Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1608599 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1450 on: 05 March, 2012, 11:14:27 am »
Work - First you asked me to go to Mumbai for 6-8 months (initially 3-4 months till I asked what I was to be doing). I started to plan for this and prepared to stand down from various roles at church etc.

Then the indian corporate tax implications of providing accomodation became clear so you changed to frequent short visits e.g. 2 weeks there 4 weeks home. Not great but the project is interesting and fabulous experience so I was willing to do it.

Now this morning I am told that on Thursday my role was removed from the hours proposal to improve the cost efficiency.

The only reason this isn't in the rant thread is that I didn't really want to do option 2.

« Reply #1451 on: 05 March, 2012, 06:45:42 pm »
royal mail you useless bunch of ******* !. satmap sent my repaired unit back and it was not delivered on the 22nd march as there was no one in so we left a card .NO YOU DID NOT  >:( :(. tomorrrow i will be paying a visit to your collection center . be afraid , very afraid  >:(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1452 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:51:42 pm »
No he isn't gonna buy that Defy 1 you avaricious prat. Its 9:30 in the morning and he has a day off work to go window shopping for his summer bike. Two customers in front of me (one with two trailing suitcases)  have become fed up and leave. The can of lube I wanted is placed back on shelf and I leave as I am late for a meeting. You have just killed off 3 actual and potentially repeat customers.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1453 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:06:40 pm »
I still don't have my YACF T-shirt  :'(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #1454 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:50:11 pm »
I've just had to spend a day and a half turning bits of the network on and off, ploughing through piles of log data from the server and router, two long sessions on the phone with the (outstandingly helpful) tech support at A&A and why? Because some idiot has been using my ADSL modem's WAN address as part of an amplified DNS attack. 5.6K DNS packets to port 80 on the WAN address that were then sent to A&A's DNS servers and then back to my modem eating my bandwidth and costing me money >:(  Took ages to track this down, now firewalled out.
Not a full rant because i did actually learn some stuff sorting it out and the network is a little more secure than it was.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1455 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:52:21 pm »
I've just had to take my first day off work ever, because of this silly bug. To add to it the sun's out and I can't go out on the bike either :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1456 on: 06 March, 2012, 07:00:40 pm »
First fairy visit on my Marathon Plus rear tyre on the ride home tonight: there's a small cut in the sidewall that goes all the way through.  No idea how it happened.  Swapped tube and got home, but the tyre's going to need replaced.

But here's my grumble:
It was the first time I'd used my shiny new Lezene mini-pump.  It has a flexi-tube to connect it to the valve, which screws onto the valve and has a nice 'O' ring to seal it.   Similar to days of old with frame-pumps and their little fabric-covered flexy tubes onto yer grandpas old woods valve.

When I came to un-screw the hose from the valve, the o-ring friction on the valve core caused it to unscrew along with the hose, out of the body.  Instant deflation.   I was not able to nip the valve core in with sufficient tightness to remain put as I removed the hose!   I had no nip-nip type deivce on my multi-tool.  I was this >< close to removing the tube from the tyre again to use my teeth as pliers when finally I got it to stay put on the 3rd or 4th attempt.

Upon inspection, all the spare tubes I have are the same: the valve core is finger-tight.   I will be putting a dab of Lock-Tite threadlock on them.

This is not an issue for push-fit type pumps, obviously.

« Reply #1457 on: 06 March, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »
Bah, not only do I have my sixth or seventh cold of this winter but I have pulled a muscle up under my shoulder blade and everytime I cough, sneeze or try to take a deep breath it hurts.

Not even sure how I did the shoulder, I think I just slept funny.  :facepalm:

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1458 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:56:49 pm »
St Nicks is the venue for a play this week. We were all asked if we'd like to volunteer as stewards and keyholders, and I said I'd do tomorrow night. We get to see the play free.

Having heard bits of the final rehearsal tonight as I did the cleaning, I'm not sure seeing it free is a bonus. It appears to be lots of silences interspersed with shouting.

Ho Hum. I'll take a book.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #1459 on: 07 March, 2012, 09:34:45 am »
OK I know you are all on diets, weightwatchers, not eating biscuits, 'being good'. But STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. Please.

