Author Topic: "Mini" track pumps...  (Read 4367 times)

Re: "Mini" track pumps...
« Reply #25 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:52:41 pm »
Pick which one of those you want and I'll buy it for you as a touring present.  :-*

Blimey! OK  ;D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #26 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:56:04 pm »
Pick the cheap one.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #27 on: 14 May, 2013, 03:40:48 pm »
I have the Leyzne, but without the air bleed system. The pump is excellent - all metal construction. It really is a mini track pump. Had mine 2 or 3 years. It just works. The gauge is dead useful you are running skinny tyres at high pressure where the thumb is a poor judge.

I've taken to only using mine for longer rides. For shorter stuff, I've switched to a Bontrager Air Rush mini pump / CO2 combo, as it's even more convenient and smaller.

Nick H.

« Reply #28 on: 14 May, 2013, 04:02:54 pm »
I had two Morphs, both of which pleased me. But I'd like to try a Lezyne mini track pump because I'm so impressed with the design and build of their Tech Drive thing. They must be very clever to make a tiny 100g pocket pump which gets to 120 psi. I took it touring. I've never tried the Pen Gauge - is it any good?

« Reply #29 on: 14 May, 2013, 04:52:07 pm »
I've had a Road Morph (with gauge), a Mountain Morph (larger barrel, no gauge) and a Turbo Morph - a Mtn. Morph with a gauge. All excellent, and will get to pressure quickly. Road morph good for 23/25 tyres, the Mtn or Turbo are better for larger sizes IMO.  All I think do presta or Schrader with a bit of fiddling with the head.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #30 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:18:47 pm »
Very neat, Deano! Mind you, you've kinda run out of space  :P

There was space on the other seat stay!

I did think of fitting some sort of quick-release stick for batting off the monkeys and other local wildlife in Darlo Rishikesh.

« Reply #31 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:39:53 pm »
................ I don't see how you can break the foot without yanking the handle up too far, or bending or twisting it as you pump.

I very quickly broke the foot off my Sigma mini track pump - but that one had a serious design flaw: the hinge of the foot took all the strain when pumping. The force goes through the end of the body of the Morph (something I checked before buying one), & that should be resting on something solid. The foot's just to keep it stable & stop it lifting up when you raise the handle.

I broke my Topeak's foot by trying to inflate a tyre on soft ground.
One other foot was broken by another cyclist when I lent him the pump to blow up a flat; he didn't understand how it worked and he just broke it off. He was doubly stupid; he broke my pump and he didn't have one of his own on a 300k ride. Pillock.
The key bits of the Lezyne are all metal.
FWIW, Simon L had a Topeak and it also had a broken foot.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #32 on: 15 May, 2013, 03:09:43 am »
I don't see how you can break the foot without yanking the handle up too far, or bending or twisting it as you pump.

Well that is not my fault if you can't see, but IIRC I simply put my foot on it. I don't yank or pull the handle up too far, really no need to be aggressive with them anyway so find that an odd comment.   I don't believe I twist them either when I used but then it was in the dirt at a bush camp so it could have been resting on a small rock or something. It really doesn't matter in my view as it broke at the start of a planned 5,000 km bike tour with over a 2,000 km to the next bike shop so for me they just don't cut it. I prefer to use gear I can trust ... Topeak is dropping down that ranking list.

It is or was a piece of plastic, nothing like the robustness of my Lezyne pumps.

Anyway I was simply reporting my experience ... if you are happy with the pump that is great, I wasn't and will not recommend them to anyone. I now have three Lezyne pumps for a reason ...

Andrew

« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2013, 05:09:21 pm »
I like my Topeak mountain and mini morphs.

The mini morph would be ideal for road bike use as it more compact and therefore has less capacity. It could fit in a back pocket if you wished, yet is still capable of 100psi+. I've never really considered others because they do such a great job.

Spares are also readily available - I lost the foot on the mini morph once because I used to have it mounted to the frame and the screw for the foot came loose and it fell off.

I used it for a while as it was but in the end I got a replacement foot from Topeak.

« Reply #34 on: 16 May, 2013, 12:51:06 pm »
I've got one of the Lezyne pumps, without the gauge or bleed button. It's awesome. One slight downside is that I've not managed to clamp it in with the provided bottle cage mount in such a way that it doesn't rattle against and scratch the frame. I just use an old velcro watch strap to secure it.

« Reply #35 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:10:48 am »
My mount came with a velcro strap.

« Reply #36 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:24:31 am »
Hey Deano, I like the side mounted wooden toolbox ;D

« Reply #37 on: 17 May, 2013, 10:57:40 am »
My mount came with a velcro strap.
So did mine, but this only secures it to the mount. It wasn't enough to stop it rattling at one end or other.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #38 on: 17 May, 2013, 12:43:25 pm »
I think mine did rattle against the frame a bit when I had it on a fat-tubed aluminium bike, but now it's on a steel-framed bike, it doesn't.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.