Author Topic: A January 200k  (Read 1966 times)

Re: A January 200k
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2009, 06:54:43 pm »
I pick up a small section of the LEL (London-Edinburgh-London) route on this section, as I rode up towards Elton and then Wansford.  I probably follow it for about seven or so miles.  I then depart from the LEL route at Wansford.  The LEL route follows the A47 easterly, whereas I follow it westerly.  This is the section I dislike the least, as this is quite a busy road, and is totally uninteresting.  I really must find an alternative to this stretch.  Thankfully, I do not follow it for long, but long enough for at least two cars to overtake me dangerously close at high speed.

Elton, turn L
R@T to Nassington.
R in Apethorpe
R in Kings Cliffe

That'll miss out most of the A47 and is a nice ride. A few extra miles though.

Or you could go straight on in Kings Cliffe and go to Oakham via Harringworth, which is also a nice ride.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
Re: A January 200k
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2009, 06:40:13 pm »
I pick up a small section of the LEL (London-Edinburgh-London) route on this section, as I rode up towards Elton and then Wansford.  I probably follow it for about seven or so miles.  I then depart from the LEL route at Wansford.  The LEL route follows the A47 easterly, whereas I follow it westerly.  This is the section I dislike the least, as this is quite a busy road, and is totally uninteresting.  I really must find an alternative to this stretch.  Thankfully, I do not follow it for long, but long enough for at least two cars to overtake me dangerously close at high speed.

Elton, turn L
R@T to Nassington.
R in Apethorpe
R in Kings Cliffe

That'll miss out most of the A47 and is a nice ride. A few extra miles though.

Or you could go straight on in Kings Cliffe and go to Oakham via Harringworth, which is also a nice ride.

+1 to that alternative (although you do miss out on the nice view across the Nene valley from the ridge road between Elton and Wansford). My parents live in Nassington - which may prove a cheeky pit stop during LEL! - and some of the routes through there are very nice. As an added bonus, if you're lucky, you may see Mr Bean himself whilst riding through his home village of Apethorpe or loitering in one of his expensive motors outside the co-op in Kingscliffe!

Just thought of another - coming into Wansford, head over the bridge and turn left at the crossroads. Follow the road around to the right and, before you get to the A47, take a left towards Kingscliffe. A more uninspired route than that suggested by Teethgrinder, but less miles and does the job.