yay, Yay and thrice Yay for Team EG Pro Cycling :thumbsup:

AndyK

« Reply #133 on: 21 August, 2012, 03:54:29 pm »
I've now watched last night's show. Still far too much focus on cycling as a sport and not enough on cycling as transport.

« Reply #134 on: 25 August, 2012, 07:37:20 pm »
As this thread records TCS is definately on the way up, i quite like Graham Little, i think he had a challenge being given the lead role on a new show and has grown steadily in confidence.  He seemed to make a bit of a leap forward when Ned Boulting was on - a bit unfair on Ned to use this as a direct similie but perhaps it was a bit horses and donkeys?  Seemed to help GL keep calm and he relaxed further into his role.

Having had a bit of a read around i believe the producer of the show has been wanting to make it for a year and a half, it was commissioned just six weeks or so before the first episode was broadcast, so just turning out a programme was an acheivement - they've done a good job of raising the bar week on week since.  Some of the items could be better but i expect this will come in time, no-one's commented on the fact that part of the feature on folding bikes was filmed in autumn, so they're presumably having to draw a bit wider to fill 45 mins.
Really enjoyed the last show - would never have imagined Jeff Banks would be such a good guest, and alongside Lizzie and Dani it was fun, informative and amusing, making it the best sofa interview yet.

I understand the producer is keen to promote the benefits of cycling in the round, the practical as well as the sporting, i guess all will be revealed as the show unfolds, certainly it's looking good enough (to me, at least!) to get a re-commission.  I'd quite like to see Danny MacAskill out and about doing interviews, he seems a really likeable guy despite being ridiculously talented, and in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3547uGVVZw shows why he might do well in such a role.

Just me two-penneth, i bid thee farewell.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #135 on: 25 August, 2012, 09:00:11 pm »
I would have liked to see them fold and unfold all the folders.  That's when you'd see that the Mezzo's front wheel has to come out of the dropout and it is a potentially unsafe design.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #136 on: 25 August, 2012, 09:05:53 pm »
I would have liked to see them fold and unfold all the folders.  That's when you'd see that the Mezzo's front wheel has to come out of the dropout and it is a potentially unsafe design.

Only if he hadn't tried to fold the moulton first
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #137 on: 25 August, 2012, 09:11:18 pm »
Endured the whole of last week's show.  Should be named the London Cycle Show.  Or at least the Urban Cycle Show.  Where was the countryside ?  The Dawes Galaxies ?  The drum ups ?  Obviously not cool enough.  That they've chosen to present it from a wannabe cool and trendy coffee shop in the middle of London says it all.   Compare and contrast The Adventure Show.
Aero but not dynamic

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #138 on: 25 August, 2012, 09:21:29 pm »
Endured the whole of last week's show.  Should be named the London Cycle Show.  Or at least the Urban Cycle Show.  Where was the countryside ?  The Dawes Galaxies ?  The drum ups ?  Obviously not cool enough.  That they've chosen to present it from a wannabe cool and trendy coffee shop in the middle of London says it all.   Compare and contrast The Adventure Show.

everything has to be focussed on London doesn't it - I mean everywhere outside of the M25 is just a wasteland obviously.

Reminds me of things like the transport spending around England:-

London - £2,731
South-east of England - £792
East Midlands - £311
West Midlands - £269
Yorkshire and Humberside - £201
North-west of England - £134
Eastern England - £43
South-west of England - £19
North-east of England - £5

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16235349
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #139 on: 25 August, 2012, 10:14:17 pm »
Sometimes i wonder if my posts go entirely unread or whether people just have their grumpy boots on?  ::-)
Surely you can lay off a bit and give them some credit for their efforts?  As i understand it they're a bunch of small fish who've developed and made a handful of TV shows, not global uberfuhrermeisters!
Mind you, i wish they'd do something about our bins, it's a bloody disgrace that is!  And what are they making tv programmes about bloody cycling for anyway?
 :demon:

Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4
« Reply #140 on: 25 August, 2012, 10:27:38 pm »
I now know the bloke in Liege with his foot caught in the railings with all the paramedics around him was Jeff Banks. Brits abroad hey. ;)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #141 on: 25 August, 2012, 10:57:19 pm »
Ooh.  Hopefully the Russell T Davies episodes, with Ben and the sheep with the wellies...

Crikey, I worked on some of those.  #old

Oh, and the comparison stands.  Some of the edits feel a bit odd to me, and the links are a bit LINK! if you know what I mean?  However, it's a cycling show on real TV (well, ITV4 anyway) so I'll give it time to grow.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #142 on: 26 August, 2012, 10:48:49 am »
Given what's been said about the timescales involved, it's a bit of an achievement to have managed to produce anything!  The London bit probably partly relates to that, and like it or not, it is the capital city, so it's always going to be easier to get guests, access to equipment and technical staff, quite possibly also cheaper (which is going to be an issue for a small company), as well as probably more appropriate stories, and recently the Olympics with a high cycling profile (which was quite possibly one of the reasons ITV decided to do the show at this time).  It's also the city with most of those factors, and a very large cycling population, which given a wish to do more general cycling stuff, rather than racing, is going to be a necessity.

I suspect Look Mum No Hands is as much about ease of availability than anything else.  They could have used a studio, but a suitable one may not have been easily available within the time, but I think LMNH lends a little but of authenticity to the feel, and I quite like the occasional clank of dishes, or someone dropping something in the background!

(Redshift is probably more able to comment on many of these aspects, I'm just guessing).

I don't think they're sports centred, although it's always going to be easier to find stories and people relating to that, especially with all the recent success, but they've done stuff, and had guests on who aren't directly related to current cycling sports, the recently mentioned folders, Gary Fisher, Jeff Banks all being good examples.

I hadn't realised that the Folder bit was filmed in Autumn, that's amusing, since they weren't necessarily wearing dramatically different clothes to what you would wear in an English summer. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #143 on: 26 August, 2012, 04:02:17 pm »
I prefer having it filmed in the cafe. Much better to show a cafe that is busy with cyclists, showing that cycling is allready well established than filming in a souless studio IMO.
I didn't think much of the piece with the Brompton, Moulton and Mezo. Pretty much amounted to, here are some bikes, I like this one best but the others were OK. The End. Would have been good to demonstrate their folding/dismantling. I was surprised that he didn't seem to rate the Moulton but that was probably because he's a bouncy climber. I never had trouble on my Moulton and only use the front suspension lock out on my mountain bike for super steep climbs where hitting something would bounce my front wheel off the ground.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #144 on: 26 August, 2012, 09:16:26 pm »
The London bit probably partly relates to that, and like it or not, it is the capital city, so it's always going to be easier to get guests

That will be London celebrity guests then.  For me this programme will only gain credibility when it starts sharing its sofa with the likes of George Berwick.
Aero but not dynamic

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #145 on: 26 August, 2012, 09:24:38 pm »
The London bit probably partly relates to that, and like it or not, it is the capital city, so it's always going to be easier to get guests

That will be London celebrity guests then.  For me this programme will only gain credibility when it starts sharing its sofa with the likes of George Berwick.

Perhaps George as the viewer-at-home's first contact with Audaxing might not be optimal. Maybe we should suggest they interview Salvatore when he eventually gets home.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

simonp

« Reply #146 on: 26 August, 2012, 09:48:20 pm »

When they asked on twitter about any cycling scenes they should be aware of I replied with Audax. So, you never know, they might be listening.

LEE

« Reply #147 on: 27 August, 2012, 10:08:01 pm »
Sometimes i wonder if my posts go entirely unread or whether people just have their grumpy boots on?  ::-)
Surely you can lay off a bit and give them some credit for their efforts?  As i understand it they're a bunch of small fish who've developed and made a handful of TV shows, not global uberfuhrermeisters!
Mind you, i wish they'd do something about our bins, it's a bloody disgrace that is!  And what are they making tv programmes about bloody cycling for anyway?
 :demon:

Maybe you should read my post on page 1

Waiting patiently for the YACF pedantic moan-fest that usually follows any cycling on TV.

I think we should all prepare for the TV show by taking 30 minutes to relax, breathe deeply and try to remember that not everyone is all that bothered about the correct way to thread the leather straps on Carradice saddlebags. (I suppose this could be covered by a James May character if we are making a Top Gear analogy).

It's not that our YACF glass is half empty, rather that it is totally empty, someone knocked it on the floor, where it smashed, and we subsequently stood on it in bare feet.

This thread should be a long line of posts along the lines of "Hooray..a program about cycling at last" but of course it isn't.

Check out the Tour de France TV coverage threads for more examples (You think Hitler did some bad things but just see what Sherwin and Ligget get up to.)

« Reply #148 on: 27 August, 2012, 11:42:47 pm »
You clearly knew what to expect Paul!
I made my first post having read the entire thread and there is a general indication that it is improving, i also note one post which says that the producers have been asking for input from the 'cycling community', which surely bodes well for it's development?

All of that aside, what are your takes on the show, as mentioned i think Graham Little's doing a pretty good job, they've had a varied mix of guests some more interesting than others, but have also managed to draw some big name guests, can understand why they included the roller racing thing but it seems a bit of a dead end.  What would you like to see to improve it?  What would you add / remove / feature?

For those who complain it is too London-centric i challenge you to do something of sufficient merit to warrant a feature, rather than criticise and pull down the hard work of others!  :P  :demon:

LEE

« Reply #149 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:08:12 am »
My take on the show is that I'm glad it's there, it shows things are improving cycling-wise (I'm sure it's gone from 30 mins to 60 mins but can't be bothered to check).

They have a small budget but manage to get some surprisingly famous people on there (well, famous to keen cyclists perhaps).

I think they need to develop a format for properly testing bikes and make it a regular slot. 

New cyclists always ask "what type of bike should I buy" and this show would be an ideal way of helping them.

Tell me about Gore-tex vs Event jackets perhaps and what the sensible commuters are wearing perhaps.

Sometimes (actually always) the interviews can feel a bit drawn out, so take 5 minutes to show people how to fix a puncture or something, in a "Mechanics Workshop" piece.

As much as I'm never likely to play Bicycle polo or MTB Trials riding it's good that we get to see different branches of the sport.  I hope we get some coverage of Track, Sportives, Audax, Touring..etc.

I hope that, if they ever cover Audax, they interview one of the Rapha boys who completed PBP and the qualifiers.  Their ride reports and photos are the best I've seen and would really help promote Audax to a less "Cotton-Ducky" generation.

It's so new that they are still finding their feet.  I hope it establishes itself and gives them enough time to perfect a format before it gets pulled.  I can't  believe it's hitting TV budgets that hard so it may survive in place of yet another "Friends" or "Top Gear" repeat. 

It's on my Series-Link so I'll be watching it as long as they make it (unless they turn it into some meaningless-to-cycling "Top Gear" format).