Author Topic: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4  (Read 26261 times)

Re: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4
« Reply #175 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »
Don't watch it then.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

AndyK

« Reply #176 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:20:32 pm »
Don't watch it then.

It's been that uninteresting I've forgotten it's on every Monday and watched the next day on catch up. If it was that good I wouldn't forget it's on. Not everyone is a mamil or roadie. If they want to appeal to a wider audience then they need to switch the content from 75% sport to 75% transport.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #177 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »
Don't watch it then.

It's been that uninteresting I've forgotten it's on every Monday and watched the next day on catch up. If it was that good I wouldn't forget it's on. Not everyone is a mamil or roadie. If they want to appeal to a wider audience then they need to switch the content from 75% sport to 75% transport.

I'm not sure I agree. If Top Gear was all about Ford Fiestas, VW Polos and Hyundai i20s, and the best technique for booking a ticket on National Express buses, I doubt it would get many viewers. Equally, while cycling for transport may be very worthy, it's not very sexy and is unlikely to inspire great TV. There's a place for it, and I think it actually gets a fair bit of coverage, but the interesting stuff that will get the enthusiasts tuning in is competitive, fast, skilful, unusual, and colourful.

AndyK

« Reply #178 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »
Don't watch it then.

I'm not sure I agree. If Top Gear was all about Ford Fiestas, VW Polos and Hyundai i20s, and the best technique for booking a ticket on National Express buses, I doubt it would get many viewers. Equally, while cycling for transport may be very worthy, it's not very sexy and is unlikely to inspire great TV. There's a place for it, and I think it actually gets a fair bit of coverage, but the interesting stuff that will get the enthusiasts tuning in is competitive, fast, skilful, unusual, and colourful.

Top Gear does not dedicate most of it's time to motor sport, it always talks about cars as transport first. The only mentions of 'sport' are in the lap times. If it took the format of the cycle show most of Top Gear would be about F1, RAC Rallies, and Touring Car Championships.

I have neighbours who are regular utility cyclists, but they have zero interest in cycle sport. When I mentioned  the cycle show to them their reply was almost exactly that, 'We don't race'. The over-emphasis on cycle sport is a massive turn off for the majority of cyclists, because they simply don't associate themselves with racing, road bikes, or lycra.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #179 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:46:49 pm »
I'm not sure how anyone could conclude that normal cycling gets 'a fair bit of coverage'. ???
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #180 on: 12 September, 2012, 03:34:14 pm »
How can anyone pretend that Top Gear, in any way shape or form, reflects anything but the fantasy end of motoring?
They only ever include "normal" cars as something to ridicule before they see  if the new Lamborghini can get to Nicaragua before James May riding a diamond-encrusted Elephant..

Having said that, "Fifth Gear" include more realistic, real world cars, in their reviews and, as a result, it's an even shittier show than Top Gear.

Who wants to watch a show about the new 800cc Kia Splodge (or whatever it may be)?

"Buying my first practical commuter" may be a decent start for the Cycle Show rather than "Which is the best £4000 road bike?". (I imagine they need to be careful not to upset anyone in the trade though, unlike Clarkson who gets paid more the more people he offends)

I really enjoyed parts of this week's show though.  Comparing the heart rate of House to the presenter (an ultra fit ultra-marathon runner and cyclist) was revealing.  130 vs 180bpm up Stelvio Pass.  That just shows the gulf in fitness between extremely fit people and extremely fit, Pro, people.

Above all it's a TV show about cycling.  Impossible to make everyone happy but trying it's hardest and not doing too bad.

It's a start

Maybe in 10 years you will be able to choose which cycling TV show you prefer watching.

TimC

« Reply #181 on: 12 September, 2012, 03:42:49 pm »
I'm not sure how anyone could conclude that normal cycling gets 'a fair bit of coverage'. ???

Well, it gets more than I'm interested in... :demon:

« Reply #182 on: 12 September, 2012, 03:44:35 pm »
The trouble with "Cycling as transport" is that it's a non-subject really. You just get on your bike and go to wherever you're going. That's it. The end. In fact, that's the beauty of it - its simplicity. It doesn't need a TV programme.

I appreciate that shows like this don't exist purely for my benefit, but I really don't need some knob telling me how to ride a bike from A to B. Whilst wearing a helmet no doubt.

I do on the other hand enjoy watching things like the Stelvio piece...

« Reply #183 on: 12 September, 2012, 04:25:21 pm »
The trouble with "Cycling as transport" is that it's a non-subject really. You just get on your bike and go to wherever you're going. That's it. The end. In fact, that's the beauty of it - its simplicity. It doesn't need a TV programme

I think many people who drive cars or use buses/trains getting  to work would be interested in the cycle vs. car vs. bus type challenge, but equally they might be put off if shown some of the helmet cam stuff posted here and elsewhere.
A piece on crap cycle lanes might be amusing and shame one or two councils though. Or showing how difficult it is to get your bike actually on a train on the commuter  lines.
They could do interviews asking why people actually  prefer to cycle to work in London , just to show that they are are normal human beings, not Olympic level athletes.

LEE

« Reply #184 on: 12 September, 2012, 04:36:56 pm »
The trouble with "Cycling as transport" is that it's a non-subject really. You just get on your bike and go to wherever you're going. That's it. The end. In fact, that's the beauty of it - its simplicity. It doesn't need a TV programme

I think many people who drive cars or use buses/trains getting  to work would be interested in the cycle vs. car vs. bus type challenge, but equally they might be put off if shown some of the helmet cam stuff posted here and elsewhere.
A piece on crap cycle lanes might be amusing and shame one or two councils though. Or showing how difficult it is to get your bike actually on a train on the commuter  lines.
They could do interviews asking why people actually  prefer to cycle to work in London , just to show that they are are normal human beings, not Olympic level athletes.

