Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143489 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #975 on: 22 July, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »
(b) Lesley Garrett WTF?

Yeah, save all the faux jingoism for the last night of the proms, love. Whoever dreamt that stunt up were out of their minds.  All it did was steal the opportunity for a unique (to date!) opportunity for Bradley and the British crowd  to sing along to the national anthem on the champs elysees. I feel robbed...

« Reply #976 on: 22 July, 2012, 05:23:44 pm »
What a marvellous result.

Mr. Bridger would be most pleased.

« Reply #977 on: 22 July, 2012, 05:26:24 pm »
<snip>

Who do you think could be a British challenger for King of the Mountains in the future?  Or is that going to be Froome, too?

If you believe the various fora / press reports Froome is gonna be a cycling god apparently

Heresy alert

(click to show/hide)

No, can't quarrel with that; Sky's achievement is phenomenal but sport is about romance for me.

ETA but Mark Cavendish's win was pretty romantic, too!

« Reply #978 on: 22 July, 2012, 05:27:37 pm »
Whoever dreamt that stunt up were out of their minds

It was so overblown it could only have been taking the p*
"We're just about to draw the raffle numbers"  - wonder how many miles of footnotes this will bring about in the extra-Britain press

« Reply #979 on: 22 July, 2012, 05:28:38 pm »
I started this thread back in June and have enjoyed every millimetre of the race, and all the banter on here.

Bradley has laid to rest Tommy Simpson's ghost and in doing so has achieved as much as any British sportsperson has ever achieved.

It is a great day and will linger long in the memory
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #980 on: 22 July, 2012, 05:41:59 pm »
I was just thinking about the incredible "Brad and Cav show" back in 2008 when they won the Madison to become world champions in one of the most exciting track races ever:

I never thought that 4 years later I would see them on the road, in the same team, wearing these jerseys on Avenue des Champs-Élysées:

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #981 on: 22 July, 2012, 05:47:19 pm »
What a day, great result!!!!  :thumbsup:

Been difficult for me though, dad's funeral 5 days before the start - the man who introduced me to the sport and an avid tour follower for many years, - 5 more weeks and he'd have seen the British winner he'd always dreamt about.

An emotional finish for me, I shed a few tears  :'(

LEE

« Reply #982 on: 22 July, 2012, 06:12:25 pm »
I started this thread back in June and have enjoyed every millimetre of the race, and all the banter on here.

Bradley has laid to rest Tommy Simpson's ghost and in doing so has achieved as much as any British sportsperson has ever achieved.

It is a great day and will linger long in the memory
Agreed.

I'll certainly never forget seeing Brad, in yellow, leading Cav's train into the final 1km or so.

I will admit to shouting "Cav's gone too early" but it seemed he went at the perfect moment.  What a perfect final day...(if I try to forget Lesley Garrett's stupid wailing that is.  Singing like that should be kept inside sound-insulated Opera Houses)

« Reply #983 on: 22 July, 2012, 06:26:27 pm »
I was just wondering: Are we the only country in the world to have a national anthem which is not about the nation but about the head of state?  Totally inappropriate at times like this - or any time.  Any time someone does well enough to win something, we have to worship the queen - what's wrong with us? 

The Dutch anthem is about the leader of the revolt against the Spanish. Our royalty is of his descent. So that's more or less the same as yours.

Impressive British success. To celebrate I got a discount code from a British cycle clothing company: SIDEBURNS
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

AndyK

« Reply #984 on: 22 July, 2012, 06:31:55 pm »
Well done Stanley Wiggins… who?  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #985 on: 22 July, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_BBEHBPqfIQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_BBEHBPqfIQ&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

red marley

« Reply #986 on: 22 July, 2012, 06:38:59 pm »
Stanley Wiggins sounds rather Dickensian to me. You know, that sort of chap that might sport a fine pair of sideburns and wear a silly hat...

« Reply #987 on: 22 July, 2012, 06:49:44 pm »
Christ, someone's strangling a cat now...

That was Lesley Garrett - and was complete carp 'cos she set off too high

Yes, she peaked too early.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #988 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:02:40 pm »
Weirdly Baggins. It was an adventure!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #989 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:08:44 pm »
Yippee! It's on telly again!

'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #990 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »
Wiggers:  I didn't know anyone still wore iridium shades.  Must be a LeMond tribute  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #991 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:15:53 pm »
GO ON JENSIE, STAY AWAY THIS TIME!

Aww.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #992 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:25:21 pm »
Fantastic!  I was just wondering: Are we the only country in the world to have a national anthem which is not about the nation but about the head of state?  Totally inappropriate at times like this - or any time.  Any time someone does well enough to win something, we have to worship the queen - what's wrong with us?  Play the tune, certainly, even if it is in 3 time, but not the words.

I can't think of another sporting achievement where a team has set out to do so many things, said they were going to and then done it.  Not even the great Australian cricket teams.  Who do you think could be a British challenger for King of the Mountains in the future?  Or is that going to be Froome, too?

All three jerseys next year?  It's a thought..

« Reply #993 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:33:14 pm »
GO ON JENSIE, STAY AWAY THIS TIME!

Aww.

we were cheering for him here, too!

agree on the anthem, not sure how impressed Wiggo was either: https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/status/227081999691706369/photo/1

fuzzy

« Reply #994 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »
Watched it live on the telly wishing I was on the Champs Elysee. Wow! Nothing else covers it.

Just packed away the stuff after a celebratoruy BBQ fuelled by Belgian beer bought for just this outcome at a supermarket in Liege during the Depart.

Chuffing well don to Brad, Dave and all the boys that make up the rider and support roster for team Sky :thumbsup:

« Reply #995 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:36:45 pm »
It does seem hard that they will have to hold back from a big knees-up because the Olympics are so close.

rogerzilla

« Reply #996 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:39:56 pm »
I wasn't the first to use the #sirdavebrailsford hashtag, it seems.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #997 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:51:15 pm »
How about #godemperorbrailsford ? Elevate him to the Lords immediately, we could do with some of this long-term smart focused planning in the wider world!

rogerzilla

« Reply #998 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:57:37 pm »
LOL at the closing music to the ITV4 highlights!

« Reply #999 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:06:19 pm »
The 2012 Tour de France - a British Tour de Force!  8)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche