Author Topic: <whispers> Canti brake recommendations please  (Read 8399 times)

<whispers> Canti brake recommendations please
« on: 15 May, 2012, 02:27:03 pm »
I've tried converting Margaret Hilda to V's but the fork and rear triangle stays are too close together and the results are not entirely satisfactory.   

MH has received a stay of execution* I would like to equip her with some significantly more powerful cantis to give me more confidence in her ever stopping.   She is currently equipped with the Suntour suicide brakes that she came equipped with.   For an all up load these have supertanker stopping characteristics!

So, in order to stop this supertanker, which cantis have the greatest stopping power, and, where do I get them from, please?

* A reprieve from sale or disposal due to a proposition from a friend for May 2013.

Re: <whispers> Canti brake recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2012, 02:33:35 pm »
the froggleg empellas on my pompino work much better than the tektro 992s on my touring bike, so much so I've just ordered some empellas (27 pounds on ebay) to replace them.

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2012, 02:43:19 pm »
Another vote for frogleggs.

The fittings that come with frogleggs make it relatively easy to achieve the shallow-angle of the straddle wire that is so important for stopping power.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:02:52 pm »
We have some self energising thing on the rear of the Swallow. They're brilliant.

I'll see if I can find a link.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:13:08 pm »
Self-energiser cantilever brakes were made by either Scott or Suntour. Scott also did a front version but Suntour reckoned they'd be too powerful and only made the rear version.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:16:45 pm »
Fboab,  Many thanks but I have Suntour Se's on the rear.   Unfortunately, I do not rate them at all.   

Froglegs eh?  How about Tektro cr520's?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »
I'd consider dual-pivot calipers.  They can even be used with 35mm tyres + mudguards in some cases.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:21:32 pm »
Then you haven't adjusted them correctly and/or have crap pads. The SE cantilevers are very powerful when correctly adjusted.

Suntour made several non-SE cantilevers as well.

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:28:10 pm »
Fboab,  Many thanks but I have Suntour Se's on the rear.   Unfortunately, I do not rate them at all.   

Froglegs eh?  How about Tektro cr520's?
Look like the same thing to me.

the critical difference between frogleggs and more modern designs is that the froglegg straddle attachment point can be positioned *below* the brake point.

this means that the braking leverage *increases* as the brake pads move towards the rim.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:35:34 pm »
I'd consider dual-pivot calipers.  They can even be used with 35mm tyres + mudguards in some cases.

Frame not set up to take dp's Biggsy.

Then you haven't adjusted them correctly and/or have crap pads. The SE cantilevers are very powerful when correctly adjusted.

Suntour made several non-SE cantilevers as well.

I have spent an inordinately excessive slice of my life trying to get the SE's to work without success.   time to pragmatically move on for me to something that I can make work.   You can have them for free if you wish when they come off - I think that I may have some more suntour cantis in the junk parts bin if you'd like those too.

One of the reasons I don't particularly like canti's is that they require far too much fettling.   Brakes should be simply fit, adjust occasionally for pad wear, replace pads.   Every so often replace cable.   

the froggleg empellas on my pompino work much better than the tektro 992s on my touring bike, so much so I've just ordered some empellas (27 pounds on ebay) to replace them.

Pink empellas with the new adjusters now top of my 'to buy' list.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »
The Tektro CR520 / CR720 use standard V-brake pads, which are a lot easier to find than old style cantilever pads (as used on the Frogglegs). Plus you can use cartridge pads if you want (the CR720 includes cartridge pads).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:41:24 pm »
I spent years as a bike shop and occasional team mechanic and setting up cantilevers never seems very difficult to me. I'd be happy to get a high quality set of cantilever brakes. Just let me know what tipple you prefer.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:57:35 pm »
Frame not set up to take dp's Biggsy.

Not even the front forks?  No hole?  Nowt wrong with having different kind of brakes front and rear.

Cantis in theory can be at least as good as DPs; I just find them more fiddly.

« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2012, 04:09:57 pm »
I'm not averse to mixing Biggsy - I have dp's on the front of my audax bike and cantis on the rear.   

There is a fork crown drilling IIRC but being designed for cantis I seem to recall measuring and discovering that it will not accommodate the usual deep drop brakes.  It can take 35mm tyres below the mudguard comfortably. 

Pragmatically some decent cantis will be sufficient, especially when I get round to connecting up the Arai drag brake as well.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2012, 04:17:24 pm »
usual deep drop brakes.

Including Alhongas?  I'm only going on about it because I know how good the conversion can be (with a Dawes City Vision with 35mm tyres).

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »
I got rid of the Vs on my Bianchi because they were shite, and replaced them with Tektro CR520s. They were only marginally less shite, and no way no where anywhere near as effective as the SEs on the Swallow. There's no way we'd be able to trust them on the tandem, not with our momentum.

« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2012, 06:09:33 pm »
Hmm, food for thought.  I think that I'll try out the Froglegs and get the parts I need for the drum brake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2012, 06:23:22 pm »
Whatever you do, do not get low profile cantis.  Nice & wide is where it's at.  And I'd agree with LWaB (well, I would, wouldn't I?)
Getting there...

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2012, 07:22:26 pm »
I got CR520's or equivalent - worked fine once I'd got the straddle wire bit as low as humanly possible (pressing against the mudguards). Whilst they don't necessarily FEEL really powerful, the most bizarre thing is that they seem to stop just the same whether it's got a full touring load or nothing at all.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2012, 07:36:33 pm »
What are low profile cantis? 

« Reply #20 on: 15 May, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »
Had Tektro Oryx on my Dalesman - very poor. Replaced them with CR720's (which can be had for a very reasonable sum with a bit of shopping round). Added Kool Stop Tectonic multi-compound cartridges ( a bit pricey but well worth it). Spent a little time fettling - now stop quickly and smoothly, even at the bottom of these steep Devon hills - and, most importamtly, very quietly; not a trace of squeal

PH

« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2012, 08:29:50 pm »
The CR720's are good, I have them on one bike.  These IRD's that I have on another bike are even better;
http://www.shedbornbikes.com/interloc-ird-cantilever-brakes-29-p.asp

They've also shot up in price since I bought mine a couple of years ago.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:00:04 pm »
Getting there...

« Reply #23 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »
On that basis then the Suntour SE's and the IRD's are no good then?

« Reply #24 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:02:58 pm »
I don't do the fettling- I GAMI, but I don't think our SEs look like the 'bad' picture.
Even if they do, they're 'good'.