Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143938 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #175 on: 07 July, 2012, 10:36:51 am »
Wolverine?

« Reply #176 on: 07 July, 2012, 10:39:25 am »
Wolverine?
Brad's got the sideburns but not the claws!

« Reply #177 on: 07 July, 2012, 12:50:04 pm »
Sweary Wiggo:

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=45352846&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=45352846&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>
Working my way up to inferior.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #178 on: 07 July, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »
Well played Wiggo. Not my choice of words but I entirely empathise with his emotions.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #179 on: 07 July, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »
Sc**w you Cuddles!  ;D

<edit>  Looks like Froome is KOTM too! Wooop!

« Reply #180 on: 07 July, 2012, 04:22:20 pm »
How many times are they going to mention Froome is Kenyan?!

David Martin

« Reply #181 on: 07 July, 2012, 04:29:07 pm »
Oh my goodness.. That was a hard lesson from Sky for the pretenders. We now know who the real contenders are..

Perfect day

« Reply #182 on: 07 July, 2012, 04:51:17 pm »
How many times are they going to mention Froome is Kenyan?!

Sherwen lives in Uganda where he co-owns a goldmine, so is African  ;)  I'm surprised he didn't spout Swahili, which he speaks fluently.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #183 on: 07 July, 2012, 04:58:44 pm »
Bloody hellfire, I can see why some people make allusions to US Postal, Sky blew the peloton to pieces.  :o
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #184 on: 07 July, 2012, 05:24:56 pm »
My son-inllaw was watching the Tour on the television this afternoon.

I understand that Bradley Wiggins is the inspiration for my grand-daughter to get on her Isla balance bike we bought her for her birthday a week or two ago, and learn to ride it!  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

« Reply #185 on: 07 July, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »
If he wins the tour, how long before it is Sir Bradley of Kiburn...?

LEE

« Reply #186 on: 07 July, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »
Very telling stage.

Cadel Evans, more suited to a short & steep finish (apparently) was blown away by Froome and didn't manage to shake off Wiggo.

Meanwhile his support was dropping like flies.

Nibali meanwhile couldn't take the pace and fell off the back in the final surge to the line.

I can't wait to see how SKY approach the really long climbs.  Will they just keep turning the screws all the way to the top I wonder?

It's way too early to be sure but I sensed that the effort from SKY today really took its toll on Evans, his final sprint seemed like the sprint of a man who left 90% on the climb.

How much time did Froome lose to his puncture?  He's in 9th place , I assume people would be talking about him as a contender otherwise (he's only one successful break-away away from closing the gap as it is)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #187 on: 07 July, 2012, 07:09:56 pm »
According to ITV4 Froome attacked on a 20% section of the  hill :o
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LEE

« Reply #188 on: 07 July, 2012, 07:11:20 pm »
According to ITV4 Froome attacked on a 20% section of the  hill :o

Yes, that's where I like to save my attacks for

(mainly because I don't know any 20% climbs around here)

« Reply #189 on: 07 July, 2012, 07:13:31 pm »
The bestest, happiest, classiest has to be Eros Poli's celebration of his unlikely win on the stage over Ventoux. Watch it at about 5min, and don't miss the nonchalant toss of his cap into the crowd.  :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RxTnLaH3gVA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RxTnLaH3gVA&rel=1</a>
I remember that. IIRC he was about 20 minutes ahead at the foot of the climb, & lost 17 minutes of it by the top. But did he care? He was expecting to be caught on the way up. Damn good sprinter, but he'd only gone off the front because he was such a bad climber he wanted to build up a big lead to be safe from failing to make the cut - and that was why nobody chased him for a long time. They took it for granted they'd take him on the climb, until it was too late. He was looking over his shoulder for the chasers from about half-way up, & I don't think he really believed he'd reach the top first until he was almost there.

I really, really enjoyed that. Perhaps the most unexpected stage win ever, & one of the most popular.

He wasn't so much a sprinter as a lead-out man, he was part of the 100km  time trial Gold medal wining team in the 1984 Olympics and won the amateur worlds TTT in 1987, those were the days of 'shamateurism' and the Italians were masters of it. He therefore turned pro late in his career. On the stage he won, a young rider staged a break on a hot day when it was agreed that they'd have a day off, which happens between the two mountain ranges. Eros was annoyed and chased him down to prove a point, then he just kept going with a tailwind. He always wore a cap with the top cut out, so as not to endanger his locks, the belief being that wearing a cap, let alone a helmet, makes you go bald.
IIRC he was Cipo's lead-out man for a while.

I've always thought that to be a top lead-out man you have to be a good sprinter, just not quite good enough to be the man being led out. A lead-out man should ideally be as fast & skilful as his principal, but a bit more cautious - and that caution would mean he wouldn't quite be as good at getting over the line first in a sprint.

Nice to see Wiggins in yellow, BTW.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

rr

« Reply #190 on: 07 July, 2012, 07:32:22 pm »
Evans seemed to be sprinting all in and Wiggins well within his comfort zone.

« Reply #191 on: 07 July, 2012, 08:18:35 pm »
Wow, Team Sky turn on the pain  :o
Did I hear right that hill was 15% average  :o

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #192 on: 07 July, 2012, 09:24:17 pm »

I can't wait to see how SKY approach the really long climbs.  Will they just keep turning the screws all the way to the top I wonder?

a la Indurain

« Reply #193 on: 07 July, 2012, 09:35:22 pm »
What a stage!  Well done sky!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #194 on: 07 July, 2012, 09:38:56 pm »
Really pleased to see Froome take the stage and the polka dot, hope he's still wearing it in Paris.

Looking good for Sky.
Aero but not dynamic

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #195 on: 07 July, 2012, 09:43:57 pm »
I'd like to think that Wiggo was content for Sky to end the stage with a rider in yellow & another rider with the stage win plus another shirt wearer in the team rather than himself steal all the thunder.

This is the sort of English sporting success that should be banner headlines on the sports pages of tommorow's newspapers.

Jakob

« Reply #196 on: 07 July, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »
Ok, I used to think that Sagan was a twat, but I take it back..this is how he crossed the line today:
http://twitter.com/velochimp/status/221627232592998405/photo/1

« Reply #197 on: 07 July, 2012, 11:13:18 pm »
How much time did Froome lose to his puncture?
1:25. 

« Reply #198 on: 07 July, 2012, 11:25:51 pm »
I'd like to think that Wiggo was content for Sky to end the stage with a rider in yellow & another rider with the stage win plus another shirt wearer in the team rather than himself steal all the thunder.

This is the sort of English sporting success that should be banner headlines on the sports pages of tommorow's newspapers.

unfortunately it will be overwhelmed by the tennis

David Martin

« Reply #199 on: 07 July, 2012, 11:45:43 pm »

unfortunately it will be overwhelmed by the tennis

That won't be an English sporting success...

Sagan's wheelie is reminiscent of Robbie McEwen from a few years back.