Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476060 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1850 on: 21 October, 2017, 12:56:51 pm »
I meant to stop taking the topiramate last night (slightly different skew down than recommended) but forgot to take the pill, so my last was Thursday.  Good Fucking Riddance.  I feel so much better than even a week ago, no longer like my brain and skin are bathed in acid all the time. Hoping I can get back into my regular clear lens glasses next week without getting migraines from normal light and computer use.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1851 on: 23 October, 2017, 12:22:00 pm »
Every cold I get seems to last 2-3 weeks and I’m getting three a year. And every time I get the flu jab I get a cold immediately afterwards. Beginning to wonder if flu jab + impending cold = double assault on an immune system already impaired by daily inhaled steroids.

I am pissed off and knackered.
Milk please, no sugar.

simonp

« Reply #1852 on: 23 October, 2017, 12:34:54 pm »
Saw physio today.

Diagnosis: tenosynovitis of the extensor carpi ulnaris.

Treatment: no rowing. And other stuff. But mainly, no rowing. A few strokes on a rowing machine set it off quite badly.

Also, I have to get a new keyboard for work.

Also can't ride motorbike, or fixed wheel. Or perhaps even outside at all.

I can do turbo.

*sad face*

Got my new keyboard. Typos galore.

Also got some therapy putty. No, it's not like playdough. It flows, very slowly.

I have to do grip strength exercises twice a day. Wrist does seem to be improving slowly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1853 on: 23 October, 2017, 04:09:51 pm »
Beginning to wonder if flu jab + impending cold = double assault on an immune system already impaired by daily inhaled steroids.

I was under the impression that immune systems don't work like that.  If nothing else, surely J Random Vaccine is no different to the thousands of other sources of infection that we're exposed to on a daily basis...

Anyway, I think it's more a case of random lurgy taking hold according to a variant on Tucker's Law.  This also explains my GP's policy of doing asthma reviews around the time of patients' birthdays - it means that mine always falls into the optimum breathing window between the end of the pollen season and before my annual chest infection (when a cold combines with the air quality going to shit) at the end of October.  So I always feel like a bit of a fraud.

This.  Actually, it hasn't gone to my lungs yet.  We can but hope.

simonp

« Reply #1854 on: 23 October, 2017, 04:20:20 pm »
Every cold I get seems to last 2-3 weeks and I’m getting three a year. And every time I get the flu jab I get a cold immediately afterwards. Beginning to wonder if flu jab + impending cold = double assault on an immune system already impaired by daily inhaled steroids.

You're not alone. I came down with a cold a day before my wrist injury and that was three weeks ago and I'm still coughing.

I hope you feel better soon.

simonp

« Reply #1855 on: 26 October, 2017, 03:16:57 pm »
Went backwards a little bit with the cough and there was a tiny amount of blood yesterday. Reckon it's bronchitis. Continuing to avoid training, but maybe I should get onto Dr Freeman.

Also I've set up a meth lab just in case.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1856 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:53:31 am »
Went backwards a little bit with the cough and there was a tiny amount of blood yesterday. Reckon it's bronchitis. Continuing to avoid training, but maybe I should get onto Dr Freeman.

I’m still coughing and still knackered. Shall I get a plastic tub? We can go halves on the meth lab.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1857 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:30:53 am »
That doesn't sound good. GWS Ruthie :-*

I'm umming and ahhing about tomorrow's audax. I've been for a ride round the block a couple times to check the bike is ok after I crashed on Wednesday. The roadrash isn't a problem, and my shoulder didn't feel too bad in a riding position (though I could feel something when I was out of the saddle). Whether it would start aching more on a long ride I'm not sure though. :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1858 on: 27 October, 2017, 01:57:26 pm »

I’m still coughing and still knackered. Shall I get a plastic tub? We can go halves on the meth lab.

