Author Topic: "Short" Aero Bars  (Read 4473 times)

rob

"Short" Aero Bars
« on: 25 October, 2018, 02:40:38 pm »
I'm looking at how I set up my Audax bike into Ultra mode ready for RaTN next year.   I was going to put full aero bars on but this would involve playing with the stem and the stack to get my hip angle right and keep comfortable.

I'm toying with a pair of mini tri-bars - the ones that are classed as draft legal for tri.   I figure this will give me a more comfortable position without having to make too many changes.   I suppose my main worry is that my weight will be on my forearms rather than my elbows so may be a problem for long flat sections of which there will be many.

Has anyone used these for longer rides ?

Thanks

Rob

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: "Short" Aero Bars
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2018, 03:05:51 pm »

If you look at aero bars like the profile designs T2+, they allow you to adjust height,and reach, all irrespective of the basebar position. Might be worth looking at. I don't think DL tri bars are designed with 16+ hour days of use in mind...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2018, 03:16:16 pm »
HAve you also considered a dual position seatpost, such as that used by Kajsa Tylen on her year record? These allow you to easily shift your saddle forward to compensate for the tri position, and back again for conventional riding.

Such as this type....

https://redshiftsports.com/dual-position-seatpost
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2018, 04:33:35 pm »
I think 'no' is the answer; I don't recall ever seeing any.  That's not a good reason to rule them out as the ultracycling scene is pretty conservative with gear, but I've never used them so don't have any insight.

Would doing it on your TT bike be an option?  There won't be that much descending so drops not so important, but decent aerobars will be.  I've done a 600 on a TT bike and lived to tell the tale. This is a bit longer but flatter so will only be an extra day...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2018, 10:06:18 pm »
Here's my LEL bike setup

I don't think I am extraordinarily flexible or unusual in body shape but I find the bars and drops both comfortable and usable like this
The handle bars are relatively high and there are no supports for the tri bars, I just use pipe insulation on the handle bars as padding
They aren't "stubby" tri bars they are normal length anatomical ones
More details on the blog

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2018, 10:34:23 pm »
David Coupe used something similar to https://www.trisports.com/search/aerobars PROFILE DESIGN
Century Clip-on Aerobars on the Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2100km in 2016.  Similar reason to you more hand positions and weight off hands, not so much aero needs. He seemed to like them.

« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2018, 07:55:11 am »
Here's my LEL bike setup

I don't think I am extraordinarily flexible or unusual in body shape but I find the bars and drops both comfortable and usable like this
The handle bars are relatively high and there are no supports for the tri bars, I just use pipe insulation on the handle bars as padding
They aren't "stubby" tri bars they are normal length anatomical ones
More details on the blog

**Apologies - thread hijack**
Looks good! Can I ask, what is the rear rack that is supporting your Alpkit drybag? 
For audax I've used aerobars without any pads, as on bumpy routes you don't get to use them much - and I did think about using pipe insulation as an 'upgrade'.  But I've now discovered that with the right pads you can get access to the tops.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2018, 08:12:14 am »
**Apologies - thread hijack**
Looks good! Can I ask, what is the rear rack that is supporting your Alpkit drybag? 

It's homemade, 2 layers of corrugated plastic, gaffer tape and velcro.   Extremely light and works fairly well but not perfect.  It's not really a rack, it attaches to the saddle and rests on the saddle clamp

I have a Lomo bike packing style tapered dry bag with straps now and it isn't as stable as the dry bag+homemade thing.  I need to improve the homemade thing design, come up with a snappy name and market it on a website with black and white photos

« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2018, 08:41:42 am »
David Coupe used something similar to https://www.trisports.com/search/aerobars PROFILE DESIGN
Century Clip-on Aerobars on the Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2100km in 2016.  Similar reason to you more hand positions and weight off hands, not so much aero needs. He seemed to like them.

I used the same ones on LEL and they are very comfortable, with the added bonus that the loop design gives somewhere to mount a light or GPS device up front.

Swapped them for normal aero bars in the end as the reach was a bit too short for me and there is no fore/aft adjustment in the bars themselves.  But then I'm 6'3" with arms like an organutan so it's probably not an issue for most people.

« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2018, 09:46:22 am »
I had some stubby Vision ones that had integrated arm rests (was an experiment for TTing). I hated them - they were too close and bunched up, without enough support to get proper low, and putting my wrists into a horrible cocked position. I got rid sharpish and got some Profile Design T4+ instead - I can actually get comfortable on them because they have ski bends and I can put my elbows on the pads.

