Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210663 times)

ian

Re: DOTD
« Reply #600 on: 10 July, 2017, 06:57:16 pm »
Yes, that's CS7. People wobble to the front every time. Either the lycra boys who can't clip in or the generically clueless. In a country where pushing to the front of any queue is usually grounds for a savage tutting it's most peculiar behaviour.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #601 on: 11 July, 2017, 06:17:51 pm »
I try to cycle to work and back after the main rush hour, in part to reduce interactions with dangerous idiots on bicycles. It doesn't work entirely, but the last two journeys make me think that some people shouldn't be allowed out unless they're on a lead and have a handler.

Going home last night I came to a set of lights at a T junction, stopped in the ASL in the middle of the lane (I was turning right). The traffic light cycle is very long, so after a while another cyclist stopped to my left and a little behind. Not long before the light changed another one stopped alongside almost on the central white line. OK, I think, he's going right as well.

No, when the lights changed and we all pulled away he tried to turn left through me.

This morning, stopped in the ASL with a bunch of other cyclists, lights changed and off we go, a gap between me and the cyclist in front, another cyclist to my left. All happy, accelerating away, two gear changes done. All of a sudden a bicycle comes past on my right and turns left across the pair of us. Not a youngster, but from the glimpse I got as I exhaled "FUUUUUUCCK" he had grey hair under his helmet.

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #602 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:29:58 pm »
Yes, that's CS7. People wobble to the front every time. Either the lycra boys who can't clip in or the generically clueless. In a country where pushing to the front of any queue is usually grounds for a savage tutting it's most peculiar behaviour.
CS7. I now ride the length of that every day. There is no end of shocking cycling on display at almost every moment.
Rust never sleeps

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #603 on: 13 July, 2017, 01:49:53 pm »
Bonus points to the MAMIL whom I overtook in the car about 200 metres before a mini-roundabout this morning. As I approached the roundabout I turned on my left indicator because - you guessed it - I was intending to turn left.

Had to wait for a short while to let other traffic go, during which time Mr MAMIL sailed up my left side and stopped alongside me. I'm not sure why I chose to hold back a few seconds once there was a break in the traffic but I'm glad I did as Mr MAMIL then decided to turn right, without signalling  :facepalm:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #604 on: 24 July, 2017, 05:36:07 am »
Last night, on the way to work, crossing a roundabout. Kid, about eleven, on and off the footpath, tried to ride straight off the edge and right across to the centre of the roundabout I was exiting. Looking left, of course.

I had already clocked him, so I had my left foot unclipped ready for an emergency stop, which duly came with him about a foot from my leg, alerted by my shouts of "WATCH!"

Which were followed by "Open your eyes and LOOK, son! If I had been in a car, you would be dead!"

I just hope something gets through his head before a car bonnet does.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #605 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:45:22 pm »
Italians on bikes - all of them.  I've only been here 2 days and while seeing the thousands of POBs and hundreds of cyclists is cheering I've not yet seen a single one stop at a red light or pause when turning left across traffic. Glad I'm home tomorrow, my nerves cannae take any more.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #606 on: 28 July, 2017, 04:53:41 pm »
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #607 on: 28 July, 2017, 05:18:23 pm »
Dashcam shows young cyclist 'playing chicken' with car

???

Teenagers.

Also looks like he's using his trainers as a brake.

Meanwhile, this guy's using his mudguard as a weapon (motorist then attempts to fight back with a golf stick): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-berkshire-40750855/slough-road-fight-cyclist-and-driver-filmed-brawling

« Reply #608 on: 28 July, 2017, 06:56:18 pm »
Dashcam shows young cyclist 'playing chicken' with car

???

Teenagers.

Also looks like he's using his trainers as a brake.

Meanwhile, this guy's using his mudguard as a weapon (motorist then attempts to fight back with a golf stick): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-berkshire-40750855/slough-road-fight-cyclist-and-driver-filmed-brawling

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough..

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #609 on: 28 July, 2017, 08:17:08 pm »
I'm not sure that teenager is actually using his feet as brakes, I think he's just riding with his feet in the air for a bit of a laugh. His real crime, of course, is shown in the caption: "about 20 drivers were unable to get past."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #610 on: 04 August, 2017, 01:03:11 pm »
Two this morning. Turned off main road to ride along residential street, 0500 hrs. Me in yellow and fully lit. Nearly hit BSO and POB on wrong side of the road, two feet from the kerb, dark clothing, no lights.

