Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143897 times)

Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #600 on: 15 July, 2012, 05:23:49 pm »
As of today Wiggins is leading the race as patron, not just leader.

There are times when I'm proud of the sport, today was one.

« Reply #601 on: 15 July, 2012, 05:48:42 pm »
What happened last year?

Cadel Evans neutralised (or at least limited ) the opposition in the climbs and took the time on the tt which he had taken a lot of trouble to prepare.

Funny, the last people than I can remember really taking the tour apart on a climb and winning it were Ulrich and Pantani. Do I have a short memory?

« Reply #602 on: 15 July, 2012, 07:07:30 pm »
Funny, the last people than I can remember really taking the tour apart on a climb and winning it were Ulrich and Pantani. Do I have a short memory?

And Floyd Landis in 2006.

« Reply #603 on: 15 July, 2012, 08:20:59 pm »
A theory: Cav/Sky are playing mind games. Shoot me down.
Cav is soft pedalling to give the impression that he is shot. He is not needed for Wiggos overall. He has wone his contractual stage. @London 2012 he lets leash. I do love a conspiracy  :P

Well perhaps you blew their cover causing Cav to come out to play today?!

Generally speaking i'm not sure why people seem to complicate cycle racing, it's a team effort, rather than bemusement surely the likes of Cav should be praised for his efforts for the team.  As Brailsford's roles cover both national and team events he can ensure aims and efforts of each rider are directed towards maximising outcomes, he seems pretty straightforward in identifying targets and preparing riders to meet them, it appears it's the speculation of others which muddies the water.

Similarly, it appears that riders can undermine their own best interests through not recognising the bigger picture of their team, e.g. today's Froome article (if accurate) and Van Gaarderen's (apparent) selective hearing at the top of the last summit today. 

Not that i've never made a mistake in my life myself mind!

An appointment to shoot you down CJ Biff,
anytime this evening would suit me fine,
yes CJ Biff, 9.30 in the morning,
thankyou CJ Biff.   
Can you not just re-register as CJ?
 :D

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #604 on: 15 July, 2012, 10:43:17 pm »

Yes indeed. Echoes of Armstrong waiting for Ulrich after he went flying over the barrier. Brad did the maillot jaune proud today.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #605 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:21:01 am »
I blame the Russians. I heard they were Karpets' tacks.  ;D

« Reply #606 on: 16 July, 2012, 07:42:54 am »
Posted by: Rhys W: Today at 12:21:01 AM
I blame the Russians. I heard they were Karpets' tacks. 

Oh dear!!!!!!    Give that man a cigar!

« Reply #607 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:34:24 am »
Chances are you've seen this if you're a Twitterer, but if not

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/bradley-wiggins-targeted-by-wile-e-coyote-2012071634368

'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #608 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:43:05 am »

Yep. Only one rider didn't do as he said, & the peloton rode him down before the end, so he didn't gain from it. The peloton obviously respects Wiggo, & agreed with his action.

The leading bunch don't count, of course. Too far away, & none of them a threat to the GC.

Being le patron doesn't stop 'em racing you, though.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #609 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:49:26 am »
Hard to see what Rolland could possibly have gained from his move anyway - there were too many in the breakaway, and they were too far ahead for him.

Therefore you have to believe that he's telling the truth about getting no communication from the team car - presumably as well as telling him he was being unsporting, they would also have told him his move was stupid, and instructed him to save his energy for the mountains.

The really unsporting move of the day was Tejay Van Garderen not waiting for Cadel at the top of the climb. He's gone right down in my estimation.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #610 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:51:02 am »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #611 on: 16 July, 2012, 11:54:44 am »
But isn't Van Garderen in the same team as Evans? I suppose he could argue that he's protecting his white jersey, which Evans isn't contesting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #612 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:05:36 pm »
Is there any clue as to who threw the tacks? Just hoolies for the lulz? It can't have been aimed at any particular rider or team and if it had been some kind of social/political/industrial/etc protest, you'd have thought there'd be some demonstrators. "We will disrupt every stage in the Pyrenees until the Pyrenean dialect is recognised as an official language" or whatever.