I believe you can still get spinacci bar extensions - maybe these would be a good option if all you are looking for is a change of hand position (and maybe a slight change of reach).
Found some for dirt cheap - don't know about the diameter of the clamp though: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HB3TTIRA/3ttt-tiramisu-bar-extensions

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 26 October, 2018, 11:04:29 am »
Why not just fit some normal aero bars and cut down the extensions?

I'm sure Rob knows this but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't, any decent brand of clip-on tribar will allow you to slide the extensions back and forward in the clamps.  They also all use 22.2 mm extensions* so any extensions are compatible with any clamps.

Anyone thinking of getting Profile bars should stop, have a better look and get something else, as there are many better tribar designs out there.

*Deda are a notable exception

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 26 October, 2018, 12:16:49 pm »
Why not just fit some normal aero bars and cut down the extensions?

I'm sure Rob knows this but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't, any decent brand of clip-on tribar will allow you to slide the extensions back and forward in the clamps.  They also all use 22.2 mm extensions* so any extensions are compatible with any clamps.

Anyone thinking of getting Profile bars should stop, have a better look and get something else, as there are many better tribar designs out there.

*Deda are a notable exception

easton extensions (at least the aeroforce model) are also 24mm diameter, interchangeable with deda mount kit

« Reply #12 on: 26 October, 2018, 12:21:54 pm »
Slightly off topic - why? My fitter recommended the T4+ to me as the most adjustable ski bend bar and therefore the best "first aerobar". Obviously if it were on some super fast aero bike then I'd be getting some integrated stuff like this: https://www.iancammish.co.uk/pdqbarsshop but just for dropping onto a steel fixie that's probably overkill!

rob

« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2018, 12:33:46 pm »
Typical isn't it ?   I sold some Deda's on here a couple of years back.   I also gave away some Vukas recently as I thought I had no use for them.   At that point I had no requirement for Tri-bars on the Audax bike.

Thanks for the suggestions.   The position on my audax bike is quite racey and I notice there's not much drop between the saddle and bars on Vorsprung's bike.   For me to get there I'd need to change my stem or get tri-bars with quite a lot of risers - both of these are a possibility and will keep the hip angle wide.

I actually could use my TT bike as it has all of the necessary braze ons.   I have done a 400k on it with bags and bottles and it was comfortable enough.   It is going to live on the turbo for a few months so I'm not sure I'll be able to do enough road miles on it to be completely ready in time for May.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2018, 12:55:39 pm »
Slightly off topic - why? My fitter recommended the T4+ to me as the most adjustable ski bend bar and therefore the best "first aerobar". Obviously if it were on some super fast aero bike then I'd be getting some integrated stuff like this: https://www.iancammish.co.uk/pdqbarsshop but just for dropping onto a steel fixie that's probably overkill!

Because the Vukas are more adjustable, have much nicer armrests that are worth it for those alone, are very well made and don't cost any more money.  Yes I've owned both brands of bars. 

[Also because if you want tribars that flip up then 3t make some that are much nicer than the Profile offerings - and yes I've owned both of those too.]

« Reply #15 on: 26 October, 2018, 01:45:54 pm »
https://youtu.be/3P2Vrh3QjBw

Pretty short “ mini aero bars”, but seem to be doing the job maybe?

« Reply #16 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:11:53 am »

Because the Vukas are more adjustable, have much nicer armrests that worth it for those alone, are very erllmade and don't cost any more money.  Yes I've owned both brands of bars. 

[Also because if you want tribars that flip up then 3t make some that are much nicer than the Profile offerings - and yes I've owned both of those too.]

I own 2 sets of Profile, 2 of 3T and, finally, a set of Vukas, and would agree with the above!

« Reply #17 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:17:30 am »
The position on my audax bike is quite racey and I notice there's not much drop between the saddle and bars on Vorsprung's bike.   For me to get there I'd need to change my stem or get tri-bars with quite a lot of risers - both of these are a possibility and will keep the hip angle wide.

People have the position that they are comfortable with.  If you can ride long distance with that position, then why wouldn't you stick with it?  My saddle to bar drop is not very much nowadays, since I've had neck issues but, if I could, I'd have my bars lower! 

« Reply #18 on: 09 November, 2018, 11:58:18 am »
Decathlon's tri bars are very good. I fitted a set to my audax bike and I'm really happy with them.
They are quite adjustable and come with a bridge to allow you to fit a computer as well.

Not heavy, adjustable, cheap, what's not to like?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-triathlon-aerobars-id_8324326.html