Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143026 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #775 on: 19 July, 2012, 11:29:59 pm »
What was that phrase about Voeckler, "the housewife's favourite"? You can see why!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #776 on: 19 July, 2012, 11:39:37 pm »
What was that phrase about Voeckler, "the housewife's favourite"? You can see why!

Quite so;)

Mind you, whilst he's down there, his facial tics aren't putting them off their stroke, so to speak.   :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #777 on: 19 July, 2012, 11:43:29 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #778 on: 19 July, 2012, 11:46:59 pm »
Mr Bean goes bike racing.

Looks like he misjudged things after a spell riding out of the saddle.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #779 on: 20 July, 2012, 12:01:08 am »
Before I attempt to endure the interminable adverts on ITVplayer interspersed with a documentary about a Mr B. Wiggins (I was out when it was broadcast earlier), does anybody know when or if said programme will be repeated soon?
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #780 on: 20 July, 2012, 12:09:04 am »
Before I attempt to endure the interminable adverts on ITVplayer interspersed with a documentary about a Mr B. Wiggins (I was out when it was broadcast earlier), does anybody know when or if said programme will be repeated soon?

Mid-day Friday (i.e. today), before the live coverage begins.

EDIT - also repeated on Monday 23rd July, at 7pm.

« Reply #781 on: 20 July, 2012, 12:20:16 am »
Great! Cheers spesh
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #782 on: 20 July, 2012, 12:31:03 am »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/19/tour-de-france-bradley-wiggins

If that's an accurate report, it sounds like tempting providence to me. All sorts of things can go wrong between now and the Champs Elysées.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #783 on: 20 July, 2012, 04:53:29 am »
I do not care wether Wiggins or Froome wins.If a British cyclist wins it,riding in a British team
Bankrolled by a currently unpopular Australian/American media mogul  ;)

It's good that a colonial should contribute something to the mother country :demon:

Seriously,I would have thought his preference would have been to inject all that £ into the Australian scene. To raise Cadel Evans's profile?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #784 on: 20 July, 2012, 05:02:01 am »
I do not care wether Wiggins or Froome wins.If a British cyclist wins it,riding in a British team

It's good that a colonial should contribute something to the mother country :demon:

Seriously,I would have thought his preference would have been to inject all that £ into the Australian scene. To raise Cadel Evans's profile?

The UK media market is worth maybe 10 times that of Australia, and Sky must be looking to the potential market in Europe. Australia is a tiny market by comparison and, anyway, Murdoch left there a long time ago. His loyalty is to cash, not countries.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #785 on: 20 July, 2012, 05:07:09 am »

The UK media market is worth maybe 10 times that of Australia, and Sky must be looking to the potential market in Europe. Australia is a tiny market by comparison and, anyway, Murdoch left there a long time ago. His loyalty is to cash, not countries.

Yes,I should have realised that.

« Reply #786 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:05:50 am »
One thing that really makes us flinch when watching is the spectators getting in the riders faces as they climb. I'm surprised no-one has commented on Cav's crash yesterday, when a flag waved in his face by a "fan" wrapped around his bars and brought him down. Perhaps it's time to start looking at some crowd control?

https://twitter.com/MarkCavendish/status/226004930098503681

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Tour de France 2012
« Reply #787 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:19:03 am »

You're not familiar with ITV4's programming policy then? It'll be repeated at least twice a week for the next three years.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #788 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:19:32 am »
Didn't know this...

Wiggins was born in Belgium and spent several years with French cycling teams, so he can - if he wants - speak French fluently.
Bradley Wiggins: What the French make of cycling hero   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18899902

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

Tour de France 2012
« Reply #789 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:56:43 am »
So they see him the same way we see Eric Cantona, really.

Love the front page of today's Equipe:
http://p.twimg.com/AyOe_YkCYAAg-jx.jpg#twimg

d.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #790 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:05:42 am »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/19/tour-de-france-bradley-wiggins

If that's an accurate report, it sounds like tempting providence to me. All sorts of things can go wrong between now and the Champs Elysées.

Do you actually think that "tempting providence" has any influence on professional world-class sport?
What next - will you be checking they don't tread on any cracks on their way to the start?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #791 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:22:23 am »
Did anyone else notice the "tacks" graffiti on the road yesterday?

Gotta love cycling fans humour!  ;D

LEE

« Reply #792 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:33:30 am »
One thing that really makes us flinch when watching is the spectators getting in the riders faces as they climb. I'm surprised no-one has commented on Cav's crash yesterday, when a flag waved in his face by a "fan" wrapped around his bars and brought him down. Perhaps it's time to start looking at some crowd control?

https://twitter.com/MarkCavendish/status/226004930098503681

I find it uncomfortable/maddening viewing as the top riders try to force their way through ranks of f***wits at the top of climbs.

I'd use Tasers on the ones that run alongside, bouncing off other spectators into the path of the cyclists.

Can you imagine Usain Bolt trying to dodge lardy-arse tw4ts with flags on the 100 metres track?

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #793 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:38:58 am »
Anyone arriving at the top of a climb in fancy dress or a mankini should be thrown off it. Literally.
a great mind thinks alike

citoyen

« Reply #794 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:58:31 am »
Anyone arriving at the top of a climb in fancy dress or a mankini should be thrown off it. Literally.

*Like*

« Reply #795 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:03:54 am »
T'was ever thus; or have things got worse re the mountain crowds?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #796 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:10:47 am »
It may have been exacerbated this time because they have used some new finishes on very narrow roads (I think).  It's certainly looked very dangerous.  Lance would have decked a few people by now - but then, he'd possibly have had more energy!

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #797 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:16:49 am »
It's all Didi's fault (the Devil). He was regularly show in his daft costume so people copied him, thinking they'll get on TV too. I suppose it's really the fault of TV, giving airtime to these idiots.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #798 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:21:14 am »
I'm sure you're right, bonny lad.  But I suppose if it wasn't for TV, there wouldn't be a TdeF, these days.

LEE

« Reply #799 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:26:43 am »
Maybe just fit the Tour cars with these (to encourage the nutters to step back a few feet)

Excellent perspective from Jens

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQgWWceYwbY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/oQgWWceYwbY&rel=1</a>

I sort of understand the drunken F***wits doing it.  They are f***wits and they are drunk.

What I don't understand is the Lycra-Clad Racing Whippets doing it.  They are clearly cyclists and you'd think they would appreciate the dangers (especially as many of the "offenders" cycled up there themselves...probably whinging about cars driving too close).