Author Topic: RR:Brief Summary of PBP  (Read 2107 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
RR:Brief Summary of PBP
« on: 31 March, 2008, 02:36:33 pm »
Here is the short version of my PBP ride- just the out bound bit.
My frame number was 4108

Great fun on the Grand Depart from Paris, down closed main roads.  No hills to speak of for the first 150km?  Wet from 10pm onwards

Stopped briefly at the not-a-Controlle at Montage to put on overshoes
Stopped for breakfast at a Tabac.
Villaines-la-Juhel Controlle was full on, the whole town was turned over to PBP insanity.   Had another breakfast and was going well.  At Ribay however, disaster!  I'd left my Brevet card at JV!! Lost 2 hours going back, finding card.  Met MattC who helped me make up time.
"me and MattC making up time"
me and MattC making up time
Couldn't find bag drop at Fougères

Run in to Tinténiac tres vite, thanks to drafting a fast solo American

On the way to Loudéac started to feel very dozy.  Lost pace.  Problem was I couldn't afford to do that at this point.  Had to make Loudéac and sleep properly.  Took 5 in a shelter and ate two caffeinated gels.  No effect.  Last ditch desperate untried measure was putting on loud techno on the mp3 player.  This worked, raising my cadence/heart rate/level of wakeness/speed in an alarming fashion.  Kept this up for an hour, over took numerous groups, got to Loudéac

The sign saying I was in Loudéac
Eat, shower, 2 hours on canteen floor at Loudéac

Breakfast, then up over hills to Carhaix.  Very much like Devon.

After Carhaix up "La Roc" the biggest single climb of the event.  Took it nice and steady, 20kph on the easier, lower slopes.  Didn't follow any fast wheels - have to come back over this today!  Met IanH. 

The famous bridge at Brest
Had spaghetti in Brest then back.  Met NickW.  Didn't climb well until the last 25% of La Roc on the way back.

Message about retour next

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
RR:Re: Brief Summary of PBP
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2008, 02:37:11 pm »
Started climbing back up from Brest to Carhaix.
Met NickW, he was not going fast enough for me however so I had to leave him
On the climb proper (La Roc) didn't go well until the final 25%
Great descent, went on for miles into Carhaix
Sprayed WD40 at bagdrop bus on misbehaving rear mech
Carhaix back to Loudeac difficult, stopped for coffee at St Martin Des Pres and was offered a bed but the time limits didn't allow this- shame.
Had a bad attack of the dozies on the way back to Loudeac and had to team up with Americans to talk to to stay awake.  This slowed me right up and only had enough time in hand for 40 minutes sleep at Loudeac.
Woke up depressed.  It had been raining on and off for the whole ride, the weather was not clearing up and I realised I simply was not enjoying PBP at all.  Tempted to pack there and then but for some reason I carried on.  Limped into Tinteniac lacking power and motivation.  Felt like I had used up my beans for PBP.  However, I spoke to Pete Marshall and he reminded me that everyone has bad patches that are quite extended at this stage of the game.  Sort of encouraged by this I resolved to carry on at a very easy pace in the hope of provoking a good patch instead.
Rode with a AUK guy ( sorry I don't remember your name but I'm glad about your daughters exam results ) and Dan from the US, but originally Romanian.  Dan had ankle trouble but bizarrely had not heard of ibrophen.  I gave him a couple and this seem to help.  I also had an ankle twinge.
Stopped at Fougeres for a good feed up.  Also found an operational and clean loo.
Left feeling strong.  Raining again but this stopped after a few mins.  Towed another AUK at a good pace along the roller coaster hills overtaking numerous groups before slowing and being overtaken again.  Stopped at pharmacy to get stuff for ankle.
Arrived at Villaines la Juhel for the second time.   Thanked various people who'd helped me with missing card.  Teamed up with Maladict to bang on to Mortagne in the dark and rain.
Got an attack of the dozies and nearly had a head on with a car.
Rain stopped and miracluously found a haystack, had 15 minutes of blissful sleep under a dark sky with only the swish of passing cycles.
Kept moving towards Montage, Maladict had the knock but recovered and lost me
Arrived at Montage very wet but with 2 hours in hand for sleep.  Feet were wet and covered in pressure sores, could barely walk, so treated with sudocream
Next morning quick breakfast of fresh croissant- gave extra to a bored looking Teethgrinder.  And a bit of flapjack.  Well he is always hungry after all.  Noticed a flu like cold developing.
Left Montage in good spirits, going well passing many people on hills.
Passed Charlotte/Mega10

Teamed up with Andrew Denner of the Willesden for a while
In and out of Dreux as quick as possible.  It was now warm enough to wear shorts(!)  Bought a sandwich.  Met MSeries.  Stopped for more food.  Went on.
When Paris seemed near enough threw caution to the wind.  I wanted this ride to finish.  Put in speed effort.  Finished at approx 3pm, approx an hour in hand