Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143929 times)

Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #475 on: 13 July, 2012, 10:33:45 am »
Well there were big breaks on climbs back in the 60s and before when non of the drugs actually worked (other than phonologically).

Amphetamine can "pep you up", even in the 60s.

It keeps you awake and makes you feel energized but it doesn't actually let you develop any more power. The most it can do is give you more will power to keep pushing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

« Reply #476 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:03:36 am »
Well there were big breaks on climbs back in the 60s and before when non of the drugs actually worked (other than phonologically).

It keeps you awake and makes you feel energized but it doesn't actually let you develop any more power. The most it can do is give you more will power to keep pushing.

Where can I get some?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #477 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:06:22 am »
I see Cancellara has retired because his wife's about to give birth. Good for him I say, but is that all there is to it? After all, it's hardly unpredictable, so if he knew he was only going to ride the first ten or so stages, why start and take a place in the team away from someone who could ride the whole Tour?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #478 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:11:19 am »

A lot of what cycling at this level is about is having the willpower to keep pushing your body to perform when your muscles are begging you to stop. Artificial stimulants can help with that to the point where it becomes dangerous - Tom Simpson basically rode himself to death because he was so pepped up on speed and booze.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #479 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:13:35 am »
I see Cancellara has retired because his wife's about to give birth. Good for him I say, but is that all there is to it? After all, it's hardly unpredictable, so if he knew he was only going to ride the first ten or so stages, why start and take a place in the team away from someone who could ride the whole Tour?

Given that he's got what is so far RadioTrek's only stage win, I doubt anyone is complaining.

citoyen

« Reply #480 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:14:26 am »

Winning the prologue and wearing the yellow jersey for the first few days would have been worth an awful lot to the team and its sponsors. Ten days of Cancellara > 21 days of Schleck.

Presumably the plan was to win the first individual TT as well, but Sky put the kibosh on that.

Edit: crossposted with Mr B.

d.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #481 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:15:48 am »
True, that all makes sense. And I guess most - all? - teams lose one or two members over the course of three weeks due to injury, time limits, and whatever.

citoyen

« Reply #482 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:16:54 am »
Also remember Cipollini who never went to the Tour with the intention of finishing it, only of winning as many stages as possible in the first week then retiring to the beach as soon as the race hit the first proper hill.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #483 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:17:39 am »
True, that all makes sense. And I guess most - all? - teams lose one or two members over the course of three weeks due to injury, time limits, and whatever.

Yes, except Liquigas, who I vaguely recall have some kind of record for finishing grand tours with the whole team intact.

d.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #484 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:19:09 am »
Do they? That's impressive. And Nibali (however his name is pronounced!) is turning out to be at least as much of a challenger as Evans. So far at least (and more fun to watch IMO).

citoyen

« Reply #485 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:24:19 am »
Here you go:

in the past 12 Grand Tours (Giro, Tour and Vuelta) the team has always started and finished the race with all its men.
http://www.teamliquigascannondale.com/2012/eng/main.php?mod=palmares

Don't know if that's actually a record but it's certainly unusual.

d.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #486 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:26:40 am »
 :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #487 on: 13 July, 2012, 12:14:27 pm »

I can point you in the right direction but, that might be considered entrapment ;)

Where can I get some?

« Reply #488 on: 13 July, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »
That's an amazing stat about Liquigas.  All those potential crashes, illnesses, cut-off times, demotivated riders and badly-timed pregnancies avoided.

There are still 9 teams with their full complements.  Rabobank are down to their last 4, Lampre and Vacansoleil down to 5 each.

citoyen

« Reply #489 on: 13 July, 2012, 12:51:08 pm »
I'm tempted to scoot up to Look Mum, No Hands for lunch. Anyone want to join me?

« Reply #490 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:01:46 pm »
Just now, 30km to go, the peleton going over a bridge with a massive tailback on the motorway below with people slowing down to catch a glimpse.

citoyen

« Reply #491 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:11:28 pm »
I'm tempted to scoot up to Look Mum, No Hands for lunch.

Well, I did, and very nice it was too. Could happily have stayed there all afternoon...

Bit of a last minute whim but I may well do the same again next Friday if anyone's interested in joining me for a bit of Tour watching over a beer.

d.

Tour de France 2012
« Reply #492 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »
I notice 2 things about the speed of the stage yesterday.

Rolland would have had to wait for the finish control to open at the top of La Toussuire and in the Etape du Tour the fastest finisher missed the TdF time limit by 15 minutes.

« Reply #493 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »
I'm a complete ingénue on this sort of stuff, so please forgive me for anything I say which is stating the bleeding obvious or has already been posted.

It looks to me like Sky have got the numbers for everything; how much power each of their riders can put out, and for how long. Combine that with the knowledge of the gradient on each climb and the power output required to get up it, and they can plan precisely who goes on the front and for how far and at what pace such that the desired number of riders reach the finish line as fast as possible having expended their last calorie of available energy (whilst leaving some in the tank for tomorrow).

Knowing all that they ride the race at their pre-determined pace secure in the knowledge that anyone who attacks will be reeled in having burnt too much energy to recover fully.  As long as everyone in the team toes the party line, they get a result. Until, of course, the unexpected happens ...

Very very methodical. Very Brailsford.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #494 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:50:50 pm »
Very shrewd riding from Millar. Nice one  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #495 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:51:48 pm »
British D***s-c***t wins!

Exciting finish, great stuff.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #496 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:55:06 pm »
Blimey!   :thumbsup:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #497 on: 13 July, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »
Excellent! I'm really pleased for him.

citoyen

« Reply #498 on: 13 July, 2012, 04:11:38 pm »
Four British stage winners on a single Tour. British World Champion. British yellow jersey. Unbelievable.

d.

« Reply #499 on: 13 July, 2012, 04:34:04 pm »
Good times!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly