Author Topic: "Gamex" Windproof Cycling Tops?  (Read 3146 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
"Gamex" Windproof Cycling Tops?
« on: 16 August, 2013, 06:46:03 pm »
What happened to them? I want one again! Google doesn't come with anything useful.

I've been using a Pertex minimal outer layer for a while, a Surface branded shell - very useful but one huge design fault - non elasticated wrist cuffs - one has to stop and remove gloves before removing jacket! I don't have fat hands or fat wrists!

This morning on an early ride I wore a very old and too large now fluo yellow "Gamex" shell with zero features (no pockets basically) but full front zip and elasticated wrists. I'd forgotten a) how much more comfortable a material it is compared to Pertex, in that it isn't icky tacky/feels almost damp and b) how "breathable" and perfect it is for donning on and off as the temperature changes. It's not 100% windproof - but that means I don't sweat as I do in the Pertex. Then I remembered riding many 200K Audaxes in the early 90s where the Gamex shell was a boon in the morning and late afternoons and widely used by many a rider.

Surely such a brilliant material can't have disappeared? Can anyone help/advise.

YACF being quite some font of showerproof comfortable knowledge - and there's enough folks on here to know what I mean?

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Re: "Gamex" Windproof Cycling Tops?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2013, 06:54:39 pm »
Are you thinking of GANNEX, beloved of the late Harold Wilson?  If so then I bring sad news - the mill was demolished in 2010.  :'(
Jennifer - Walker of hills

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »
Gamex does not equal Gannex.
Gamex was a silky close-knit synthetic material. I think I had a lightweight fluo yellow Gamex top.

I think one of my schoolfriends married a descendant of Lord 'Gannex' Kagan.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2013, 07:26:55 pm »
Gamex does not equal Gannex.
Gamex was a silky close-knit synthetic material. I think I had a lightweight fluo yellow Gamex top.

I think one of my schoolfriends married a descendant of Lord 'Gannex' Kagan.
Helly speaks the truth: I've still got a Ribble fluo Gamex top (branded Alexa) bought in 1992, and a blue Nalini one also from late last century. Not in the slightest waterproof, but an excellent lightweight windproof for those chilly 6am 600km starts.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2013, 09:22:21 pm »
I have an Audax Ecosse Gamex top and it is a wonderful garment.  I recently visited Endura to try something on and enquired about Gamex and it seems there may be some hope of it making a return sometime in the future.  I am not however holding my breath.

At the Semaine Federale last week I noticed lots of "foreign" tops that looked to be Gamex so it may be worth trying manufacturers abroad.  I may be able to make enquiries with a French club if you like.

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2013, 09:29:12 pm »
In the meantime Owayo wind proof tops do a similar job.  Single thickness ventile garments from the likes of Hilltrek are also ace but pricey.

« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2013, 09:31:13 pm »
A quick Google uncovered Dutch, Czech & Polish firms selling Gamex cycling jackets, a discontinued Santini jacket, rowing clothing, & a lot of others I didn't check.

Oh, & a British listing - http://www.verotti.co.uk/product/285
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #7 on: 16 August, 2013, 09:51:16 pm »
Interesting but, if my memory is correct (and it may well not be) windtex is quite different to gamex, being a bit plasticy.  Happy to be corrected.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 16 August, 2013, 09:59:14 pm »
Blueth, I think you're right. My former club (the second most glamorous cycling club in Angus) got some new kit from Endura, including windtex jackets. ISTR it was indeed quite windproof, but also seriously "boil in the bag".
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2013, 10:56:51 pm »
I would like a replacement for my crash-damaged Ozzo Gamex jacket, too.  Unlike Pertex, the super-soft flexibility means it doesn't audibly flap in the wind.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2013, 11:14:05 pm »
I have an old Assos one bought in the Edinburgh Bike Co-Op sale for £25, down from £70! Fluo yellow with one red and one blue sleeve. I've taken to washing it in Nikwax to improve water resistance (I do this to all sorts of cheap rainjackets to generally good effect), as I believe it just relied on the closeness of the polyester weave normally.

I've had a couple of others over the years, and TAL/Endura offered a Gamex club jacket only a few years ago.

« Reply #11 on: 31 December, 2020, 05:22:44 pm »
Drat. The Zip tag on my Gamex jacket broke away in my hand yesterday. The current one is showing signs of its 25 year wear and rear so time to start looking for a new one <sigh>
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #12 on: 31 December, 2020, 05:36:37 pm »
Miastore (via internet ) in Finland are showing , Large & Extra large cycling  jackets in Gamex   49 euro's posted to UK . 
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #13 on: 31 December, 2020, 06:30:17 pm »
Posted to UK LOL  ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2020, 07:13:04 pm »
And bibshorts for only EUR20.40. Too cheap to be true?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2020, 08:19:46 pm »
But unfortunately no yellow xxl.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #16 on: 31 December, 2020, 09:05:16 pm »
Gabba type fabrics have somewhat taken over the performance wet weather scene.
Gabbas are good, but need the right technical wash and regular re- treatment to maintain performance.
Castelli RoS ( Rain or Shine) ( I think it’s a Gore-type material) performs well in my experience.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2020, 09:06:23 pm »
My Large (I think) fluo yellow Gamex is free for collection from NW London for the first person to send me a personal message.

I'd say they are wind-resistant rather than windproof.

Worn, marked with the odd inevitable oil stain, no holes as far as I know, status of any elastic unknown.

« Reply #18 on: 03 January, 2021, 02:23:38 pm »
Surely I’m not the only person to have a red/white/blue AUK Gamex top from approx turn of the century? Not worn it for years, a pretext-type sleeveless gilet seems to have taken over - not that I’ve done many miles in non-balmy weather in recent years.

« Reply #19 on: 19 January, 2021, 04:35:35 pm »
Pertex comes in different weaves / construction.  If you are after a softer feel and more breathability take a look at Pertex Equilibrium.

« Reply #20 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:14:45 pm »
Noret used to do Gamex tops in club designs; I have one that is about 25 years old and slightly ripped from going down the road. Just out of curiosity (spurred on by this thread) I checked their website. No Gamex although there is a windproof garment that looks to be the equivalent. No price available so I guess you have to put in an order to get a price. Apparently they have a very small minimum order (something like 5 garments if I understood the comments on the french long distance forum correctly). I forget what the new material is called. I did try googling it and got nowhere.