Author Topic: A shakedown cruise  (Read 1772 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
A shakedown cruise
« on: 04 August, 2008, 12:50:32 pm »
Cycling brings new experiences. Never before have I said to a woman, let alone my wife "Just open your legs slightly so I can grab that strap", least not in the porch of a church. Inside Erwarton church, deep in crypt, beneath the organ, nestling in a casket, Anne Boleyn's heart didn't miss a beat. Outside, the rain teamed down. I was helping my wife, Kirsty, into her Rainlegs.

We were on a shakedown cruise. Earlier in the week her new bike had arrived, a Trek 7.3FX WSD.

Alton Water, Suffolk was circumnavigated with only a single clipless moment to disturb the tranquillity. Whilst Kirsty did her best to remain upright I wondered why the Garmin was sending us round our route the wrong way, we were supposed to be exploring the Shotley Peninsula before venturing round the reservoir.

The weather had started cloudy but the sun came out as we cycled away from Alton Water, toward Holbrook and then past the Royal Hospital School. It was built in 1712 for the orphans of sailors and the children of wounded seaman. Now it’s a posh looking co-ed private school.

The Bakers Arms at Harkstead was advertising roast Sunday lunches for £7.50. The sun was still out so we ate in the garden. I had chicken, Kirsty had beef. Being married to a qualified chef means you learn stuff. She was served over cooked beef so I now know that you cook it rare and then if the customer wants it well done you lob a couple of slices in a very hot pan for a second or two. The draught Aspalls cider was good, as was my Greene King Sundance. You know you've got a good pint when to you can photograph your wife through it.

Over lunch I sorted the Garmin out and as we left the pub the rain started, large summer drops at first. They didn't last long and the waterproofs quckly came out of the pannier. We dived into Erwarton church to escape the deluge and track down Anne's ticker.  Now that at least one of us was protected by Rainlegs we decided to brave the rain.  We turned off the road and pedalled west along bridleways back towards Holbrook.  The value of a shakedown cruise became evident as Kirsty discovered the saddle on her new bike didn’t suit her bottom.  There was a bit of moaning!

Soon we were back at Alton Water and the car.  The bikes were loaded onto the roof and we popped into the visitor centre for hot drinks and cake.

The verdict on the new Trek is good.  The saddle has already come off and Kirsty’s Brooks B67S now sits on the seat post.  Relief won’t be immediate as the saddle still needs breaking in but its worth a try.  The 32c Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case tyres will be replaced by Schwalbe Marathon XR 35c boots, there is just enough mudguard clearance.  We have used these on Tina the Tandem and they are excellent on mixed surfaces, we like towpaths and bridleways.

Next weekend we go on our first cycle tour  :o