I think it's better not to show crap cycle lanes or how difficult things may be.

First, show some footage of how easy and cost efficient it is to cycle into London a couple of miles, get people commuting.
(How many short journeys, by bike, into the congestion charge zone, would it take to pay for a decent bike?)

Secondly, when many more people have invested in the commuting idea, rally them into demanding improvements.

Basically don't put people off.

I can't abide the "another cyclist has died" thread on YACF..I don't know what it's supposed to do other than make me more worried than I should be.  I find it a bit "Daily Mail".

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #185 on: 13 September, 2012, 01:01:35 am »

I think it's better not to show crap cycle lanes or how difficult things may be.

First, show some footage of how easy and cost efficient it is to cycle into London a couple of miles, get people commuting.
(How many short journeys, by bike, into the congestion charge zone, would it take to pay for a decent bike?)

Secondly, when many more people have invested in the commuting idea, rally them into demanding improvements.

I predict such a program would have very few viewers:
  • Your typical YACFer or regular cyclist will quickly get bored of it.
  • Why would a non-cyclist feel the urge to watch it in the first place?
I am nothing and should be everything

LEE

« Reply #186 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:16:31 am »

I predict such a program would have very few viewers:
  • Your typical YACFer or regular cyclist will quickly get bored of it.
  • Why would a non-cyclist feel the urge to watch it in the first place?

I totally agree.

I wasn't suggesting a format for a TV program, I was offering an alternative to the suggestion about televising poor cycle-lanes and poor public transport facilities, the depressing and off-putting side of cycling.

My previous posts are positive about the current show and it's format (in that it's hard to please everyone so they aren't doing a bad job at all).

PS.  Had Rob Hayles just come from an "all-nighter"?  He looked and sounded pissed.

AndyK

« Reply #187 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:40:11 am »
The trouble with "Cycling as transport" is that it's a non-subject really. You just get on your bike and go to wherever you're going. That's it. The end. In fact, that's the beauty of it - its simplicity. It doesn't need a TV programme.

I appreciate that shows like this don't exist purely for my benefit, but I really don't need some knob telling me how to ride a bike from A to B. Whilst wearing a helmet no doubt.

I do on the other hand enjoy watching things like the Stelvio piece...

There's plenty of room for discussion on normal bikes instead of the latest carbon-wonder road bikes or mountain bikes. There's room to show bicycles as a business option with cargo bikes, trailers, electric assist etc. and to do focus spots on businesses that do so. There's room for pieces about choices of ordinary upright bicycles, vintage style bicycles, how to ensure your bike isn't stolen, and yes, how to ride safely in town etc.

At the moment all those things are just brief asides to all the boring sport talk.

« Reply #188 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:47:04 am »
At the moment all those things are just brief asides to all the boring sport talk.

For you maybe, but not for everyone.

You say:

The over-emphasis on cycle sport is a massive turn off for the majority of cyclists, because they simply don't associate themselves with racing, road bikes, or lycra.

How do you know it is for "the majority" of cyclists? I wonder how many of the many thousands (if not millions) of people who watched the tour or the Olympic road race this summer actaully race? A very small percentage indeed I would guess. So "the majority" are interested in cycling as a sport.....

AndyK

« Reply #189 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:48:42 am »
Because I include everyone who rides a bicycle in the term 'cyclists', not just roadies.

« Reply #190 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:55:06 pm »
We're just coming through some exceptional times for UK pro road and track cycling.  The show started just after BW's TdF win.  Then there was the Olympics and Paralympics.  The programme couldn't and shouldn't have ignored them or treated them as asides.  I'm sure the sport/utility balance will shift a little.

Re: Cycle Show Mondays from 8th July on ITV4
« Reply #191 on: 08 July, 2013, 02:54:07 pm »
It's back tonight! Apparantly there's an Essex lanes feature with Alex Dowsett. Should be interesting (at least for the YACF Essex massive)  :)

red marley

« Reply #192 on: 09 July, 2013, 01:57:06 pm »
Does anyone know where the cafe stop on the Essex lanes feature was? The one with the cycling memorabilia.

« Reply #193 on: 09 July, 2013, 02:27:23 pm »
Does anyone know where the cafe stop on the Essex lanes feature was? The one with the cycling memorabilia.

It's the Knead Food Cafe at The Blue Egg near Great Bardfield.

Dowsett and Cavendish practically live in there!

It is a very good cafe BTW...

TimC

« Reply #194 on: 09 July, 2013, 02:36:45 pm »
It is indeed - I visited for the first time on Tomsk's Flitchbikes Audax. Damn fine cake! And bacon sarnies...

red marley

« Reply #195 on: 09 July, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »
Thanks. I must cycle within a km of it maybe ten times a year and didn't know of its existence. Will definitely make a visit next time I'm riding in that direction.

« Reply #196 on: 09 July, 2013, 08:56:20 pm »
It is indeed - I visited for the first time on Tomsk's Flitchbikes Audax. Damn fine cake! And bacon sarnies...
But the Flitchbikes event didn't go to Great Bardfield ???

TimC

« Reply #197 on: 10 July, 2013, 05:37:04 am »
The 50k BP did. As did Tomsk & lad. And me and my lad.

« Reply #198 on: 10 July, 2013, 07:46:25 am »
Doh! I never saw the route for that. Was it good? Nice area.

TimC

« Reply #199 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:14:17 am »
It was lovely! It's a beautiful area, and just outside our local range so mostly new roads to us.