I get to the bus stop by Ashdown House, and another similar pairing comes out of the ped link, rides along the grass by the main road against traffic direction till the grass runs out, then hops onto the road and continues down the bus lane of a very busy dual carriageway (the one that goes under the airport) on the wrong side of the road.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #611 on: 07 August, 2017, 01:33:16 pm »
CS7. I now ride the length of that every day. There is no end of shocking cycling on display at almost every moment.

In my days as a CS7 regular, it was always the guys in the rugby socks and flat pedals on their Spesh Allez that were the biggest pain. That and the nutters in Tooting. Surprisingly it was neither of these that nearly put an end to me! ;)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #612 on: 07 August, 2017, 03:19:32 pm »

Dear me, standards, people!

Enny fule no it should've been a Zefal HPX . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #613 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:39:42 pm »
Meanwhile in other news.

$cyclist has posted in a Facebook cycling group that she bought the wrong disc pads as they are 'the right shape but too thick'.

I haven't replied. I'm not going to. I despair. Really . . .
VELOMANCER

« Reply #614 on: 27 August, 2017, 08:44:33 am »
An encounter with an 'all-the-gear-no-idea': lycra, racer, big on high viz. .  Day after Charlie Alliston verdict.

I'd passed him struggling up one of York's famous hills and then stopped at the red.  Before the green he arrived, nipped onto the pavement between the pedestrians and by-passed the lights.  After the green I passed him again and slowed to suggest that his RLJ-ing was giving cyclists a bad name.  I just caught 'but it's not..' before I moved on.  So I'll never know what it isn't. 'Illegal' possibly? 

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #615 on: 28 August, 2017, 10:59:13 am »
This may have been down to a lack of clue but who rides their bike across a railway...?

road.cc
VELOMANCER

« Reply #616 on: 28 August, 2017, 11:54:10 am »
This may have been down to a lack of clue but who rides their bike across a railway...?

road.cc

An American tourist!

« Reply #617 on: 28 August, 2017, 01:36:22 pm »

road.cc

It does look like he tried to pass inside a gap in the third rail, and assuming you could bunny hop the rails, albeit that's unlikely from ballast, it could "work".  Of course, with the slightest stumble and putting your foot down near the third rail, you would have problems.

At 750DC, I would think that a bicycle tyre would mostly act as an insulator, and any gap of more than about 1mm of air would probably also insulate you from it, so you'd have to almost touch the rail to have a problem (not that I'm recommending experimentation !)

The article has a Tweet from Southeastern "... Here's the damaged rail that engineers needed to repair", although I'm not sure what they had to do, since it doesn't look like more than scorching, presumably due to contact with the metal of the frame or wheel (and hopefully not too much of the person) grounding the supply.

A very very stupid act, and entirely appropriate for this thread, but it may have been a somewhat ridiculously naive attempt to minimise the risks.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #618 on: 29 August, 2017, 07:35:48 pm »
Even without the third rail, trying to cross the tracks other than at a crossing was a stupid thing to do.

« Reply #619 on: 29 August, 2017, 07:58:26 pm »

road.cc
I used to twice a day.

It was an official crossing, though. One of those footpath/bridleway things where you were warned to be alert & there was a timber path level with the rails.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #620 on: 31 August, 2017, 02:06:48 pm »
Last night riding up one of the immense cols in York someone cut across my front wheel on an electric skateboard - it was a really long thing - then onto the pavement where he proceeded to ride downhill slower than a bike.

No idea how it was speed controlled.

Stupid fucker, good thing I had fingers on my brakes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #621 on: 31 August, 2017, 02:56:08 pm »
Commute today, on CS Lower Thames Street E to W. Roadie in team gear, belts past at top speed just as lights change, so far so normal. Stops at lights, that's a plus. Stopped at one set, he stops behind a hire bike rider on the left, I'm on the right just by the hire bike. Goes green, he's OFF. Trouble is, so am I. I slow to avoid collision as he goes to overtake hire bike. He grabs my shoulder and pulls himself forward. I say "enjoy your race". He goes in front and turns right off the CS.

Takes all sorts.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #622 on: 31 August, 2017, 03:30:08 pm »
I think I'd have said more than that to someone grabbing my shoulder on a moving bike without warning.

« Reply #623 on: 31 August, 2017, 07:04:08 pm »
TBH, my gob was too involved in the process of being smacked to be, well,  gobby. I only came out with that line as I had been thinking it since he belted past fast and close.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #624 on: 01 September, 2017, 12:35:12 am »
I think I'd have said more than that to someone grabbing my shoulder on a moving bike without warning.

Happened to me once, and was more than a little startling, but there were Special Circumstances.