I don't care how many 'points' are in this chocolate biscuit. I am still going to eat it, even though I have four people staring at it hungrily while I do so. And looking at the calorie count on the packet and tutting. 'Ooh I couldn't eat that it's three points.'

Apparently my suggestion for weight loss (which was, 'cycle to work, then you can eat what you want') was dismissed as 'that's such a male response' WTF? And it's a LOGICAL response! Much more logical than a diet that makes you think about food ALL THE TIME. I don't normally think about food at all, I have no 'emotional relationship' witb it, but they are MAKING me look at chocolate and think, ooooh lots of calories STOP IT!! You need food to keep you alive and life is too short and too full of crapola to be spent eating dry Ryvita when cheese is available.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1461 on: 07 March, 2012, 09:48:50 am »
Am I the only one that sees the thread title and thinks "NSFW"?

O:-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1462 on: 07 March, 2012, 10:02:33 am »
OK I know you are all on diets, weightwatchers, not eating biscuits, 'being good'. But STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. Please.

I don't care how many 'points' are in this chocolate biscuit. I am still going to eat it, even though I have four people staring at it hungrily while I do so. And looking at the calorie count on the packet and tutting. 'Ooh I couldn't eat that it's three points.'

Apparently my suggestion for weight loss (which was, 'cycle to work, then you can eat what you want') was dismissed as 'that's such a male response' WTF? And it's a LOGICAL response! Much more logical than a diet that makes you think about food ALL THE TIME. I don't normally think about food at all, I have no 'emotional relationship' witb it, but they are MAKING me look at chocolate and think, ooooh lots of calories STOP IT!! You need food to keep you alive and life is too short and too full of crapola to be spent eating dry Ryvita when cheese is available.
I did that rant out loud a few months ago when we were planning an office chippy lunch and one of my colleagues said "ooooh no I can't have chips, I'm on a diet but I'll give you a lift to the chip shop if you like."

The chip shop is, at most, quarter of a mile away. I suggested walking to the chippy and back might cancel out the effect of the chips but I don't think it was really understood.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1463 on: 07 March, 2012, 11:18:52 am »

My colleague who sits next to me is on a diet. As in tons of exercise, hardly eating anything to lose lots of weight quickly diet, rather than a lifestyle change, which is my preferred route.
The other day I took a mini egg out of a proferred bag. Just as I was popping it into my mouth she'd already made it to the internets and shouted out "15 calories!".  I could have cheerfully thumped her. Especially as if I'd done that to her I'd have got a right earful about it.
I've got a good mind to shout "15 days!" or something every time she goes for a secret fag. But I'm not that evil.
Except in my head.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1464 on: 07 March, 2012, 11:22:14 am »
Am I the only one that sees the thread title and thinks "NSFW"?

O:-)
No ;)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1465 on: 07 March, 2012, 03:40:42 pm »
But here's my grumble:
It was the first time I'd used my shiny new Lezene mini-pump.  It has a flexi-tube to connect it to the valve, which screws onto the valve and has a nice 'O' ring to seal it.   Similar to days of old with frame-pumps and their little fabric-covered flexy tubes onto yer grandpas old woods valve.

When I came to un-screw the hose from the valve, the o-ring friction on the valve core caused it to unscrew along with the hose, out of the body.  Instant deflation.   I was not able to nip the valve core in with sufficient tightness to remain put as I removed the hose!   I had no nip-nip type deivce on my multi-tool.  I was this >< close to removing the tube from the tyre again to use my teeth as pliers when finally I got it to stay put on the 3rd or 4th attempt.

Upon inspection, all the spare tubes I have are the same: the valve core is finger-tight.   I will be putting a dab of Lock-Tite threadlock on them.

This is not an issue for push-fit type pumps, obviously.

I think I have the same pump (Lezyne pressure drive).  It's a fantastic little pump that stops me bending the valves and eventually snapping the little buggers.

I also have EXACTLY the same problem with tubes. I use continental tubes - actually, I USED to use contis.  After the having an episode of having this happen twice outside work and needing a lift home I started getting other tubes, which have all been fine.  The old contis have been 'fixed' by screwing them back in and nipping them in with a valve tool, but I can't trust myself to remember to do that with every new tub I buy.  What make were your tubes, so I know to avoid them?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1466 on: 07 March, 2012, 06:05:48 pm »

Our lot have all fallen off their wagons and are all bemoaning it and moaning.  "I can't eat $nice-thing" yet drink 2-5 bottles of wine a week and can't see the calories in that. "Oh you're so lucky you don't have to diet" could perhaps be "I walk to work every day and I try not to eat pointless amounts of crap e.g entire tubs of icecream, packets of biscuit or bottles of wine all at once".

I am getting to the point of stabbing one senior colleague for constantly criticising what I eat which is no worse and better than some people's lunch (as in I actually eat anything) but somehow I'm norty child who needs to be told my food isn't healthy cos it's a can o baked beans.  If I eat a spud with it, it magically becomes healthy.  Fuckers.

« Reply #1467 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »
Got absolutely pwt today. I seem to have an uncanny knack in cycling between cloud bursts. We are talking suited and booted here.  :P
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
« Reply #1468 on: 07 March, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »
Wind. Please to be making your mind up!
Last evening, full on headwind. O.K. thinks I, with luck there will be a tail in the morning.
No, its turned 180 degrees. Ho hum thinks I, if it keeps up I'll get a tail this evening. But no, its just as strong, but back round the other way.
Grrrrrr.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1469 on: 08 March, 2012, 12:02:21 am »
They've changed the bloody Exultet as well. It took me ages to learn the old one last year, and now I'm going to have to do it all over again :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

essexian

« Reply #1470 on: 08 March, 2012, 07:33:28 am »
Can someone please send me a link to a website I can order a new body from: I am fed up with this one!

I have had a "funny" chest pain since last November....its not my heart, tyroid or lungs so the doctor has no real idea what to do next; last week I had the flu and still feel crap and snotty, and now I have put my back out AGAIN.

This getting old isn't funny. I want a new body (Shimano perferred....)

barakta

« Reply #1471 on: 08 March, 2012, 08:54:45 am »
While I am appreciative that the rather disgusting lungs seem to have improved overnight.

I am much much less appreciative of the severe nausea which woke me up 30 mins before my alarm and hasn't gone away yet.  I can't tell what's causing it but it's making me feel really quite horrid.

Carefully eating something and seeing if I feel well enough to make it into work.

barakta

« Reply #1472 on: 08 March, 2012, 10:12:19 am »
That'll be a no to work then, started feeling shitty about 20 mins after sitting upright and that was before any 'audio' or walking around.  Have emailed in sick, taken lots of drugs, will sit upright to drain my face then go back to bed for a bit.

Hopefully will be well enough for tomorrows students - I had no studes booked today, but annoying evil hearingwise meetings and of course the fucking TODO of hugeness won't get any shorter. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1473 on: 08 March, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »
The New New Street Station Molishing Team
New Street Station
Birmingham
B2

Dear The Molishing Team

I have noticed of late that most of your molishing is currently being carried out to the external area of the NW corner of the station.  It is good to see the progress being made here.  Only yesterday from my window, I noticed that a large crane was brought in to lift a large random object, put it down in a place that looked suitable for having things put down in, and then later in the day pick it up again and put it back where it had been earlier.  Wonderful stuff.  Keep it up!
However, on my lunchtime walk today, I noticed that there are areas much further away from here where molishing, although yet incomplete, seems to have come to a halt.
Might I suggest that some members of your team could be more effectively employed over there?  I would suggest, and hope, that you might agree that it would be a good idea to send over Head of ‘itting Fings Wiv a ‘ammer.  I’ve checked and there is ample evidence of fings that could be ‘it over there.  Also the Pointlessly picking up Scaff Poles and then Noisily Throwing Them Down Again Team ought to be very useful in this other location.

Yours etc
The Bloke with a bloody headache by the window.

PS.  I’m not the bloke who occasionally shouts out of the 4th floor window “Get on with it, you bastards.  Where’s my new bloody station?”
No – That’s just someone who looks like me.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1474 on: 08 March, 2012, 02:34:03 pm »
*has coughing fit*   :D