Author Topic: Tour de France 2019  (Read 21391 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Tour de France 2019
« on: 12 June, 2019, 02:43:25 pm »
Froome out with a broken leg...
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Tour de France 2019
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2019, 03:02:27 pm »
That's his career over, I think.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:07:09 pm »
It will be if Bernal puts in a good showing this year.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:13:43 pm »
Broken femur, I imagine that'll take a while to recover from and then rebuild capability, even with the attention he'll get.

has anyone ever come back from anything that serious to be a GC contender?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:16:32 pm »
I see Adam Yates is leading the Dauphine.

rob

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:31:31 pm »

Pantani

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:36:19 pm »
Broken femur, I imagine that'll take a while to recover from and then rebuild capability, even with the attention he'll get.

Marco Pantani springs to mind.

He placed 2nd at the Giro and 3rd at the TdF (winning the young riders' competition) in 1994. He was only 13th at the TdF in 1995 but won the young riders' competition again, and then shattered his left tibia and fibia in a collision with a car at the Milan-Torino.

He sat out most of the 1996 season before placing 3rd at the TdF in 1997.

Conversely, Joseba Beloki placed 3rd overall in the TdF in 2000, 2001 and 2002, but was never the same rider after that crash in the 2003 TdF.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:40:13 pm »
But....Froome is in his mid 30s. If he staged a comeback in 2 years he'd be the oldest TdF winner ever.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:42:23 pm »
Well ...

« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:46:34 pm »
Don't like seeing anyone out with injury.  Hope he gets well soon.

Lemond is the most obvious one.
G has broken multiple bones, most famously his pelvis on Stage 1 of the 2013 Tour
Roche had a severe knee injury in 1986
Dirty Bertie had a cerebral cavernoma

My money is on Bernal now.

« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2019, 05:12:33 pm »
Coppi and pasted

1939: he fell and cracked his ankle
1942: on June 23rd , at Vigorelli velodrome in Milan, he fell and broke his collar-bone
1950: at the Giro d'Italia, in Primolano, he fell down and broke his pubis
1951: he fell down in Turin and broke again his collar-bone
1952: he fell down in Perpignano and broke his shoulder blade
1954: while he was training near Pavia , Coppy was collided by a spare wheel lost by a truck. He cracked his skull and injuried the left knee
1956: Coppi caught the typhus
1956: he fell down near Ferrara and needed to wear a special corset due to an injury of the vertebrae
1956: in Copenaghen he fell down and , again, injuried his vertebrae.
1957: Coppi fell down in Sassari and broke his thigh-bone
1959: he was collided by a tractor while he was training and got some injuries at his head
often lost.

« Reply #11 on: 12 June, 2019, 05:26:26 pm »
But....Froome is in his mid 30s. If he staged a comeback in 2 years he'd be the oldest TdF winner ever.

TBF, ElyDave didn't specifically ask if anyone had come back from a major injury at Froome's age, but certainly taking that into account - and if the injury is as bad as I have seen claimed elsewhere - I'd agree that any more grand tour wins are unlikely.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2019, 06:43:38 pm »
Depends on the injury, the nature of which we do not know yet.
If he has smashed the neck of femur to bits (like Beloki) or if he has suffered a supra-condylar knee fracture, its a huge ask to come back quickly.
If its a simple shaft fracture, the surgery is relatively quick and simple; he'll be up and about non weight bearing with an intra-medullary femoral nail in days, partial weight bearing and spinning in 3-4 weeks and could be back on the bike (with strict instructions not to fall off) in 8-10 weeks. The fracture would be completely united in 12 weeks. His haematocrit should also be back to normal by then.
Speaking from experience, more problems tend to arise with the more extensive surgery required to fix complex fractures...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2019, 07:40:30 pm »
Nobody French will be sad.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2019, 08:14:50 pm »
Well it simplifies the job for the the Team SkyIneos DS this year. No need to work out who the team will be riding for.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2019, 09:37:18 pm »
The reason I asked was becaus I (correctly or not) kind of have this idea that a femur fracture is right up there in the "oh f@$k, that's serious" bracket, vs a broken wrist, collar bone, shoulder blade, ankle etc.

Broken pelvis would also go in that category as would spinal injuries.  I know you can have some very nasty ankle  fractures as well - i've seen a few of them - but I'm just generalising here. Also thinking how long it has really taken me to recover from a relatively small fracture in my own pelvis.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #16 on: 12 June, 2019, 10:47:34 pm »
According to the latest news, it seems he has also broken an arm/elbow and several ribs - quite major polytrauma. Looks like a probable extended recovery period an that case - difficult to mobilise on crutches with a broken arm!. Still no news as to the type of femur fracture as far as I can see...

Edit: Later news indicates even more extensive injury: Hip, femur, arm/elbow and ribs - in intensive care and likely to have more sessions in theatre to stabilise and fix. Very bad news for timely recovery...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 12 June, 2019, 11:16:49 pm »
The four-time Tour de France champion, 34, has suffered a fractured right femur, a broken hip, a fractured elbow and fractured ribs and lost consciousness following the crash.

Speaking to Radio 5 Live's BeSpoke podcast, Brailsford said: "He's been operated on to make sure that first phase of medical care is as optimal as possible and we will manage it from there. It's an evolving situation. It is concerning, there is no doubt about that.

"He's not in great shape. There are crashes and bad crashes and this was a bad crash."

So that's quite a lot of crash.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #18 on: 13 June, 2019, 07:04:33 am »
Hip, femur, elbow and ribs. Ouch.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2019, 08:44:03 am »
I think the hip might be the biggest problem there, in terms of recovery time.  Look at Andy Murray - return to singles in 2019, not even a mention of challenging for places

« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2019, 09:03:36 am »
Apologies. Didn't quite appreciate the extent of his injuries and didn't mean to make light of them.

fuzzy

« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2019, 09:29:44 am »
The reason I asked was becaus I (correctly or not) kind of have this idea that a femur fracture is right up there in the "oh f@$k, that's serious" bracket, vs a broken wrist, collar bone, shoulder blade, ankle etc.

Broken pelvis would also go in that category as would spinal injuries.  I know you can have some very nasty ankle  fractures as well - i've seen a few of them - but I'm just generalising here. Also thinking how long it has really taken me to recover from a relatively small fracture in my own pelvis.

When I got first aid training in the police as guidance for possibly being forst on scene at serious injury collisions etc. we were advised that the risk with a broken femur is the very real possibility of the break also damaging the femoral artery causing life threatening blood loss.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2019, 12:03:39 pm »

Depends on what in the pelvis is actually fractured.  I had an xray for a (fortunately only bruised) hip, and the A&E consultant pointed out where G.'s fracture was and why he was able to carry on riding with it, whereas had it happened somewhere else he would have been out for months.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

ElyDave

« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2019, 12:55:37 pm »
With my fracture I wasn't capable of getting on the bike until 6 weeks later - I logged a 20 min turbo session.

The bigger issue is in the upset musculature due to my compensation for the injury.  I had physio every other week whereas I assume these guys have access far more regularly and immediately.

« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2019, 01:08:00 pm »
Well it simplifies the job for the the Team SkyIneos DS this year. No need to work out who the team will be riding for.
Thomas or Bernal?