Author Topic: Off motorway stop offs?  (Read 1430 times)

Off motorway stop offs?
« on: 14 July, 2021, 08:02:44 am »
Looking for off-motorway stop offs on the M6. I am taking a long trip to Scotland and looking to break the journey.
Tebay services is of course excellent, but looking for somewhere a bit south of that.
Looking for a unction I can turn off at and find somewhere for a nice lunch and maybe some decently priced fuel.

I know there are books on stop-offs like that but I'm too damned mean to shell out.

Re: Off motorway stop offs?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2021, 08:35:22 am »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2021, 11:07:08 am »
National Trust places are popular, but not really any cheaper than a MSA.  Avoids the plastic tables and baseball-hatted yobs, I suppose.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2021, 11:15:45 am »
There's also the "nextjunction" app, and also https://www.justoffjunction.co.uk/

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2021, 12:57:35 pm »
The in car satnav I had in my Toyota was very good at highlighting all the petrol stations at junctions other than MSAs and thus provided good starting points for finding better places to eat. I can’t understand why the Tom-Tom I now use does not offer the same level of detail, especially as it caters for a much larger userbase than the Toyota units do. Mind ewe, I,don’t think the savings from not using MSA add up sufficiently to justify the excessive expense of the built in units.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2021, 01:38:07 pm »
The in car satnav I had in my Toyota was very good at highlighting all the petrol stations at junctions other than MSAs and thus provided good starting points for finding better places to eat. I can’t understand why the Tom-Tom I now use does not offer the same level of detail, especially as it caters for a much larger userbase than the Toyota units do. Mind ewe, I,don’t think the savings from not using MSA add up sufficiently to justify the excessive expense of the built in units.

You can get lots of custom POIU overlays from https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65033

« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2021, 03:38:44 pm »
Rather than tebay you could try Melmerby.
Also at the Windermere turn off about a mile up the road is a superb farm shop. It is on dual carriageway so means 1.5 miles up to roundabout to come back. Watch the cows being milked. Home made food and a lovely deli. It is our obligatory stop on the way north to lakes or beyond.

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2021, 08:01:28 pm »
Tebay services junction 38 M6 are supposed to be a bit special with locally produced produce etc. Family run.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2021, 08:35:49 pm »
Read somewhere that Shell and BP filling stations have been limiting visits to 15 mins. £60 if you go over.

Check the t&cs
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:16:40 pm »
Tebay services junction 38 M6 are supposed to be a bit special with locally produced produce etc. Family run.

No question about that - the service areas at Gloucester on the M5 are the same outfit as Tebay - and they're even better than Tebay (check out the sausage rolls  :thumbsup:)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:19:14 pm »
Also at the Windermere turn off about a mile up the road is a superb farm shop. It is on dual carriageway so means 1.5 miles up to roundabout to come back. Watch the cows being milked. Home made food and a lovely deli. It is our obligatory stop on the way north to lakes or beyond.

I assume you mean the bakery at Melmerby? - I've fortified myself there several times before the ascent of Hartside Pass (both on a bike and in a car) - excellent.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 15 July, 2021, 01:06:09 am »

I assume you mean the bakery at Melmerby? - I've fortified myself there several times before the ascent of Hartside Pass (both on a bike and in a car) - excellent.

+1.  Though if you approach it from the descent of Hartside you have to trade kinetic energy for CAEK from ~45 mph chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2021, 08:58:52 am »

No question about that - the service areas at Gloucester on the M5 are the same outfit as Tebay - and they're even better than Tebay (check out the sausage rolls  :thumbsup:)
I can second Rob's recommendation for Gloucester services. Definitely not your average UK motorway stop.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 15 July, 2021, 09:01:42 am »

Stop telling people! Last month I had to queue there in the concourse for breakfast at 7:15.

It’s the end of days!
It is simpler than it looks.