Also, Evans and presumably others punctured before the summit - but there were loads of spectators on the climb, so it's odd that no one noticed anything on such a narrow road.

But isn't Van Garderen in the same team as Evans? I suppose he could argue that he's protecting his white jersey, which Evans isn't contesting.
There's already been one stage in the Alps where Van Garderen had to slow down to allow a knackered Evans to catch up, and he was visibly unhappy there. I reckon he probably feels he's stronger than Evans in this race, and quite likely he's right, and he's frustratedly champing at the bit. I'm not sure whether the same is also true of Froome with regard to Wiggins - I think Froome is more loyal/sensible/patient.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuzzy

« Reply #613 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:19:55 pm »
Is there any clue as to who threw the tacks? Just hoolies for the lulz? It can't have been aimed at any particular rider or team and if it had been some kind of social/political/industrial/etc protest, you'd have thought there'd be some demonstrators. "We will disrupt every stage in the Pyrenees until the Pyrenean dialect is recognised as an official language" or whatever.

Wasn't yesterday a first ascent of the Col by the Tour?

Perhaps it was a disgruntled Col dweller annoyed at the road closures and disruption a'la Etape de Caledonia?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #614 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:29:46 pm »
They did mention it was the first time the Tour's used that road, I forgot that. Could be so, Fuzzy, though it sounds terribly un-French to protest against le Tour!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #615 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:34:50 pm »
Conspiracy theory 1: It was the Spanish government agents! They wanted to show that French roads are insecure so next year the TdF should cross the Pyrenees and use Spanish roads, so boosting their ailing economy.

Conspiracy theory 2: It was the bike shop in the town at the bottom of the mountain, advertising his rapid puncture repair service.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #616 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:38:00 pm »
Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere in the preceding 40+ pages but what's Cav's plan?  I'm guessing he is planning something spectacular for the  Champs-Élysées and wants an Olympic gold to add to his impressive collection of achievements.  In the meantime he seems to have been doing a great job supporting his team during the Tour or have I got that bit wrong?

fuzzy

« Reply #617 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:39:23 pm »
They did mention it was the first time the Tour's used that road, I forgot that. Could be so, Fuzzy, though it sounds terribly un-French to protest against le Tour!

There are some sections of French (and other nationality) society that would protest at the closing of a book of matches.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #618 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:45:20 pm »
Could've been the 'Non a l'ours' mob.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #619 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »
Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere in the preceding 40+ pages but what's Cav's plan?  I'm guessing he is planning something spectacular for the  Champs-Élysées and wants an Olympic gold to add to his impressive collection of achievements.  In the meantime he seems to have been doing a great job supporting his team during the Tour or have I got that bit wrong?

That seems to be it. Sagan and Greipel seem to have the green jersey competition sewn up, but Cav probably fancies four in a row on the Champs-Élysées and is using the rest of the tour to stay in top condition for the Olympics.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #620 on: 16 July, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »

Evans still has to be considered as a contender for overall victory, which is far more important than the white jersey.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #621 on: 16 July, 2012, 01:22:43 pm »
Quite. It looked like he heard Evans shouting and pressed on. Perhaps it was noisy up there, perhaps he assumed another team mate would be just behind.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #622 on: 16 July, 2012, 01:24:38 pm »
He admitted that in hindsight he screwed up. I think that was big of him - whether it excuses him is down to Cadel and BMC!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #623 on: 16 July, 2012, 01:41:06 pm »
Posted by: Rhys W: Today at 12:21:01 AM
I blame the Russians. I heard they were Karpets' tacks. 

Oh dear!!!!!!    Give that man a cigar!

They don't use tacks, they use stair rods

« Reply #624 on: 16 July, 2012, 01:52:24 pm »
Could've been the 'Non a l'ours' mob.

That would be bear-faced cheek.
The journey is always more important than the destination