Seeing as we're not in USAnia, I assume you've got something like this in mind:  http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf  :)

simonp

« Reply #1859 on: 27 October, 2017, 02:19:14 pm »

Seeing as we're not in USAnia, I assume you've got something like this in mind:  http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf  :)

I’m guessing you’ve never seen Breaking Bad.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1860 on: 27 October, 2017, 02:23:06 pm »

I have, but since the whole plot is redundant in a country with a functional welfare system...

simonp

« Reply #1861 on: 27 October, 2017, 03:46:44 pm »

I have, but since the whole plot is redundant in a country with a functional welfare system...

Yeah, course you have. That welfare system is steadily being eroded though.

simonp

« Reply #1862 on: 29 October, 2017, 05:05:31 pm »
I might try turbo again tomorrow. Cough is not as bad as a week ago and it is now 4 weeks.

Wrist still nowhere near recovered.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1863 on: 29 October, 2017, 06:17:14 pm »
Day 26 of the Worst Episode of Sciatica for a few years. Nothing seems to ease the pain, other than Bed rest combined with Lots of Drugs, and, once I'm upright, the pain is so bad that I can't do anything. Anybody got any ideas, be they Homeopathic, chemical or Woo?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1864 on: 29 October, 2017, 08:39:08 pm »
My coughing has triggered my asthma. Yay. A one mile utility ride today has left me wiped out. Sigh.
Milk please, no sugar.

simonp

« Reply #1865 on: 31 October, 2017, 02:25:15 pm »
My coughing has triggered my asthma. Yay. A one mile utility ride today has left me wiped out. Sigh.

Feel better soon.

The I’m at the dentist because I found part of a tooth in my mouth.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1866 on: 01 November, 2017, 08:35:17 am »
Flu shot yesterday. Headachy, sore-armed and feeling like shit today. It's a holiday (All Saints, when folk go and tidy up the fambly vault then repair to the cakeshops), sun's shining and there's no wind.  I could be out there having fun. Rats.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1867 on: 01 November, 2017, 11:38:53 am »
Flu shot yesterday. Headachy, sore-armed and feeling like shit today. It's a holiday (All Saints, when folk go and tidy up the fambly vault then repair to the cakeshops), sun's shining and there's no wind.  I could be out there having fun. Rats.

Yeah.  It got me like that a month ago.  Ever since then I've had a cold, and felt worse every day.  Went to the doctor's today:  Chest infection.  Antibiotics.

So I'm taking a couple of days off work sick because just walking to the doctor's has knackered me.

:'(

I'm really fed up.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1868 on: 01 November, 2017, 04:54:23 pm »
That's a bummer.  GWS.

I shoved in a gramme of paracetamol, bellyached for two hours then went out and did 100k.  Feel great now. :)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1869 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:01:14 pm »
<Too Much Information>
Exceedingly Itchy Baws!  :-[
</Too Much Information>

Seems to be worse after drinking caffeine...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1870 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:47:25 pm »
Don't have baws but use Canesten cream on burny, itchy, sweaty undercarriage 'bits' and find they get better PDQ.
Said cream available from Sainsbury's for treating Athlete's Foot.
Undercarriage frequently unhappy after spending a day on a plastic-covered wheelchair cushion.

Suggest as much fresh air as possible, within the bounds of decency.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1871 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:52:02 pm »
Undercarriage frequently unhappy after spending a day on a plastic-covered wheelchair cushion.

Ever considered Ventisit?  Darksiders swear by it for a reason.

https://ventisit.nl/en/wheelchairs-and-medical/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1872 on: 02 November, 2017, 08:02:55 pm »
LWaB also suggested this. TBH I just think I need to get up more as even the kindest cushion won't let me break wind, which is a major bugbear with a day in the chair.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1873 on: 02 November, 2017, 09:12:07 pm »
Don't have baws but use Canesten cream on burny, itchy, sweaty undercarriage 'bits' and find they get better PDQ.
Said cream available from Sainsbury's for treating Athlete's Foot.

Suggest as much fresh air as possible, within the bounds of decency.

I am currently trying Canestan, but 5 days in, and no change :-(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1874 on: 02 November, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »
You might benefit from a GP or dermatologist.

Is there any chance of biteys from pets?