Author Topic: Phew! Wot a scorcher.  (Read 7111 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Phew! Wot a scorcher.
« on: 12 May, 2008, 06:51:10 am »
The last two rides I've done have been hot days and I have really suffered.

I've not been able to get fluid in me quick enough and have been very dehydrated causing lack of energy, breathing problems, nausea, back and chest pains.

This also means I can't eat which just compounds the problem. Energy (Lucozade etc) drinks don't help.

Things get better when the sun sets and it feels like my body comes back on line.

I'm a fat lardy and I'm sure things would be easier if I was 2 stone lighter ( I am working on that, honest).

Any tips on keeping your cool?

H

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: Phew! Wot a scorcher.
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2008, 07:03:06 am »

I've got some off  the same problems Hummers  :'(

try dilute the energy drink more than recommended  by the supplier
and add a tiny amount of salt.
Drink a bottle before you leave, and try to drink 1 big  bottle/hour while riding.

I prefer to completely soak my cap, it will keep your head cooler for some time.

Oh and a long zipper in the jersey really helps, not just those 10 cm ones but
30 cm or all the way down, so the body can get some air.

I know it might not be a sight of beauty, but I don't care.

gus

Hummers

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2008, 07:24:54 am »

I know it might not be a sight of beauty, but I don't care.

gus

My approach completely  :thumbsup:

Let those moobs swing, baby.

H

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2008, 07:39:44 am »
To some degree isn't it simply a matter of acclimatisation?  In this country we get sudden changes in the weather which makes it hard for us.  A pair of gloves is sitting on my table where I put them only about 2 weeks ago.

If you are just going for  aride, ride earlier.  I used to live in a country where it was usual for the temperature to be 40-45C at noon, so club runs started at 7 am and were off the road not long after noon.  When I first rode there the last hour was murder, but I got used to it - the acclimatising thing.

What to wear - I agree with the damp cap making a lot of difference ,and for the same reason I would not encase my head in insulating expanded polystyrene.  Long zips on tops are also a boon, especially in mountains so you can just zip up for the descent.

Eating etc  I recall the summer 2 years ago.  On tour in day after day of almost 35C I was drinking about 6 litres of liquids each day (about 80 miles a day) and still suffering badly with the signs of dehydration.  The amazing thing was that I did not eat very much at all for the first 3 days because of the heat, yet I was still able to ride like that.  The body is truly amazing.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:04:13 am »
Sip an electrolyte like Nuun (no sugar, just salts) - if you just don't reach for the bottle enough, try a Camelbak and suck on that good rubbery teat.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
This is something I suffer from too, teaching in the sun all day long.  My answer is lots of drinking, I split my intake between plain water and SiS Go (electrolytes).  I also go wet my head at the water fountain every so often, which brings the most amazing relief.  Acclimatisation is also important, as is wearing lycra rather than normal clothes.

I can really see the difference in suffering between myself and my students on a hot day, even though they're there for only an hour or two, they're in much worse condition than I am.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:29:12 am »
Sip an electrolyte like Nuun (no sugar, just salts)

Second this. I suffered in exactly the same way as you. Never had similar problems since using Nuun or Zym tablets, even though I'm getting through the same amount of water.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:34:56 am »
Or if you don't want to spend a small fortune on fancy electrolyte tablets, you can use Boots/Sainsburys/Tesco own brand oral rehydration sachets (marketed for use after diarrhoea) or make your own:

Dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a litre of warm water.  Chill and add flavouring of your choice - I like freshly squeezed lime juice.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:40:31 am »
we should have a weight-loss-through-sweat challenge..   I feel your pain. 

For me, it's Nuun sipped every couple of minutes (and I get through a bottle per hour) and a buff, pulled down quite close to my eyebrows with the other end dangling near the nape of my neck.  I wear a hel**t which helps keep it on.

The sweat runs through the buff, keeping the top of my back wet which evaporates off and is lovely and cool. 

gonzo

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:57:19 am »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:31:16 am »
we should have a weight-loss-through-sweat challenge..   I feel your pain. 

Yesterday, within minutes of arriving home, I consumed 3 pints (1* London Pride, 2 * Robinsons Lemon Barley Water) then weighed myself. I was about 1kg lighter than I had been in the morning, almost 60 miles previously.

