Author Topic: Registering a Sportive as an audax  (Read 3087 times)

Re: Registering a Sportive as an audax
« Reply #25 on: 05 October, 2019, 04:59:40 pm »
How does the minimum speed of the Etape Caledonia compare? If it's higher than Audax, then you could salvage something from the day if you miss a medal.

« Reply #26 on: 05 October, 2019, 05:04:09 pm »
The event in question - which the asker has named elsewhere - is a relatively small open road sportive. Much more like a typical audax than a big closed road sportive.

??

He’s just speaking his branes.

« Reply #27 on: 05 October, 2019, 05:54:27 pm »
How does the minimum speed of the Etape Caledonia compare? If it's higher than Audax, then you could salvage something from the day if you miss a medal.

There isn't really a minimum speed. It's a bit like control closures at PBP. There is a rolling programme of opening the roads with a van following at that point. People who are overtaken by the van have an option to pack and get a lift back, or continue on their own - knowing they are now on open roads and support has been withdrawn. So it is more of an issue for the last starters than it is for earlier groups.

« Reply #28 on: 05 October, 2019, 06:04:52 pm »
The event in question - which the asker has named elsewhere - is a relatively small open road sportive. Much more like a typical audax than a big closed road sportive.

??

He’s just speaking his branes.

I suppose there wouldn't be real problem with crashing a relatively small open road sportive. Such an event would be much like an Audax. There are various events around here that have been run as Audaxes, and as Sportives.

There seems to be a point at which the 'private excursion' bit becomes unconvincing. An interesting point is whether the AUK insurance is valid if you're doing a DIY in a sportive when you're not entered in the sportive.

Anyway, as I said, I can't think of any pressing reason why AUK validation shouldn't be extended to organised events, if there's a demand for it.

I find the likes of 'Chase the Sun', intriguing.  https://www.chasethesun.org

There was a group at LEL 2017, some of them had done that as preparation. I encountered them at the 24, and asked if they were doing PBP. They said it was a mystifying faff to qualify.

« Reply #29 on: 05 October, 2019, 06:09:02 pm »

There isn't really a minimum speed. It's a bit like control closures at PBP. There is a rolling programme of opening the roads with a van following at that point. People who are overtaken by the van have an option to pack and get a lift back, or continue on their own - knowing they are now on open roads and support has been withdrawn. So it is more of an issue for the last starters than it is for earlier groups.

I got the impression it was 13mph from this 2011 blog. Perhaps it's changed.

So it was duly entered. But, did I read the small print back in November? When I get a new piece of I.T. kit, do I read the instructions? Well, no usually I don't And the small print for the Etape Caledonia said something like........
"...Cept you dont get ya medal....if you canna keep up with the speed'.
Oh, no, medals were just for proper cyclists who can average 13mph or more!!! 🙁 But it was November, and I didnt bother to read the small print so, off my hard earn't cash went. Tina not being one to be put off by a challenge threw her hat to the wind and entered it as well.

https://cycleseven.org/manxcat-cycling-for-her-life-at-the-etape-caledonia-2011

S2L

« Reply #30 on: 05 October, 2019, 07:03:53 pm »
I see the last issue of Arrivee came with a complimentary bag of weed...  ;D

« Reply #31 on: 05 October, 2019, 09:04:49 pm »

I got the impression it was 13mph from this 2011 blog. Perhaps it's changed.

You may be right - but that wasn't my recollection. My memory is of someone sticking a medal over my neck as soon as I crossed the line. Again I think if you were in an early group you would be likely to get one with a slow time, but if you were in the last group you might not. The last finisher on my spreadsheet was at 8 hours or 10.25mph. I've no idea if she got a medal or not. Everyone after that is listed as DNF.