Author Topic: ACF Wales Weekend, May 2008  (Read 3155 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
ACF Wales Weekend, May 2008
« on: 31 May, 2008, 11:53:01 pm »
Sadly, three of the eight original participants were unable to be with us, so this was a very select band of people.

Saturday 24th May.

Quite unusually, Jan and I were quite well organised, having packed almost everything the previous day, so after getting up at 6 a.m. we were on the road by 7.20.

The journey was largely uneventful: we had a piddle stop at Watford Gap, we had eaten our sandwiches by 11.30, there we few hold-ups and we arrived in Dolgellau soon after 1 p.m. We telephoned Ellen to be told, not surprisingly, that they were still in Kent. We went shopping in the Spar shop.

We found the Youth Hostel but there was a notice on the door which said that they didn't open until 5 p.m. so we drove around a bit, visited a pub by a lake quite close to Cader Idris, and, over a pint of Butty Bach, watched a couple of guys fly-fishing from a boat. We decided that we needed some more food so we drove back into Dolgellau and Jan walked round Somerfield while I had a sleep in the car. Then we decided that the George III pub in Penmaenpool needed an inspection, where I had Cwrw (Welsh for "ale"). The time was now almost 5 p.m. so re returned to the hostel, signed in and unloaded the car. Once we had settled in we enjoyed a nice cup of tea sitting on the George Sutherland Memorial Seat while waiting for Ellen and Ben to arrive. They still didn't so we had a short walk up a footpath towards Cader Idris. We passed through a small wood filled with stunted oaks whose trunks were festooned with sphagnum moss.

At the top of the path there was a ruined Calvinist Methodist Chapel whose graveyard is still in use. From here there is a marvellous view of the mountain. It was bathed in sunshine and looked quite formidable.

As one might expect, there is plenty of bird life about. There are house martins immediately above our bedroom window, a cuckoo at it non-stop in the valley, chaffinches, goldcrests, blackcaps, wrens and a willow warbler. Ellen and Ben arrived around 8 p.m. Quite late, there was a knock at the door and Teethgrinder arrived. He had ridden from Milton Keynes - only 180 miles. I don't know what had kept him.

Sunday 25th May

I had slept reasonably well, notwithstanding periodic kicks aimed at the bunk above me in a vain effort to try to persuade my lovely wife to stop snoring.

We got up at about 7.45 and indulged in a very good cooked breakfast during which we decided we would try to tackle Cader Idris. The hostel staff told us that a severe weather warning had been issued for 1 p.m. but that we had plenty of time to be up there and back long before then. Of  course, Jan and I are familiar with the walking time estimates of others so we reckoned that we should be at the summit by 1 p.m. and on the way back down some time later.

Initially it was quite easy walking but shortly after we crossed the road above the hostel it was time to employ the Lekis. There was a party of youths following us and paying earnest attention to their Landranger maps. It was a bit pointless really because the summit, indeed, the entire mountain, was not exactly inconspicuous, occupying as it did most of the skyline, and the path up it was well-trodden and obvious. They seemed to gain confidence from following us so I turned on the Garmin and held it in front of me just to show what a serious mountaineer I was, but it was a gesture of total practical futility as it only shows roads and there weren't any where we were going.

As we climbed, so the weather became worse and out came the waterproofs. Also the wind was rising. It came in gusts, very much as it had done on An Teallach a couple of years ago and at times it was very hard to stand up even when bracing oneself with a couple of Lekis dug into the ground. Steve looked at times as though he were going to be blown away but he managed to find some purchase on the rocks with his cycling shoes and cleats. Rarely, if ever, have I experienced a wind so strong.

Jan decided that it was too much for her and sat a few hundred metres from the summit while I followed Ben, Ellen and Steve to the trig point at the top.

It wasn't long before we had had enough of that, so we made our way down. It was hard going for the knees and ankles, and on a couple of occasions, whilst bracing myself against the wind, I noticed small stones and pieces of shale being lifted up by the wind and blown along the path - erosion in action! Gradually our snail-like descent took us into rather more benign conditions and eventually we reached the road and while following the riverside path back towards Hafod Diwyll camp site we saw a dipper.

After taking tea in the lounge, we piled into the car and went to the George where Cwrw and steak and ale pie were the order of the day, followed by some raspberry and apple crumble.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Re: ACF Wales Weekend, May 2008
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2008, 12:41:52 am »
Monday 26th May

I awoke around 4.30 a.m. to the sound of a cuckoo drifting in through the open bedroom window, the first time in my life I had heard one without having to get out of bed. The next time I was properly conscious was when Jan was climbing down from the top bunk. It was after 8 a.m. and almost time for breakfast.

Ben and Ellen drove into Dolgellau to hire some bikes and the other three of us cycled along the Mawddach trail to join them. Soon we were heading back the other way with a fairly helpful tailwind.

When we reached Barmouth bridge, the cross-wind was so strong that we were unable to cycle.

