Author Topic: Back pain when climbing  (Read 2141 times)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
Back pain when climbing
« on: 30 June, 2008, 02:10:19 pm »
Having done a number of extremely hilly events recently (some with climbs in the 30% range), one of the performance restrictive issues I've experienced is severe lower back pain, to the point where it becomes impossible to put a suitable level of effort in (rather than being tired, out of breath or bonking).  It's very frustrating.

My question is two-fold:

(A) Is it worth getting a proper bike fit done to ensure my position on the bike is correct?  It seems obvious I guess but some people I know have had it done are a little sceptical, and the cost of going to Cyclefit (inc. train fare) is a little on the high side

(B) Are there any back/core stability exercises anyone could recommend that could perhaps help?

I'd really like to get this sorted since it's putting me off riding hilly events and for some unknown reason I actually like climbing!

Any advice on the above would be gratefully received...Ta very much!
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Re: Back pain when climbing
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:13:10 pm »
Lower gears help. Core body exercises help. A more upright position might help.

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:16:57 pm »
I was bought a cyclefit session by Mrs Mike as a birthday present and it wasnt worth the money, IMHO.  It didnt tell me anything a mate riding beside me / bloke in the LBS / looking at my reflection in a shop window could fix.  Perhaps if I was racing or time trialling they could help me squeeze the last 2% performance out but as a fat bloke on a bike, I didnt really get much out of it.

(and the orthotic shoe inserts they made for me have never been as comfy as the standard BG ones which came with the Specialized shoes)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:24:30 pm »
Is the problem only when climbing out of the saddle?

in which case it's probably not really a setup issue (unless your back is already sore from miles IN the saddle, and the tough climbing is just the final straw).
Can you climb a very steep hill at the beginning of the day?

you may (god forbid) actually have A Back Problem. I dread this, so shall pray for you tonight. I think money spent with a physio/chiro would be well spent.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:30:08 pm »
I was thinking about switching my stem over to have a more upright position, it's flat at the moment, but thought it was already fairly upright.  Might be worth a try though, but unfortunately need to change the cables since the outers are too short to allow the move.

Gearing, a very good point.  I did have a compact with lowest gear of 34x27 but to be honest, I wasn't exactly "spinning" on the climbs even then...perhaps a triple is worth considering for these climbs?  What kind of weight disadvantage are triples?

Mike, I've heard of lot of these kinds of stories, one friend specifically said that their literature made it sound scientific but it was so far from this as to be more a case of trial and error and the advised position actually ended up causing more problems.  But then I've also spoken to people who have said it was fabulous and it has helped them generate more power and comfort, as opposed to worrying about aerodynamics...

Matt, no it is only when climbing in the saddle, climbing out of the saddle actually helps alleviate it, but unfortunately I'm usually that tired that getting out of the saddle can only last a couple of seconds!  I climbed the Penbarras in North Wales yesterday which I believe has a bit at 30% and never got out of the saddle - maybe this is technique that is putting too much pressure on my back?  I very rarely get out of the saddle - I used to a lot when I was road racing - but for some reason I don't anymore - no idea why!

I don't suffer with back pains under any other circumstances, so I too pray I don't have anything more serious.  More a case of being fat, inflexible, lacking gears and generally unfit (never thought I'd hope to be that :P)
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Really Ancien

« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:42:30 pm »
Having done a number of extremely hilly events recently (some with climbs in the 30% range), one of the performance restrictive issues I've experienced is severe lower back pain, to the point where it becomes impossible to put a suitable level of effort in (rather than being tired, out of breath or bonking).  It's very frustrating.

This sounds like an adaptation issue, any sudden increase in use is going to generate muscular pain. Keep riding but don't suddenly increase the load until you have trained yourself up.

Damon.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:43:08 pm »
Matt, no it is only when climbing in the saddle, climbing out of the saddle actually helps alleviate it, but unfortunately I'm usually that tired that getting out of the saddle can only last a couple of seconds!
okey-doke. I'm a big believer that climbing in the saddle at very low revs is a Bad Thing. I know it costs slightly more energy overall to get out of the saddle, but I think "honking" slowly puts less strain on the joints than grinding up seated.

Until you reach ludicrous gradients, climbing out of the saddle is bio-mechanically much like climbing stairs - a fairly "natural" movement.

Gearing, a very good point.  I did have a compact with lowest gear of 34x27 but to be honest, I wasn't exactly "spinning" on the climbs even then...perhaps a triple is worth considering for these climbs?  What kind of weight disadvantage are triples?

Lower gears will certainly reduce the strains when seated, but it's impossible to say just how low you'll need - depends on the terrain and your fitness!
(I'm pretty slow, and find 28x26 gets me up most, but nowhere near all english climbs in the saddle.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:08:09 pm »
Trust me - I am a doctor.

This pain has two likely causes - one that you have a back problem, often caused by presssure on the lower discs which degenerate with age and misuse. If so - time to think about rest or recumbents etc.

Alternatively this is classic cyclist hamstring overuse which extends up into lower back and causes spasm, pain etc. This can be fixed with stretches and core work to condition stomach and lower back.

You may get some relief by striking yourself - or getting a friend to strike you - repeatedly in the kidney region. After a vigorous massage of this type You will pass the excess blood and thus ease the pressure buidup around the spional vertebrae.

« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:09:42 pm »
so Tiger you saying he needs  a good kicking ?

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
« Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2008, 04:03:12 pm »
Thanks guys for all the comments and advice, lots of food for thought.

Don't like the idea of having a "good kicking" though, can I pass? :P

Perhaps I need to revise my climbing style as well.  I certainly always used to tackle steeper climbs out of the saddle but recently (probably due to a lack of fitness) I've tended to stay seated no matter what and come to think of it I have noticed more problems since.

I was thinking about sorting out a sports massage and to ask them to do my back, so maybe that would be a good idea.

Also thinking about starting yoga or pilates to work on core stability.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:40:15 am »
I too get lower back pain on rides that are hillier than normal or are longer than normal or both. I put this down to lack of lower back strength.

My cure - ride more long and hilly rides until the pain stops.
Owner of a languishing Langster