It being a CTC ride, there were 11ses, lunch and tea stops on the way round, as well as two empty drinks bottles to show for our efforts.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2008, 11:11:05 am »
Or if you don't want to spend a small fortune on fancy electrolyte tablets, you can use Boots/Sainsburys/Tesco own brand oral rehydration sachets (marketed for use after diarrhoea) or make your own:

Dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a litre of warm water.  Chill and add flavouring of your choice - I like freshly squeezed lime juice.

Fine for a short bimble where you only need 1.5litres of water and can prepare it in advance, but for Audaxes I'll gladly suffer the 2.50 UKP cost of half a pack of Nuun (makes 4.5 litres) for the convenience of just popping a tablet into a bidon of water which takes only a couple of seconds.

Yes you can carry a little sachet of sugar/salt mix, but that's still more faff than dropping a single tablet into a bidon.

P.S. Cotton cycling caps work well. They do seem to be making the problem worse at first (although you can pre-soak it), but once soaked with sweat the evaporation action helps keep you cooler, and the cap keeps the sweat away from your eyes. Works well on its own or under a Magic Hat of Protection +1 [-1].
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2008, 11:20:08 am »
As well as the wet cap, try the wet flannel.
Wipe face, neck arms and legs with wet flannel.
Repeat. Keep one bottle of tap water on bike for wetting flannel.
Consider wearing a cotton T-shirt and drenching this from time to time.
Don't forget sunscreen and midge repellent after wipe downs.

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:21:26 pm »
It's because of this weather that I prefer riding at night in the summer.

Regulator

« Reply #14 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:40:45 pm »

I thought it was because you were a troglodyte...

:P

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #15 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:51:32 pm »

Regulator

« Reply #16 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:53:34 pm »

;D

Great smiley!

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #17 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:58:05 pm »
My favourite treatment for overheating/dehydration is a pub stop and a pint, or sometimes two, of orange and soda.

A cotton cap is invaluable in very hot weather, though I have to take mine off occasionally to let the air to my flowing locks.

« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:58:51 pm »
Are the chest pains only when you are too hot?

Hummers

« Reply #19 on: 12 May, 2008, 04:31:15 pm »

Yep - and recent too.

H

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2008, 04:54:43 pm »
This is probably no help at all, but anyway...

Ride slowly. Wear big sun hat.

And today a couple of pints of Speckled Hen perked me up no end after about 35 miles.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »
Hummers
Concerned about the back and chest pains.  I had the same symptoms, especially the back pain which eventually led to a very large angina/mild heart attack event whilst cycling to the office one morning (what a way to go!).
I carried on riding gently after diagnosis (I'd been put on medication and awaiting an angiogram) and found on gentle inclines even on cool days that the extra effort caused the same back pains, kinda like cramp in one of the back muscles running along by the spine, this was the mild angina telling me to back-off!  I had previously had some minor chest pains but only minor and "Muscley" so I kinda ignored them.

I also have real difficulties shedding heat and I notice it really increases my heart rate, especially on hills.  Since I've had my Angioplasty I have to take it very easy under such circumstances.
I may be wide of the mark here, but it might be worth checking-out. 
The full "Filling Cabinet on the chest" feeling is no fun.

Take care, FF->.

« Reply #22 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:17:45 pm »

Yep - and recent too.

H

See Fab Foodie's reply as to my reason for asking...

I'd advise a GP visit in regard to the chest discomfort. It may well be musculo-skeletal or otherwise non-cardiac, but any chest pain or discomfort precipitated by exertion and relieved by rest, regardless of temperature, is definitely worth checking out to be on the safe side.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 13 May, 2008, 11:23:45 am »
I agree about chest pains. Get them seen to.

I had some a couple of summers ago, and noticed them on a hot day after riding a heavily-laden machine up Bread & Cheese Hill. I spent an afternoon in A & E and was tested for cardiac problems.

None was found and I put it all down to a pulled intercostal muscle. One encouraging remark from the cardiac nurse attending to me, just as I was being discharged, was "I thought you looked far too healthy to be a cardiac patient!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Hummers

« Reply #24 on: 13 May, 2008, 07:33:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies and concerns over chest/back pain.

The back pain is in the lower/mid back and I have assumed it was my kidneys. I was really dehydrated and when I was cooler, all problems seem to go and my form returned.

The pain in my chest was in the middle was more of a dull ache. I assumed this was also down to the heat.

I will keep an eye on things though.

H