We paid £1 for the privilege and were thus let loose in Barmouth. We stopped at some tea rooms as whereas the rest of us settled for bara brith with our drink, Steve decided upon a steak and stilton panini. It's amazing how much he can put away for a little guy.

Ben and Ellen returned along the Mawddach trail to Dolgellau while we headed south along the A493 to look for some off-the-beaten tracks which would lead to the Cader Idris road.

After a good deal of pushing, pulling, puffing and panting we emerged on a very narrow metalled road in a pine forest. Now we were heading generally north-east and the wind which at sea level had been trying to blow us off the Barmouth Bridge was now a headwind at about 900 feet above sea level.

I cannot recall having cycled into such a strong wind. Downhill sections which would normally have yielded more than 30 mph had to be pedalled at 15 or less. There was one hill, chevronned, where we did manage to freewheel to about 25 mph, but Steve, who was pedalling, couldn't catch our wheel and we dropped him briefly. We had a look at the Gwernan Lake Hotel, where two days earlier we had watched the fly fishermen, and had some more Butty Bach, and then phoned Ben & Ellen, who returned to the hostel bearing fish and chips.

There was a short shower around 6 p.m. but it didn't last long. The warden had remarked that they were in desperate need of rain as the hostel's water supply was in danger of drying up.

Tuesday 26th May.

We rode to Harlech and back, visiting Mrs. Miggin's Pie Shop and the Castle.

There's not a great deal to report. The weather steadily improved in that the wind had dropped and later in the afternoon the sun shone. On the return trip an oik in a car threw a plastic bottle at us. It hit Jan on the shoulder then bounced onto my back, doing no harm. The most perplexing part was that the car concerned had two bikes on a rack at the back.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2008, 10:00:52 am »
Wednesday 28th May

We left Kings fairly early, saying our farewells to Ellen, Ben and Steve, and made for Dolgellau. I wanted some mudguard stay bolts and bought some but surprisingly found that the stays were too thick to go through the holes. We bought petrol at 119.4p per litre and headed to Machynlleth via the Cross Foxes. There is a wonderful downhill section here which I would love to do on the tandem. It's almost straight, very long and nowhere too steep that you would lose control, but almost certainly good enough for 50+ mph.

We had elevenses in Machynlleth and found another bike shop but again had no luck with the mudguard bolts. It's beginning to look as though I will have to ask Thorn for some. We took the minor road from Machynlleth via Forge and Dylife to Llanidloes, and this has to be about the most monster climb I have driven up. If Gill & Toekneep were in the habit of cycling up this on a regular basis then they are elevated to the status of deities in my eyes. From there we took the B-road to Rhayader, one on which we cycled about a year ago. Clive Powell, we thought, would surely have some mudguard bolts, and there were plenty of places for lunch.

Clive Powell's bike shop was closed for lunch so, since we still had some food left over from the youth hostel, we sat in the car and ate ham sandwiches and flapjack. Clive returned from his lunch but was no more use than the other two shops had been.

It was soon time to go and we crossed the mountain road in the pouring rain. It hadn't abated since we left Dolgellau.

Blaen y Ddol is strange without Richard and Anne, whose brainchild it was and who ran it for 24 years. Brenda is very pleasant and cooks a superb meal, but the first thing that hit us when we walked through the door was the fag smoke. It turns out that Brenda doesn't go walking either, so one wonders how many "regulars" won't go back because she's a smoker and how she will keep interest in new clients. It is so far off the beaten track that she would never pick up any passing trade.

Thursday 29th May.

I awoke very early again this morning to see the sun shining and a mist hanging over the river.

My second awakening was at about the right time so we dressed, went downstairs and tucked into breakfast.

Jan & I took the route for the Cors Caron walk, which is linear, starting at Blaen y Ddol, finishing in Tregaron and then you catch the bus back. We turned it into a very good bike ride. We left the house via the footbridge over the Ystwyth

and then headed west and south to Pontrhydfendigaid along the B4343. We ground our way up the steep hill to Tynycraig, and for lengthy spells the computer registered 1.8 mph! When we reached the top we heard a cuckoo across a very green meadow. I cuckooed back and he very obediently came to find me

and was being mobbed by four small birds which I think were greenfinches. He settled in the tree above us, and all that was visible was his tail.

Then we enjoyed a steepish descent but slightly overshot the turn-off onto the disused Manchester - Milford Haven railway line, but found it at the second attempt. It was pretty rough cycling to start with because the track had been relaid with a new batch of stones which had yet to bed in, but after a while we reached a more settled stretch and things became smoother.

Cors Caron is a wonderful place, an ancient lake formed when glacial deposits blocked the Teifi valley and which gradually silted up. We crossed the Teifi, still only a few miles old from its source above Strata Florida.

We stopped at a bird hide where we saw a swan, a buzzard, a few ducks and some reed warblers.

A little further along the track there was a thoroughly avant-garde public lavatory, beautifully built and appointed and with a solar panel on the roof for electricity.
It reminded me very strongly of Southend's new radio station, being all hard wood and yellow paint, and we wondered if it was where our very own Simon L3 got the idea for his design.

