Author Topic: YCR Pedal For Punds 2008  (Read 1385 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
YCR Pedal For Punds 2008
« on: 08 September, 2008, 03:16:20 pm »
I was in 2 minds about posting this as I went through pain, both physical and emotional on this ride, but I did enjoy it, so here goes(and apologies if it is not up to the usual standards of RRs on this board)...

For the third year running I had agreed to take part in this ride, partly because it supports a great charity (and one that is close to my heart) and partly because it is a great ride, (mostly) along quiet roads and lanes, with one or two killer climbs thrown in for good measure.  There are 2 routes, a short one and a long one.  Both routes usse the same first 19 miles or so, then the short route loops back into the grounds of Harewood House whilst the long carries onto Otley and Lindley before returning.

Waking early (for a Sunday) I got dressed, tried to force down a coffee, felt slightly sick so didn't bother with the porridge, opting for a bowl of shredded wheat instead.  Into the car for the 20 mile drive to Harewood House, admiring the new lakes and water features that had cropped up across the North Yorkshire farmlands due to the rain the night before.  "this could be, er, interesting" I thought to myself.  I arrived at 7:45, registered then attempted to get my stomach ache to settle before the off at 8:30.  Didn't manage it, so I had to set off in the hope that it would settle on the way.  We had the usual talking to about "this is not a race" "it's about raising money" etc then were set off in groups as people got ready.  I was in the first group but I made sure this year that I was towards the front, there were a few occasions last year where people came a cropper due to trying to pass people who were not watching what they were doing, I didn't want to be one of them!

We swooped down through HH grounds, then onto the A61 from a short stretch before turning off onto the back lanes towards Collingham.  I was getting a good pace along here, dispite the soaking I was getting from Britain's finest weather.  Just before Collingham the rain stopped and the sun made an appearence, and would be keeping an eye on me for the rest of the route.  at the first feed stop in Collingham I decided to take off my coat to keep cool and then headed up the first minor climb of the day, we looped out then back in towards Scarcroft to head up to Moortown via Shadwell.  A nice flt bit through Adel was followed by a gentle climb up to Bramhope and on past the airport, still climbing gently until the demon descent that is chevin Bank.  This is interesting at the best of times, but was made doubly so by the water running of the moors and down the road, in places it was 1-2cm deep and all the way across the road!  Once into Otley there is a gentle run throught he town centre before the climbing starts again up towards Lindley, and the bank past Lindley Wood reservoir.  Many many people (including myself) got about a 1/3 of the way up and elected to walk the rest until it flattens near the top, where there is a strategically placed bench, from which you can sit and watch all the other riders struggle up said hill.  I have to admit this was where two things happened, which are probably linked:
1) I got cramp in both legs, at the same time as I stood to step on my pedals.
2) I started on an emotional rollercoaster which I would stay on until after the finish line.

Anyways, enough of my own self pity, back to the ride.  Once round the right hand turning at the top of Lindley bank the ride turned into a moors road blast, only interupted for gate opening.  Once off the moors a blast through Stainburn, Weeton and Huby saw us on the last leg.  A quick chat with the marshalled informed me that I was currently 22 out of 55 on the long ride.  this cheered me up as the previous marshall had intimated that I was the last of the long ride participants (and didn't help the rollercoaster!).  A quick call to Mrs T telling her to make a brew and a blast along the A61 saw me entering HH via the Harewood Yard entrance, last two little hills and blast into the field to a round of applause from all the people sat around wondering why on earth they had done it, and admiring the will of those still returning.

I signed back in, received my certificate and medal and sat on the back of the car reflecting on the fact I had just completed a ride that, 2 hours earlier, I did not think I could do.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State