After making good use of the facility, we carried on to Tregaron and found the Cambrian Café where we had tea and cake whilst trying to to follow the various conversations which were going on in Welsh. When we left we saw signs to a museum and red kite centre so we went and looked around that and sat in a Victorian schoolroom where we watched a video about kites and the Cambrian mountains generally.

From here we climbed a very narrow mountain road but didn't go too far along it: it would climb very high and was not really on our itinerary for the day, but we did find a suitable spot to eat lunch, overlooking a field containing three donkeys. Then we headed for Strata Florida, a ruined Cistercian abbey on the banks of the Teifi.

On the way up Abbey Road we saw a small black and white bird. My first thought was that it was a lesser spotted woodpecker but a closer inspection revealed it to be a pied flycatcher and we watched it for several minutes as it fed its fledged baby.

We looked around the abbey

and then it was time to return to Pontrhydfendigaid for some beer. Unfortunately both Lions, Red and Black, were closed. After that we ground our way up the steep hill to Ffair-rhos but even the Teifi Arms, which had a big OPEN sign in the window, let us down, so there was nothing left for it than to swoop down the steep, bendy and hair-raising descent back to Pontrhydygroes and dinner.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2008, 10:21:59 am »
Great reports WB, you do seem to have had some nicer weather for the latter part of your trip. That last ride sounds great, we have touched on some of it but not all. Another plan for the future.

/quote
If Gill & Toekneep were in the habit of cycling up this on a regular basis then they are elevated to the status of deities in my eyes.
/quote

We only ever did it once and if you want a real hero then it has to be MecWales who took delivery of a second hand fixed bike in Machynlleth and promptly rode up that hill back home, his first time on fixed!

GillP

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2008, 10:38:22 am »
Lovely report Wow, you have made me quite homesick for Wales

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2008, 10:39:57 am »
Friday 30th May

We decided to try out the new cycle route along the old railway to Aberystwyth, but before we had gone two miles some very unpleasant noises were emanating from my right pedal. It was clear that the bearing was disintegrating but although it stiffened up occasionally, it kept going all the way in.

We joined the Sustrans route near Trawsgoed, but having made an effort to climb up to it, it then immediately sloped steeply downwards back towards the deserted B-road we had left, where the bridge had long since gone. The first stretch was covered with tree debris, no doubt the results of the strong winds earlier in the week. We rejoined the Sustrans route and it followed the river for quite a long way. We met a couple of dog walkers who told us that when the trains ran along that track they had always had difficulty stopping at Trawscoed station when such a thing existed, often overshooting the platform and then having to reverse back to it. This same couple, who had clearly lived in the area for a long time, told us that they had never seen otters on the Ystwyth and that Summit Cycles in Aberystwyth ought to be able to sort out our bike problems.

It was not long before we were in Aberystwyth and we hurtled down the steep hill at more than 43 mph. We found the bike shop, replaced the pedals and the mudguard bolt, posted some cards and then stopped on the promenade for our lunch. We cycled the entire length of the prom and stopped on the jetty where the Ystwyth and the Rheidol meet the sea. While we were there we saw some dolphins, which were showing themselves quite close in, but I couldn't get a photograph. We then returned to the town centre where we enjoyed tea and I had some very rich chocolate cake whilst Jan had lemon meringue pie, at the aptly named Dolphin Café.

We decided to return to Blaen y Ddol via the Rheidol Gorge. This involved following the A44 for a little under a mile and then taking a right turn through a rather grotty industrial estate before the road once again became rural.

We returned to the A44 where we found an open pub. There was a car outside with a Thorn tandem strapped to the roof so we felt obliged to have a drink. We discussed our proposed route with the tandem owner and he told us that the climb out of the Rheidol gorge was "the toughest in the whole of Wales". I would imagine that the Brian Chapman participants might well have something to say about that.

The Rheidol Valley is very fine indeed and initally it was easy cycling. We had a wonderful view of a red kite which had been perched in a young oak tree.

and we saw another pair of pied flycatchers. We cycled just beyond the Rheidol Falls before retracing our steps and beginning the climb.

In the space of a mile we climbed around 900 feet, eventually reaching the A4120. We also crossed the railway and saw the train steaming up to Aberffrwdd station.

Once we reached the A-road the cycling became much easier but we looked back to survey what we had achieved.

We came across a house called Plinlimon View and recalled that we had walked that way some three years previously with Jan's sister Clare. From Trisant, we had a lovely swooping run back to Blaen y Ddol, almost all of it close to 40 mph as we leaned into the bends - a most exhilarating finish to the holiday.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2008, 11:16:30 am »

You can see the wind in this one!
It is simpler than it looks.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2008, 03:16:30 pm »
Excellent pics and a grand few days in Wales.

H

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:25:35 pm »
Very nice, Wow--it looks like a great trip. Nice pictures, too, and of course I share your tendency to favor scenery and birds while out...
scottclark.photoshelter.com